PDA

View Full Version : How I became a lens collector(not that anyone should care)

John Kasaian
4-Jan-2015, 11:25
So I've been going through all my 8x10 stuff and I start counting lenses. Yikes!
So last night I sat down and contemplated on which ones need to go.
A few are dedicated to the aerial camera bodies so those will stay with the bodies, whether or not the cameras are sold off so that cuts them from the herd.
One Rapid Rectilinear is missing--I know it's here but I just don't know where "here" is. OK it'll turn up eventually. and I'll deal with it then.
What concerned me was the following lengthly list of glass:
159mm Wollensak WA "Yellow Dot"
240mm G Claron
250mm WF Ektar
12" Dagor
14" Commercial Ektar
14" APO Artar
15" B&L Petzval
19" Red Dot Artar

Do I really need nine lenses? Here are my thoughts from last night:

The 159mm Wolly is quite useful. While I've seldom found a need for this wide a lens when shooting 8x10, at least I've got it if necessary (like photographing the interior of a small historic Chinese church down town.) I do put it to good use when shooting specimens 1:1 on a tabletop since I don't have to rack the bellows out to the county line, plus it serves me very well on the 5x7 & 4x5---near unlimited wiggle room and it's small enough to fit the lens boards on those smaller formats. It's a keeper.

The 240 G Claron is, like the Wolly, a little lens. It's very sharp and in a modern copal shutter. On hikes, this is the one I'll always take because it is so light and can be carried in situ with the lens board reversed. It has a useful amount of wiggle room for most situations and at f/32 is as sharp as Sophia Lauren in a black dress. It is easily my most used lens. Definitely a keeper.

The 250 WF Ektar is a huge lens with huge coverage. I've used it on architecture where the range of movements on the camera are taxed but the wiggle room on the mighty WF isn't. Neither the Wolly nor the G Claron can do that, so it stays!

The 12" Dagor is a very old lens in a compound shutter that has seen better days. It gives a certain "Look" to photos which I find pleasing. It is also small enough to fit on the 5x7 lens board so it can double down in both formats. For these reasons it's not getting voted off the island even though it isn't used as much as the others.

The 14" Commercial Ektar has served me very well on numerous trips and lends it's self to numerous portrait and landscape applications. For a "normal" focal length, if I could only have one lens, this would be it.

The 14" APO Artar was my first 8x10 lens, although now it mostly serves on the 5x7 and as a "spare" 14"er on the 8x10 side of the house, With so many lenses in old shutters it's good to have a spare in case a shutter decides to go out to lunch just before (or in the middle of) a shoot. At least that's what I keep telling myself!

The 15" B&L Petzval Magic Lantern is admittedly a toy. It's a barrel lens and didn't cost me anything. It's a toy and swirlies are fun and I am in this for fun so it stays in the fold.

The 19" Red Dot Artar is my long lens. It is the one that usually accompanies the 240 G Claron on hiking trips (I'll take the head off the tripod and leave that in the car to save weight) This makes a perfect pair, in my estimation, of focal lengths for most landscape work I enjoy shooting. For the "grand view" this has been a terrific lens for me. It is about as long of a focal length my bellows can handle.
Another 19", an elderly Dagor dedicated to the 12x20 and never mounted on an 8x10 lens board, can serve if necessary as a back up for the RD if I drill a lens board for it. That is how useful, if not necessary I feel a 19"-er is to my glass menagerie.

Do I need all nine lenses? That is the question.
Could I part with at least a few of them? Sure. If the choice was hurting my creativity I would have to but most of these lenses "fit" into a particular photographic niche--it's not like I have to stand there and scratch my head wondering which lens to mount on my camera.
Tabletop=Wollensak
Hiking=G Claron
Architecture=WF Ektar
Grand View=RD Artar
Bokeh=Magic Lantern
Everything else=Commercial Ektar (with both of the Goerz boys in reserve)
And that, I figure, is how I became a lens collector.

