PDA

View Full Version : LF Negative restoration needed

UncleVen
5-Jan-2015, 22:04
I recently purchased a photo from approx 1944-1947 of my godfather (deceased) at Notre Dame
it was sold off on ebay as part of a newspapers archive-

the negative has fingerprints and other anomalies on it - and I'd like to have it professionally cleaned
I know it can be restored digitally but I'd like to have it cleaned before I start down that road.

Looking for recommendations of a professional that could handle with strong reputation and knowldedge127600

Liquid Artist
5-Jan-2015, 22:33
Welcome to the forum,

Cool photo. However In my opinion the newspaper should have given it to you, or the first family member to ask about it.
With conditions of course, like copies upon request.

I can't help you with the restorations, although I used to do digital restorations. I haven't in years and choose not to sit in front of computers any more than necessary these days.

When you do get a restoration done I am going to suggest getting some high quality prints done and send them to all family members who would cherish them.
Then if something unthinkable happens you can always get another copy.

I am not convinced that Digital is truly archivable, and the format may not even be readable in a few computer generations.

Good luck, and please post the final outcome.

8x10 user
6-Jan-2015, 01:50
The best thing might be to send it out to be drum scanned. I'd like the scan operator know that you are sending in a dirty negative first. Film cleaner will take off the finger prints and other residues but there isnt much that can be done to repair actual damage to the film. The fluid mounting process will help some and a drum scan will be able to capture all of the details that are present.

Liquid Artist
6-Jan-2015, 02:25
I do agree with 8x10, and it's what I would do if it was mine.

The reason I didn't suggest drum scanning is the price may scare you.

Plus you may not really notice the difference, until poster size or larger. But then again you may.

mdarnton
6-Jan-2015, 05:39
This is probably expensive and excessive in this case, but it's the way archives handle things:
A friend of mine works here: http://www.albumenworks.com/ I guess what they'd do is clean the neg as possible, digitalize it, retouch, output a new negative, and make silver prints, if that's what you wanted.

UncleVen
6-Jan-2015, 06:45
This is probably expensive and excessive in this case, but it's the way archives handle things:
A friend of mine works here: http://www.albumenworks.com/ I guess what they'd do is clean the neg as possible, digitalize it, retouch, output a new negative, and make silver prints, if that's what you wanted.

Appreciate your suggestions here. Expensive and excessive doesn't scare me. I own a working Kodak RFS 3570 scanner I just need to acquire the proper negative frame. But having it cleaned properly and prepared for archival storage is very important as id like donate to the University of Notre Dame's archive eventually.

Recommendations of persons or labs that can handle this very much appreciated.
CAW seems to be exactly what I'm looking for!

I found the negative on eBay by the way- John was all American and Notre Dame were National Champions in 46-48 but it was luck that I found this. I have additional LF images that I got from the Notre Dame archives that are pretty amazing.