PDA

View Full Version : Loading A Roll Film Back

Jeffrey Sipress
21-Dec-2004, 13:55
Having just acquired a Horseman 6x12 back for my 4x5, I ran a coupla rolls thru this past week. Apparently I loaded the film incorrectly. When installing the roll of fresh film, should the film spool off on the side of the roll closer to the camera back or closer to the cover? Sort of under or over the roll?

David Kaplan
21-Dec-2004, 15:09
Jeffrey,

I have the same back.

An easy way to remember what goes where, is to put the empty (take-up spool on the side with the advance lever). The spool with the film then goes on the other side of the holder.

The printed side of the backing paper faces the pressure plate, with the black side of the backing paper facing out from the pressure plate.

Before putting the film insert into the back or clicking the little silver lever you need to line up the printed starting mark in the round hole in the preasure plate. Than you put the film insert the insert into the back, click the little silver lever and wind until the lever locks. After the exposure you click the lever and wind until the the lever locks. After the 6th frame the lever will not lock and you can wind the backing paper off of the feed spool.

It is not as complicated as it sounds once you get used to it.

Jeffrey Sipress
21-Dec-2004, 15:28
David, thanks a lot. That's exactly what I needed to know. I bought it without a manual from a guy who said, 'Oh, it's so easy. Nothing to it. You don't need a manual'. Right.

Three rolls wasted. Next one should show me something....

Jim Ewins
23-Dec-2004, 23:44
To gain a little more info on how it works, take one of the ruined rolls or a sacrifice cheap roll and load the holder. do not place the inner holder back inside the outer, but advance the film thru as if you were making exposures. you can mark the frames on the film at each advance and when done see the spacing etc.