PDA

View Full Version : Deardroff 8x10 - What to look for and value?

Pali K
3-Jan-2015, 15:26
I have an opportunity to buy a Deardroff 8x10 that seems to be the version with front swing. I have read up on these cameras and looked for sold sales on ebay to get a general idea but I was not able to find a kit that matches what I am looking at. Basically it has the following all in fair usable condition as far as I can tell from the pictures.

1. 8x10 Camera that seller says is 60 years old and bellows were replaced 10 years ago. Does have the full movements in the front and seller claims everything is in working order.

2. 8x10 Back and 4x5 Back

3. 3 Lens boards in odd sizes and one will holes drilled around the mounting hole. One adapter of some sort that reduces the mounting square size in front.

4. 2 8x10 Holders

No lenses or other accessories. I really don't have a need for the 4x5 reducing back because I love my 4x5 camera.

Would you consider this a good deal if I were to be able to negotiate it around 2K? I would have to make a 2 hour drive for it and I want to make sure I am in the right ballpark before I make the effort.

Thanks,

Pali

Jac@stafford.net
3-Jan-2015, 16:19
Condition is everything. We cannot see or handle it. You are on your own.

Keep in mind that many people consider the Deardorff a legend without caring about practical utility thus it is likely overpriced.

Compared to other 8x10s it is an overweight, clumsy camera. There are no real zero detents, ergonomics and lockdowns suck. The most satisfying experience is folding it up after a field session because it means you won't likely use it again that day.

Good luck and watch the sales group for my best V8 with lens.

Pali K
3-Jan-2015, 17:39
Thanks Jac for the information. I am waiting the seller to email me more pictures because so far all I have is cell phone pics that are not really good at telling the details. Any chance you can give me an idea on what you would be looking for your V8 with lens - I would much rather get the camera from someone here. My research tells me that it is hard to come by a complete setup like this for under 2k for a folding wood camera and that is why I am still interested in this.

Dan Dozer
3-Jan-2015, 20:05
For that price, you can probably easily get a more modern 8 x 10 that has smoother movements and may be lighter weight. I have been using mine now for about 5 years and really like it. However, I really only shoot indoors, and if you are interested in landscape photography, another more modern one might be better. Note that I paid just under $1000 for mine (camera only and no film holders or extra back).

About the only thing I have had a problem with is that for big heavy lenses, the front standard isn't all that sturdy and can be an issue if you plan on using heavy lenses upwards of 25".

Doesn't sound like the 4 x 5 back is anything you would use/need. However, one thing to consider with it is that if you're into portrait type of work with the look of older lenses, the lens choices you have with an 8 x 10 camera are much more than with a 4 x 5. The 4 x 5 back might be of value to you if that is the case.

Couple of things to look at (from what I've heard from others) - make sure there are no cracks in any of the wood, and that the adjustments are tight. If any of those exist, they can be serviced/fixed, but it does cost money.

Michael W
3-Jan-2015, 20:08
Have you done a search in the For Sale section of this forum? A few have sold here over the past year or so - you can see what was on offer and the prices. I think around $2K for a camera with no problems and a lens is about the going rate. Note the one you mention doesn't come with a lens, so you could offer less.

Luis-F-S
3-Jan-2015, 20:27
Look up Ken Hough's website for the Deardorff Historical Website at:

http://deardorffcameras.0catch.com/

Regardless of what other posters may say, there is NOTHING like a Deardorff, and I have 4 of them, and believe me, I can well afford any large format camera I'd like to get and I've had many!

L

karl french
3-Jan-2015, 21:18
Opinions vary.

I happen to think Deardorffs are the best field cameras made. It's an elegant and friendly design. The most important thing to look for is a solid bed without splitting joints. That will cause all sorts of problems in the long run. For 2K I'd want a full return option based on the condition of the bellows. 10 years is nothing with some bellow, too long with others. You're going to spend 300-500 on new bellows if needed.