BrianShaw
4-Jan-2015, 11:31
At what point do you feel that you transitioned from buying lenses that you will use to a collector? You seem to have a rationale basis for each lens. Based on what I've read on the internet you have a long, long way to go to becoming "a collector".

Steven Tribe
4-Jan-2015, 11:46
you have a long, long way to go to becoming "a collector".

You have only put one foot on the edge of the bottomless pit!

William Whitaker
4-Jan-2015, 11:52
You have only put one foot on the edge of the bottomless pit!

Yeah, but the other one is on a skateboard. Don't ask me how I know.

John, stay away from Ebay and the classifieds forum. At least you're taking charge of it now. Denial only makes it worse.

Andrew
4-Jan-2015, 12:26
you will regret it for the rest of your life if you sell ANYTHING...
surely, the real [subconscious] purpose of the question is for other people to suggest what to get next!
you don't have an antique French landscape meniscus, how about one of those?
how about a Goerz Celor? or a Kodak Portrait lens?

Jody_S
4-Jan-2015, 12:40
We obviously have very different definitions of what makes a 'lens collector'.... :p I bought more than that over the Christmas break. And I don't consider myself a lens collector, but I might be getting there. I just have a lot of lenses I've bought because I wanted to try them.

Keep 'em all. They're all fine lenses, and it would cost more to replace any of them than what you paid for them. If I were you, I might consider replacing the Wolly WA with a more modern one, but they're expensive and the Wolly is probably a fine enough lens for most purposes. I certainly like my 5x7 f12.5 one.

Craig Roberts
4-Jan-2015, 13:09
After reading your post, I became concerned that instead of being a collector, I was a hoarder. I have more than 9 lenses that I haven't used yet. Maybe my goal for 2015 is to try them or thin the heard. However, my investment is minimal relative to years ago. Enjoy them.

mdarnton
4-Jan-2015, 13:21
John, your post just caused me to tally up what I have. I guess Craig and I are hoarders. Like Craig, I bought most of them simply because they were too cheap to pass up and I was interested to see what they'd do, so I don't feel very guilty. One of the things I discovered along the way is that I don't need multicoating, or even coating at all, to be happy. The other is that I'd rather have a second-rate Tessar knock-off than an Whiz-Bang Sironar or similar.

John Kasaian
4-Jan-2015, 13:24
Well, this represents about 18 years of accumulating 8x10 lenses. There was no real rhyme or reason as to how it all came together, not like I decided I needed to have a "set" spacing of focal lengths. My 1st, the 14" APO Artar was simply the cheapest shuttered lens I could find after I bought the 'dorff. The second, the 14" Commercial Ektar was on the advice of an old time local pro photographer who helped mentor me---same focal length. The APO Artar was the spare lens until an interest in 5x7 developed and it got sent to live with the Agfa Ansco. After a few years shooting with just the Commercial Ektar I decided I could use something a little wider so the G Claron and WF Ektar joined the cast.
Butch Welch, a notable West Coast photographer, offered me his 159 Wollensak and since I like 24mm wide angles in 35mm I thought the Wolly would be at least as useful. It turned out that I very seldom needed anything so wide but the short focal length was perfect for 1:1. The Magic Lantern lens came I a box of other stuff---winnings from a eBay auction. I remember pulling it off the shattered remains of a McIntosh Magic Lantern. Year later out of curiosity I asked here if it could be a Petzval and sure enough---it was!
The 19" RD Artar came along after I was frustrated by a 19" APO Artar in a barrel. The coated RD showed up at the right time at the right price so the upgrade was, well destiny.

Jac@stafford.net
4-Jan-2015, 13:27
John, I think you might really be looking for a cohort, co-conspirator or enabler.

I am your enabler. Hold on to them until you find The One, and sell others to cover it.

Tin Can
4-Jan-2015, 13:29
John your list is very reasonable.

As a few have said, you could try harder.

