PDA

View Full Version : Movin on up

ignatiusjk
5-Jan-2015, 14:12
I'm currently using Photo shop Version3 and want to move up to a higher version but I'm not sure what version to get.I was looking at CS5.Also is there a difference between Photo shop "lightroom" and CS5? How far up should I go???

John Kasaian
5-Jan-2015, 14:36
Try OmegaD2 :cool:

jp
5-Jan-2015, 14:42
I think the only step up from that currently offered would be the CC/CS6 versions for $10/mo. Lightroom is included in that. LR is for image management and quick/mass edits. Photoshop for the more complicated things.

Adamphotoman
5-Jan-2015, 16:39
You can still buy CS6 although Adobe does not make it easy. You have to do it over the phone. I am not a fan of light Room. What are you trying to do. Scan film / Raw capture ?

Preston
5-Jan-2015, 17:28
If the OP's version of Photo Shop is that old, he won't be able to get the upgrade price for CS6--He'd have to pay full price of $699. He'd be better off going with PS-CC and LR for $9.99/month.

Aside from getting bug fixes and updates to ACR, the subscription also comes with 'feature' updates and additional new features. With CS6, all he would get is bug fixes and updates to ACR.

At least to me, going with the subscription is a no-brainer in this case.

--P

ignatiusjk
5-Jan-2015, 18:14
Why can't I buy CS 5 or 6 on Ebay or something like that.I've look at Amazon and they want $1200.00.

Preston
5-Jan-2015, 23:02
Why can't I buy CS 5 or 6 on Ebay or something like that....

You probably could, but there is the possibility you would purchase a pirated copy, or a copy with malware.

Honestly, I think your best bet is to go with the Adobe PS-CC subscription. The price is pretty good, and you'd be assured of having legal and safe software.

--P

djdister
6-Jan-2015, 05:42
You probably could, but there is the possibility you would purchase a pirated copy, or a copy with malware.

--P

This is a very real possibility with ebay or craigslist purchased Photoshop. Or even if not a "pirated" copy, the newer versions (CS 5 or 6) have to register with the Adobe mothership to even function, and then you find out that that software serial number has already been registered by someone else and not usable for you.

ignatiusjk
6-Jan-2015, 17:08
OK How do I get the Adobe PS-cc subscription?

Kirk Gittings
6-Jan-2015, 18:57
https://creative.adobe.com/plans?single_app=photoshop make sure you check off your countries currency at the bottom.

Bill McMannis
6-Jan-2015, 20:19
.... is there a difference between Photo shop "lightroom" and CS5? How far up should I go???

Lightroom is a great tool, particularly for rapidly batch processing and cataloging digital images. I use it with my DSLR to import images, keyword them and rapidly develop RAW images using a preset that approximates Velvia's contrast and saturation. It automatically corrections lens distortion as well. From within LR, you can edit images by transferring to Photoshop when you need to do something "heavy duty.". This is typically, in my case, to when I need to do something out of the ordinary with layers. Keep in mind, sharpening and noise reduction, lens correction can be done in LR as well as PS. If you still are scanning film, LR will have limited use to you, but if you also shoot digital you will save countless hours processing digital in LR.

As mentioned above, for a mere $10 a month you can have both: PS (with Bridge) and LR. This is what I currently subscribe to. The wife has the full-blown Creative Suite as she also needs InDesign and Illustrator. Her monthly subscription is about $54,

gnuyork
14-Jan-2015, 18:49
I have used PS for many years, and I was hesitant to use Lightroom, but then I learned how to really use LR and it's amazing. I prefer it to working in PS by far. There a few things I need to go back to PS for, but not often.

Nathan Potter
15-Jan-2015, 11:37
Folks, I do my scanning on a MAC G5 and would like to load PS-cc subscription on that machine for convenience. Will that work?

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

Luis-F-S
15-Jan-2015, 12:05
You can still buy CS6 although Adobe does not make it easy.
We have CS6 & hate it. Use CS5.5, although I use all from CS1 to CS 4 on the older operating systems.

Adamphotoman
17-Jan-2015, 11:52
The main problem with subscription based software is that at some point an update will force an OS upgrade. If that is not feasible on an older machine then it forces one to buy a new machine.
I use both PS5 & 6. PS6 has a better content aware, but PS5 allows me to run some plugins in 32 bit mode. So I need both.
Capture One Pro 8 is another example. It won't run on 10.6.8, and it is not really compatible with Capture One Pro 7.

Tin Can
17-Jan-2015, 12:53
The main problem with subscription based software is that at some point an update will force an OS upgrade. If that is not feasible on an older machine then it forces one to buy a new machine.
I use both PS5 & 6. PS6 has a better content aware, but PS5 allows me to run some plugins in 32 bit mode. So I need both.
Capture One Pro 8 is another example. It won't run on 10.6.8, and it is not really compatible with Capture One Pro 7.

Yes, and I just upgraded to a new machine to handle big scans. Upgrading computers, OS and PS is simply a fact of life at least every 5 years!

I do remember what it was like 20, 15, 10 even 5 years ago. Not so hot, is how I see it.

Adamphotoman
17-Jan-2015, 22:37
Randy,
It's not so much that I will need to upgrade machines, it is that I will have to when they say I have to.

At least with the older model I can wait until I am ready!!!!!!!

Tin Can
17-Jan-2015, 23:45
I always plan well ahead.

However life does happen by accident.

Adamphotoman
19-Jan-2015, 21:25
Yeah I plan too. That is why I own my software.

Tin Can
19-Jan-2015, 21:37
Yeah I plan too. That is why I own my software.

Do you really own it? I doubt it. You bought a license only.

Jac@stafford.net
19-Jan-2015, 21:45
Do you really own it? I doubt it. You bought a license only.

Right!

Taking it one more step, the last time I looked, the difference between Adobe 'Educational' software and the regular version was one line in the ULA that stated that an educational version license could not be transferred to another person by any means: selling, leasing, or even giving it away.