Pali K
3-Jan-2015, 21:27
All, thank you for your support with this - I really appreciate it. I am including a link to the photos that I just received from the seller that I hope will give a better idea of what the fair value of the camera is. I am actually leaning towards waiting a little longer to see if something shows up as a complete kit in the "for sale" section here that may be better for me.

Link to photos of the camera being discussed (http://imgur.com/a/ji0XV)

Based on the pictures, the bellows look questionable to me. Would you agree with this? How much would a bellows replacement run me for this?

For that price, you can probably easily get a more modern 8 x 10 that has smoother movements and may be lighter weight. I have been using mine now for about 5 years and really like it. However, I really only shoot indoors, and if you are interested in landscape photography, another more modern one might be better. Note that I paid just under $1000 for mine (camera only and no film holders or extra back).

About the only thing I have had a problem with is that for big heavy lenses, the front standard isn't all that sturdy and can be an issue if you plan on using heavy lenses upwards of 25".

Doesn't sound like the 4 x 5 back is anything you would use/need. However, one thing to consider with it is that if you're into portrait type of work with the look of older lenses, the lens choices you have with an 8 x 10 camera are much more than with a 4 x 5. The 4 x 5 back might be of value to you if that is the case.

Couple of things to look at (from what I've heard from others) - make sure there are no cracks in any of the wood, and that the adjustments are tight. If any of those exist, they can be serviced/fixed, but it does cost money.

Dan, Thank you for this information. It's good to know your thoughts on the ideal use for this camera. Unless things change drastically, I don't see myself shooting portraits on the 8x10 other than for maybe the initial testing with the format. It seems like the more I research and hear from you guys, this may not be the ideal camera for landscape at this price point. I do appreciate the information and will consider them before making a decision on what offer, if any actually at this point, I want to make. If this was a base camera only deal at 1K, I would probably pull the trigger because I don't think I would have a hard time selling it if it didn't work out for some reason.

Have you done a search in the For Sale section of this forum? A few have sold here over the past year or so - you can see what was on offer and the prices. I think around $2K for a camera with no problems and a lens is about the going rate. Note the one you mention doesn't come with a lens, so you could offer less.

Michael, I did look at Ebay for closed sales and I was looking for something that was in decent condition, had front swing movement, and came with 2 backs in fair condition. Most of what I saw was auctions that ended around 1900 with no holders, no lenses, and approx 100 in shipping. If you can see something else, do you mind pointing me to them? I could have just done my search incorrectly.

Look up Ken Hough's website for the Deardorff Historical Website at:

http://deardorffcameras.0catch.com/

Regardless of what other posters may say, there is NOTHING like a Deardorff, and I have 4 of them, and believe me, I can well afford any large format camera I'd like to get and I've had many!

L

Luis, this is consistent with what I had heard until today. I had been particularly looking for the Deardroff because of the good things I had heard about them. I have never touched any large format camera other than my Sinar Norma 4x5 so my focus has entirely been based on what I have been able to gather in my limited exposure to large format information on the net.

Thanks again for all of your help.

Pali K
3-Jan-2015, 21:28
Opinions vary.

I happen to think Deardorffs are the best field cameras made. It's an elegant and friendly design. The most important thing to look for is a solid bed without splitting joints. That will cause all sorts of problems in the long run. For 2K I'd want a full return option based on the condition of the bellows. 10 years is nothing with some bellow, too long with others. You're going to spend 300-500 on new bellows if needed.

Karl, good timing with your information because I just posted a link to the photos that show very questionable bellows. You also answered my question on how much the bellows replacement will run me.

karl french
3-Jan-2015, 21:38
Yeah, those bellows don't inspire 100% confidence. But that wear may just be a result of the fact that that user is not racking the front standard out a bit before folding up the camera. I'd want to fire a flash inside the bellows a few times to check for pinholes in the corners. So, figure the 2 holders are worth $100. The 4x5 back you can probably sell for $100. The other boards are not original, but may work fine. The reducer board looks like a nice one. It's a very handy accessory to have. Worth $75-$100 as well.