I don't accept hoarder for most of us. Hoarders collect junk and garbage.

We are preservers of history and simply renting this fine equipment until the next renter obtains it.

We all love to find a 'dead man's treasure' don't we?

Jody_S
4-Jan-2015, 13:50
After reading your post, I became concerned that instead of being a collector, I was a hoarder. I have more than 9 lenses that I haven't used yet. Maybe my goal for 2015 is to try them or thin the heard. However, my investment is minimal relative to years ago. Enjoy them.

I guess 'hoarder' is the correct word for myself as well. I also have >10 lenses I haven't tried yet, besides the tried and true lenses that live in my camera bags. And the discarded ones that I couldn't bear to sell, because they're fine lenses and I might decide to use them again someday. Or I might need a shutter for parts. Or I might get another camera that needs a lens. Or something. It's hard to sell a lens.

jp
4-Jan-2015, 14:39
I don't think nine lenses that get used qualifies as collector.

I sell a lens that comes with a camera and I know I won't be using that lens. Otherwise, I mostly buy lenses and have used most of them more than casually. The big problem is getting them all mounted. The effort to make or buy lensboards for a lens can cause use of a new lens to be a lower priority and it goes unused for a time till I get around to that. I usually buy a lens when the price is right rather than when I need it. I'd rather go shooting than tinker in the shop with a lensboard. Once past this hurdle, having a ready to use lens begging to be experimented with is certainly motivation to get out and shoot.

angusparker
4-Jan-2015, 14:49
I have it much worse with dedicated sets of lenses for the four different formats I shoot - which makes it easy to pick up a bag and go. At some point I'll thin the herd - probably when I give up a specific format. I don't think I'm a collector yet, mostly because 90% of what I have is modern glass in a shutter and it gets used frequently. I think collectors are attracted to old brass lenses and 100 year old cameras. Am I in denial?

Paul Ewins
4-Jan-2015, 15:30
John, nine lenses in eighteen years is absolutely nothing to worry about. Nine lenses in eighteen days and you might have a problem.

goamules
4-Jan-2015, 17:27
I look at using a lot of lenses like using a lot of ingredients when you cook. It's mo' better that way.

Ari
4-Jan-2015, 17:57
I'm the odd man out here; I had roughly the same lenses as does John, but I sold them all.
When I sold them, I didn't know what I'd be buying yet, I just felt that having so many lenses was getting in the way of making pictures.
So I just wanted them gone, and it felt damn good to sell them and un-clutter everything.

Whether it's called hoarding, collecting, or pack-ratting, I don't like accumulating anything in excess.
Remember that movie, Up In the Air? That could have been me.

Alan Gales
4-Jan-2015, 18:13
I'm the odd man out here; I had roughly the same lenses as does John, but I sold them all.
When I sold them, I didn't know what I'd be buying yet, I just felt that having so many lenses was getting in the way of making pictures.
So I just wanted them gone, and it felt damn good to sell them and un-clutter everything.

Whether it's called hoarding, collecting, or pack-ratting, I don't like accumulating anything in excess.
Remember that movie, Up In the Air? That could have been me.

So Ari, is your new Cooke your only lens now?

Ari
4-Jan-2015, 18:21
Alan, I have the Cooke and two wider lenses for 8x10.
Less is more!

Michael E
4-Jan-2015, 18:33
John, I hear you! When I decided to step up and buy a 8x10" camera, I thought about the lenses I would have to buy, too. I looked at what I already owned and found 121, 140, 182, 240, 300, 360, and 450mm already waiting... And I've added quite a few since then. Most are in barrel and were really cheap, some are in use for other formats. I don't use them all, but I've found unexpected needs for many. Like others said, if you are using your lenses and not just hoard them, don't worry.

Michael

Alan Gales
4-Jan-2015, 18:42
Alan, I have the Cooke and two wider lenses for 8x10.
Less is more!

Yeah, I thought you might have something wider.

