PDA

View Full Version : Lens rise not fixating on Linhof Super Technika IV 4x5

glebe
7-Jan-2015, 22:34
Hi everybody!
Can anybody familiar with Linhof Super Technica IV help me out with one issue. I just got my first LF camera and it seems to me that when I try to do a lens rise via adjusting knob on the bottom left side (looking at camera from the front), it does not get fixated and unrolls to initial position when left alone. Is that normal or should it hold in place? Just wondering what's missing there to hold it. on the counterpart there is just a plan a sprocket with an axis going from one side to another. in the middle of the axis there is some kind of a barrel with a ledge on a camera side - looks like these two should do the job of holding the position steadily.

Sorry if I missed anything on the rules of the forum, it's my first message here.

Stoogley
14-Jan-2015, 08:26
Hi Glebe

Not sure why this hasn't been answered yet.
I don't have a Linhof, but if the camera is designed to have a movement then it should lock down and "stick" where you put it. That's crucial.

Maybe Bob Soloman will bop in here and give specifics about the camera.

Bob Salomon
14-Jan-2015, 08:52
Of course a properly working Technika IV will maintain the height the front standard is set at. It is designed to be self-locking and should not come back down till the knob is turned. So your camera is in need of service.

But the IV is so old that parts may not be available since Linhof abandoned the use of the knob on all later models. Why not send an email to the Linhof factory and ask them?

Bill_1856
14-Jan-2015, 11:40
Try a little bit of thick grease (such of the lithium grease sold at swimming pool stores) on the rack.
It sounds like your rack is just work a lot, and is dry of lube.

glebe
15-Jan-2015, 01:28
Thanks for your responses.
I'll try the thick grease, at this point I just wanted somebody who has such camera to take a look how the locking mechanism looks like - probably i can fix it myself shortly knowing where to fix.
I'll also try emailing to linhof though, thanks for an advise.

Bob Salomon
15-Jan-2015, 03:46
Thanks for your responses.
I'll try the thick grease, at this point I just wanted somebody who has such camera to take a look how the locking mechanism looks like - probably i can fix it myself shortly knowing where to fix.
I'll also try emailing to linhof though, thanks for an advise.
Linhof does not use thick grease. They lubricate by using dissimilar metals. Grease will only produce more problems.

Steven Tribe
15-Jan-2015, 04:29
They lubricate by using dissimilar metals. Grease will only produce more problems.

In spite of my name, I wasn't the founder of Tribology. But I don't think there is any basis for saying dissimilar metals automatically reduce friction.

Jim Andrada
15-Jan-2015, 21:09
In fact under some circumstances dissimilar metals will cause "stiction" or exaggerated friction (Blish effect) as in the original breech design of the "Tommy Gun"

But in this case that might be exactly what"s desired.

glebe
16-Jan-2015, 01:08
In fact under some circumstances dissimilar metals will cause "stiction" or exaggerated friction (Blish effect) as in the original breech design of the "Tommy Gun"

But in this case that might be exactly what"s desired.

yes, actually that's what I'm looking for