The wood looks pretty nice. And it's a fairly late camera based on the hardware. (60's-70's). I'd want to see pictures of the bottom of the camera as well. One of the ground glass springs is a bit bent. Probably nothing to worry about. Keep in mind many of these cameras have seen a lot of use. I lucked out and found a very low mileage late (1980) 8x10 Deardorff locally on Craigslist.

It will be a big change from the precision of you Sinar. You have to sort of get comfortable with the "feel" of working with a Deardorff. Every camera is a compromise, but the Deardorff balances them the best in my mind.

Michael W
3-Jan-2015, 21:57
Michael, I did look at Ebay for closed sales and I was looking for something that was in decent condition, had front swing movement, and came with 2 backs in fair condition. Most of what I saw was auctions that ended around 1900 with no holders, no lenses, and approx 100 in shipping. If you can see something else, do you mind pointing me to them? I could have just done my search incorrectly.
I was suggesting to search this forum. The search function doesn't appear to let us specify the For Sale section only, but you can just search Deardorff then look at the ones that were for sale.
Here was a great deal from about a year back $1K for a camera only (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?108369-WTS-Deardorff-810-camera-Deardorff-810-to-57-Reducing-back&highlight=deardorff)
Another one (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?115588-FS-8-x-10-Deardorff&highlight=deardorff)

I'm sure there have been more, that was a quick look.

John Kasaian
3-Jan-2015, 22:09
Well, I like my Deardorff. I find it very intuitive to use. I think what is important is that you really like your camera, that way you'll get out and use it more often, but end up with a camera you don't like and you'll make every excuse not to take it out because, quite frankly, any 8x10 takes a lot more effort than a 4x5.
I like Deardorffs:D
As far as price goes since I can't see the camera I'll wager that its in the ball park.
My 'dorff is about 60 years old, maybe a little newer as it has plated hardware. Ken Hough's Deardorff site which Luis-F-S linked to has a lot of info you should study.
For a $2,000 Deardorff I'd want:
1) excellent bellows
2) movements that lock down good and tight
3) nice wood with few marks and no holes
4) the handle should be in good condition with the fittings firmly riveted and
5) original matching focus and locking knobs.
I think a 60 year old 'dorff would have the metal base plate and front swings as original(see Ken Hough's site for when they were made standard equipment.) If not, it's probably older---not really an issue if it is in immaculate condition but I'd consider adding a base plate as it offers good protection against cracking the seams and also scarring from the tripod mount. Originals aren't cheap so I'd want that deducted off the price. A 60 year old 'dorff may or may not have the splitters which are removable sliding panels allowing 4x10 or 8x5 formats on a sheet of 8x10 film. If the back was designed for splitters (a groove with a flat spring thing to hold the sliders in place) I'd expect them for that price, but if there is no groove, that's just the nature of the beast, eh?

If you don't want the 8x10 to 4x5 back you can easily sell it for $150+. With the rumor of type 55 P/N coming back on the market the possibility of instant feedback on exposure before committing an 8x10 sheet (particularly if you're $hooting color film$) is perhaps an asset.
The lens boards, if original, are valuable. Whether or not they'll fit any of the lenses you'll be using is as yet unkown. I've seen original 6"x6" boards in great condition go anywhere from $25 to $45. Most of my lens boards were nasty looking eBay junkers won for a couple of bucks apiece (hint---a little paint remover and a few coats of lacquer with fine steel wool applied between coats will make them gleam like new.) The board with a square hole is probably an adapter to allow using the lens and boards from a 4x5(maybe the same lens boards as your 4x5) camera.
FWIW, useable 8x10 film holders go for about $50 a pop these days. If they aren't leakers they would be welcome accessories. If they do leak, put them in a cannibal box for parts (those dark slides and the flaps on the ends can breathe life into other Zombie film holders you may run into.)
But your question was, is $2,000 in the ball park? For an excellent example with all those extras, I think so.
Happy 'dorff hunting!