Right now I own a 19" Artar, 14" Commercial Ektar and Fujinon 250mm f/6.7 for 8x10.

I also have a Schneider 121mm which I like for 4x5 but it can be a super wide with no movements for 8x10. I have yet to make a decision on the 305mm Kodak Portrait lens I recently bought cheap. I think I'll be playing around with it for a while.

goamules
4-Jan-2015, 19:08
If you shoot a lot of formats, multiply 9 lenses by each at least. I shoot C-mount, Olympus Half-Frame, Leica Thread Mount, Fuji X, 3x4, 4x5, quarterplate, wholeplate, 5x7, 8x10 and have a few plans for larger! No hording going on here!

Alan Gales
4-Jan-2015, 19:09
For myself, I tend to agree with Ari that less is more.

If you use all your lenses then own as many as you feel you need. We are all different.

Alan Gales
4-Jan-2015, 19:17
If you shoot a lot of formats, multiply 9 lenses by each at least. I shoot C-mount, Olympus Half-Frame, Leica Thread Mount, Fuji X, 3x4, 4x5, quarterplate, wholeplate, 5x7, 8x10 and have a few plans for larger! No hording going on here!

Ok Garrett, are you saying that I need 9 8x10 lenses, 9 4x5 lenses and 9 DX digital lenses?

My 21'st wedding anniversary is tomorrow. Are you trying to get me divorced? ;)

John Kasaian
4-Jan-2015, 19:17
For myself, I tend to agree with Ari that less is more.

If you use all your lenses then own as many as you feel you need. We are all different.
This is along the lines of what I was thinking---having so many lenses close in a focal length (240/250, 12"&14") would ordinarily complicate selection, but in retrospect mine are different enough so for me, selecting which lens is pretty cut and dry. In the field I'll take maybe two lenses at most, a wide and the long---simple.

Tin Can
4-Jan-2015, 19:18
I have a spreadsheet.

And goals...

Alan Gales
4-Jan-2015, 20:09
This is along the lines of what I was thinking---having so many lenses close in a focal length (240/250, 12"&14") would ordinarily complicate selection, but in retrospect mine are different enough so for me, selecting which lens is pretty cut and dry. In the field I'll take maybe two lenses at most, a wide and the long---simple.

I've got the 14" Commercial Ektar which I agree with you that if I could only keep one lens then that would be it. Normally, I would not buy a 12" lens since I have a 14" but I recently lucked into a 305mm Kodak Portrait lens and being a soft focus lens it's a lot different than a Commercial Ektar.

In the field, if not shooting portraits, I find myself mostly taking the 19" Artar and 250mm Fujinon. I feel less is more because it simplifies lens choices for me.

When I first bought my 8x10 I was trying to figure out which lenses to buy. You were one of people who I valued their opinions and helped me make my choices. We all second guess ourselves. You know what you are doing, John. :)

John Kasaian
4-Jan-2015, 20:26
Ok Garrett, are you saying that I need 9 8x10 lenses, 9 4x5 lenses and 9 DX digital lenses?

My 21'st wedding anniversary is tomorrow. Are you trying to get me divorced? ;)
Happy Anniversary to you and your bride, Alan!

Alan Gales
4-Jan-2015, 20:52
Happy Anniversary to you and your bride, Alan!

Thank you, John! I feel very blessed to have Cindy.

Andrew
4-Jan-2015, 23:59
Normally, I would not buy a 12" lens since I have a 14" but I recently lucked into a 305mm Kodak Portrait lens

hey, wasn't the Kodak Portrait lens on my list of suggested extra lenses on the first page of this thread... !

Alan Gales
5-Jan-2015, 00:36
hey, wasn't the Kodak Portrait lens on my list of suggested extra lenses on the first page of this thread... !

Indeed it was!