John Kasaian
3-Jan-2015, 22:25
OK I just saw the photos. It's probably from the 50s or 60s---It looks like mine! I agree with Carl French's observations. Check the bellows carefully. Pin holes should lower the price considerably---get a quote on the cost of replacement bellows and take it with to grease the negotiations if necessary.

StoneNYC
3-Jan-2015, 23:03
Something that no one has mentioned yet on this thread and it's something I just want to point out to the OP.

If you ever need to find spare parts or want to have it repaired, be aware that the person who purchased the brand has had a lot of very terrible feedback and it sounds like they are ripping a lot of people off, taking years to return a camera if ever and never returning peoples money if the purchase isn't sent to them.

This has nothing to do with your camera in particular, however if you're looking to have it repaired if the Bellows or bad etc., Just be aware that you're going to have a hard time finding newer parts and that you will have to be careful not to purchase accidentally from the guy who now owns the Deardorff brand. They also sell on eBay though with all the issues I'm surprised they haven't been banned.

Anyway it's just something to consider and be aware of and is a stain on the brand which is unfortunate considering it's grand reputation.

I personally went with a Chamonix 8x10 because it was super light, modern, and still in production, BUT just like me I'm sure you have already made your decision and don't want people chiming in with their own opinions and are just looking to understand the value so I'll stop there.

Just wanted you to know about the buyer beware issue that might arise.

Good luck!

Tracy Storer
3-Jan-2015, 23:59
Camera in question looks like early to mid '50's at the earliest, based on Front swing, name pate style, knobs, etc. It looks a lot like like one I had from 1956, and the bellows from one I got from 1950. I buy replacement bellows only from Custom Bellows in England, and they run around $300 US not counting shipping. The key point is to watch for the miter joint in the bed opening, it affects operation of focus, particularly of the rear focus, which gets' tighter as the joints open more.
I think $1500-$2000 is good for a good user. I sold a really pretty, clean slightly-restored/upgraded camera with new bellows for $1800 not long ago. I though it should have gone for more, but the market is what it is.
Realistically, 4x5 reducing backs bring $100 more or less, if you expect more, you'll have to have a really, really pretty one, and wait for the right buyer. (I've sold probably 5 or 6 4x5 backs on Ebay in the last calendar year, so I know)

PS, Those do NOT look like bellows replaced 10 years ago to ME, they look.........maybe a lot older. YMMV.

koh303
4-Jan-2015, 09:09
Something that no one has mentioned yet on this thread and it's something I just want to point out to the OP.

If you ever need to find spare parts or want to have it repaired, be aware that the person who purchased the brand has had a lot of very terrible feedback and it sounds like they are ripping a lot of people off, taking years to return a camera if ever and never returning peoples money if the purchase isn't sent to them.

This has nothing to do with your camera in particular, however if you're looking to have it repaired if the Bellows or bad etc., Just be aware that you're going to have a hard time finding newer parts and that you will have to be careful not to purchase accidentally from the guy who now owns the Deardorff brand. They also sell on eBay though with all the issues I'm surprised they haven't been banned.

Anyway it's just something to consider and be aware of and is a stain on the brand which is unfortunate considering it's grand reputation.

I personally went with a Chamonix 8x10 because it was super light, modern, and still in production, BUT just like me I'm sure you have already made your decision and don't want people chiming in with their own opinions and are just looking to understand the value so I'll stop there.

Just wanted you to know about the buyer beware issue that might arise.

Good luck!

Since stone has no actual experience in the matter, i would disregard the above comment.