I'm not real big into soft focus but I do like the look of a little "glow" in portraits. Like John says, it's nice to have lenses with different looks. Now if only I could afford a Cooke like Ari or maybe a 14" Dagor. ;)

jesse
5-Jan-2015, 02:32
Nine lenses are really not too much, recently I have more than >50 lenses for my 4x5 and 8x10, including very old Petzval, Cooke Portrait, Dagor, Protar, Heliar, Commercial Ektar, Collinear, and very few modern lens.

plaubel
5-Jan-2015, 05:24
Using only one format, I would have the need of some lenses, from short to long. Maybe three lenses feels good.
But there is a need in "old style" or SF, and sharp "new style", too, so 5 to 6 lenses will be better.

Using 4x5", 5x7" and since some days 12x16", I have to collect lenses, willing or not - but I'm no collector.
I am a user and I need this stuff.

But I reduced my cameras - each size one model, at maximum.
Now I "only" own two LF cameras for inside, two for outside, some more than 10 lenses - it's so hard not to become a collector:-)
Options need collection.

Cheers,
Ritchie

goamules
5-Jan-2015, 08:41
I try to not keep duplicates, except for what I really collect (early American glass). So when you see me selling, say, a 14" F5 Petzval, you'll know I have one like it I'm keeping. Other times I try a lens and decide it's not what I want, like a very rare F3.1 Voigtlander I sold last year (I have another that is almost as fast). Or a Dallmeyer 3A I also sold (I like my large CC Harrisons better). Why more than 2-3 lenses then?

1. I love history. It's not about just photography. It's about the men and companies and industries that supported photography. So I enjoy holding and owning a variety of lenses that are "similar", to see how they changed over the decades. For example, I have a couple Darlot Lever Stop Wide Angles. And some Dallmeyer landscape meniscus, another couple of his Wide Angle Rectilinear, then some later Morrison, then Euryscop WA, then an RD Gray Extreme Wide Angle. Do I "need" 10 Wide Angles that are about the same focal length? Not for photography, but I do note they have different looks, speeds, angle of views. And they show how WA changed over 100 years.

2. We know photographers need several focal lengths. So why more than the 3 lengths, wide, normal, tele? Because we may need those for EACH TYPE of lens. Soft focus, sharp contrasty, sharp not coated, edge aberration lenses, etc. So I have a 18", 11", 9", and 7.5" Verito. I have similar spreads for Tessars (for their look), Petzvals (for their look), etc.

DrTang
5-Jan-2015, 09:50
Lets see..

just 5x7 lenses:

210 Aviar
210 f3.5 Xenar
265 egleet
260 Olor
240 Heliar
300 Heliar
400 rodenstock semi-anastigmat

extra 12" - Ilex calumet

mystery 12" about (unmarked,,but looks B&L ish)

a 14" F5 Petzval

and a couple big lenses that won't fit on my camera

I would sell a couple..cept it cost me so much to get adapters to backmount shutters for them

also..I usually leave the glass for the xenar at home as I use it's shutter for a couple other lenses

I'm pretty much where I need to be with 5x7 glass - which is kind of a drag as I like buying strange new lenses

Kav
2-Mar-2015, 19:40
I feel like my kit is a mouse among giants here. I have:

Rodenstock 90mm f6.8
Two Kodak Ektar 127mm (one coated, one not)
Nikon 210mm f5.6
Kodak Ektar 203mm f7.7
Schneider Symmar-Y 360 f6.8

All on 4x5. All I want to add is a 47mm, 65mm and Nikon's LF 1200mm convertible lens set.

Renato Tonelli
7-Mar-2015, 07:57
John - I don't think you really need the 14inch Ektar; perhaps I can persuade you to part with it...

jnantz
7-Mar-2015, 15:07
hi john

over on apug over the years there have been threads
where people tally up their lenses and cameras
some folks have like 500 nikon cameras/lenses &c
i think you are ok, even if you think you are going
to the collector mode. they seem to all have uses,
its not like you have 100 different magic lantern optics
that yield images that are nearly indistinguishable from one another ..

have fun !
john