The source of Deardorff parts, which is, Mr. Cochran, is in fact sometimes a bit slow to answer emails, or ship out goods for any number of reasons (probably the same ones the led to the demise of the original deardorff in the first place) however, he does ship, and the parts and service are for the most part A OK.
I cant really think of "reagular" service parts for deardorffs that you would actually buy from them, unless you are restoring a camera.
Most deardorffs have all original hardware, and if it isent broken there is nothing to replace, and i doubt a new user of such a vintage camera would break anything, at least i have not yet seen that happen.

As a matter of fact, having spoken to this person on the phone on more then one occasion, he is helpful, and full of free advice, which is worth well more the a nickel, weather you actually bought something from them or not. Try getting that kind of advice anywhere else without buying anything and see how far you get.

That is also not to mention that there are at least 4 different sources for parts for deardorffs if you do not like one of them, move along to the next one.

Thats that about this.

StoneNYC
4-Jan-2015, 09:17
Since stone has no actual experience in the matter, i would disregard the above comment.

The source of Deardorff parts, which is, Mr. Cochran, is in fact sometimes a bit slow to answer emails, or ship out goods for any number of reasons (probably the same ones the led to the demise of the original deardorff in the first place) however, he does ship, and the parts and service are for the most part A OK.
I cant really think of "reagular" service parts for deardorffs that you would actually buy from them, unless you are restoring a camera.
Most deardorffs have all original hardware, and if it isent broken there is nothing to replace, and i doubt a new user of such a vintage camera would break anything, at least i have not yet seen that happen.

As a matter of fact, having spoken to this person on the phone on more then one occasion, he is helpful, and full of free advice, which is worth well more the a nickel, weather you actually bought something from them or not. Try getting that kind of advice anywhere else without buying anything and see how far you get.

That is also not to mention that there are at least 4 different sources for parts for deardorffs if you do not like one of them, move along to the next one.

Thats that about this.

OP, just look up the threads on him, and decide for yourself, you're basically an idiot if you think this guy isn't screwing people over, there's multiple law suits against him now. Promising 3-6 month return and 3 years later still no camera isn't "slow" it's theft.

No I haven't had an interaction personally because I'm not foolish enough to do so,, anyone who deals with that guy at this point is frankly an idiot and the fact you've countered my statement doesn't make any sense considering you're also a shop that sells specialized gear.

I may not like you as a person and we may not get along, but you also deliver what you promised and your shop is quality and your equipment is sent out immediately. You're a good seller, don't tarnish yourself and your businesses good reputation by defending a thief like Cochran.

Good luck OP

StoneNYC
4-Jan-2015, 09:19
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=108716

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=109431

Decide for yourself...

John Kasaian
4-Jan-2015, 09:20
Ken Hough has parts as well.

koh303
4-Jan-2015, 09:20
OP, just look up the threads on him, and decide for yourself, you're basically an idiot if you think this guy isn't screwing people over, there's multiple law suits against him now. Promising 3-6 month return and 3 years later still no camera isn't "slow" it's theft.

No I haven't had an interaction personally because I'm not foolish enough to do so,, anyone who deals with that guy at this point is frankly an idiot and the fact you've countered my statement doesn't make any sense considering you're also a shop that sells specialized gear.

I may not like you as a person and we may not get along, but you also deliver what you promised and your shop is quality and your equipment is sent out immediately. You're a good seller, don't tarnish yourself and your businesses good reputation by defending a thief like Cochran.

Good luck OP

This is second hand advice, take it as you will, and back on topic - there is no shortage of deardorff parts with or without having to buy from the above mentioned.

Pali K
4-Jan-2015, 09:21
Chiming in to thank everyone for the additional information and to give everyone an update on the situation.

Based on the information in this exchange, including past sales on this forum, I made the seller a $1000 offer for camera + reducing adapter and $100 for the two holders. Key being that i will need to spend 300 - 500 on bellows and any other suprises that come my way. I told him that I did not need the 4x5 back and the extra lens mounts because they are not useful to me. This is my first offer and I am willing to negotiate a bit but I have no idea if this will immediately end any opportunity for me to negotiate further.

I am still very interested in the Deardorff but I will not be sad if this doesn't happened because it seems that 2K is a good budget for a decent usable camera. I received several PMs for other potential cameras and some of them are very tempting as well. I at least now know what to look for and have pretty much made my mind to pull the trigger in a 8x10 as soon as I find the one that makes the most sense.

Thank you again. Hopefully I'll have some update soon.

koh303
4-Jan-2015, 09:22
Ken Hough has parts as well.

Indeed he does, though his service practices are not different then Cochran's, still both nice people with less of a developed business sense then most would hope for when dealing with them. And, there are other sources still...

karl french
4-Jan-2015, 09:28
Really, the poor business practices of Barry Cochran don't have very much to do with this camera. There are other sources for Deardorff parts and service.

With that said, there is definitely an appeal to using a camera that is in current production, in regards to parts and service availability.

If the camera is in decent shape to begin with it's unlikely to need parts or service for a long time.

Jac@stafford.net
4-Jan-2015, 09:37
[...] i will need to spend 300 - 500 on bellows and any other suprises that come my way.

Take heart - you probably need not get a new bellows right away. Bellows, in particular the robust Deardorff's , can be DIY patched to be serviceable for years. There are plenty of How To posts here on that, and I'll mention my favorite: the patch liquid once used to restore small sections of those old 'soft' hardtop cars. It is applied over a pinhole from inside the bellows. It dries in a day and remains flexible for a very long time.

I hope you get the camera!

fishbulb
4-Jan-2015, 10:05
Pali, I went through a similar search for a Deardorff, and decided it just wasn't worth the hassle. Not that you *can't* buy one, service it, and use it, but it's more work than many other brands.

If I was looking for a wooden 8x10 today that is (arguably) in the same spirit as the Deardorff (e.g. mostly wood, big heavy and stable), I'd be looking strongly at a Svedovsky (http://svedovsky.com/).

There are also more modern designs (less wood, but lighter and arguably more technically capable) from Argentum (http://www.argentumcamera.com/eng/pages/other/home.htm) or Ebony (http://www.ebonycamera.com/cam.html) or Ritter (http://www.lg4mat.net/LFcamera.html) or Lotus (http://www.lotusviewcamera.at/cameras/lovica_8x10_e.html) or Canham (http://www.canhamcameras.com/8x10standard.htm) or Gandolfi (http://www.gandolficameras.com/) or Chamonix (http://www.chamonixviewcamera.com/810.html) or Shen Hao (http://www.shen-hao.com/PRODUCTS.aspx?i=175&id=n3) ... and probably others a swell.

As you can see there are no shortage of modern 8x10 cameras available that will outperform an un-restored 60-year-old Deardorff in just about every way ... except in being a Deardorff ;-)

koh303
4-Jan-2015, 10:18
As you can see there are no shortage of modern 8x10 cameras available that will outperform an un-restored 60-year-old Deardorff in just about every way ... except in being a Deardorff ;-)
+1 :)

Pali K
4-Jan-2015, 10:54

Decide for yourself...

StoneNYC, I would much rather know as much as possible and then take the risk vs. learning this after buying the camera. I do appreciate you bringing this to my attention but my appetite to tinker with parts is likely higher than most. With what I feel comfortable with, I don't view this as a deal breaker but I do appreciate you bringing this to my attention. My dad is a retired mechanical engineer who still has a CNC mill at his home so worst come to worst, he'll just need to get in on the camera repair work with me :)

Luis-F-S
4-Jan-2015, 10:55
All, thank you for your support with this - I really appreciate it. I am including a link to the photos that I just received from the seller that I hope will give a better idea of what the fair value of the camera is.

The camera looks a bit rough for $2000. The bellows will probably need to be replaced, a $465 cost if you get a new one through Ken. His bellows are made by the same lady that used to make them for Deardorff, so it's going to be as close to "NOS" as you're going to get. I have a bellows on my V5 that she made in 1992 that still looks brand new. The wood also looks rather rough, don't know if it's been refinished, but I suspect if it has been it's been quite a while ago. You also can't see the condition of the track & shoes from the photo. The track where the rear focus moves forward. Typically, the last 3" or so see most of the wear on the camera and the shoes can even "eat" into the screws that hold the focusing track in place. There also is no photo of the bottom, so you can't tell if the seams are splits, the most common (and most costly) repair on an old camera after the bellows. I'd pass or offer a good bit less. L

Pali K
4-Jan-2015, 10:57
Take heart - you probably need not get a new bellows right away. Bellows, in particular the robust Deardorff's , can be DIY patched to be serviceable for years. There are plenty of How To posts here on that, and I'll mention my favorite: the patch liquid once used to restore small sections of those old 'soft' hardtop cars. It is applied over a pinhole from inside the bellows. It dries in a day and remains flexible for a very long time.

I hope you get the camera!

Jac - now I am second guessing my offer. I based it from the previous sold cameras and their condition vs. this one. I hope I didn't offend the seller because I am definitely willing to shake hands for a few more hundreds but I also don't want an impression that I will be able to offer 2K+ for this as my original thought. I am always the one to feel good about a fair deal for all parties - hence the post here to get your suggestions. Thanks again for the information - I hope I get this too.

Pali, I went through a similar search for a Deardorff, and decided it just wasn't worth the hassle. Not that you *can't* buy one, service it, and use it, but it's more work than many other brands.

If I was looking for a wooden 8x10 today that is (arguably) in the same spirit as the Deardorff (e.g. mostly wood, big heavy and stable), I'd be looking strongly at a Svedovsky (http://svedovsky.com/).

There are also more modern designs (less wood, but lighter and arguably more technically capable) from Argentum (http://www.argentumcamera.com/eng/pages/other/home.htm) or Ebony (http://www.ebonycamera.com/cam.html) or Ritter (http://www.lg4mat.net/LFcamera.html) or Lotus (http://www.lotusviewcamera.at/cameras/lovica_8x10_e.html) or Canham (http://www.canhamcameras.com/8x10standard.htm) or Gandolfi (http://www.gandolficameras.com/) or Chamonix (http://www.chamonixviewcamera.com/810.html) or Shen Hao (http://www.shen-hao.com/PRODUCTS.aspx?i=175&id=n3) ... and probably others a swell.

Thank you for this - I may have to research into these if this deal doesn't work out. I'll keep everyone updated when I hear something.

fishbulb
4-Jan-2015, 11:12
You may also want to contact Igor's Camera - his website (http://www.igorcamera.com/large_format_cameras.htm) says he has an 8x10 Deardorff with front swing and accessories.

Luis-F-S
4-Jan-2015, 11:18
You may also want to contact Igor's Camera - his website (http://www.igorcamera.com/large_format_cameras.htm) says he has an 8x10 Deardorff with front swing and accessories.

I actually bought my last V8 from Igor, a camera that I don't think was ever used. No wear whatsoever in the holder tracks. A little oxidation in the chrome. It was a bit more money, but where do you find a V8 that's been sitting on someone's shelf for 37 years? L

dsphotog
4-Jan-2015, 13:17
I really miss mine, sold it when low on cash, got back my investment, used it for free! The lens board adapt is a real plus, allowing using compact lens boards. This camera doesn't look bad to me. If I were you, I'd buy it.

Jonathan Barlow
4-Jan-2015, 13:49
It looks like a pretty clean V8 to me. Good new bellows can be bought for $190 shipped, if necessary. The bellows may in fact turn out to be light-tight, if not real pretty.

I suggest offering up to $1500 for the whole package, assuming you have a chance to check it out thoroughly before buying. The 8x10 listed on Igor's site, as mentioned, is $2700.

Pali K
4-Jan-2015, 15:08
Update: the seller and I have a verbal agreement but our schedules will keep me from bringing it home until next weekend.

He agreed that bellows will not last too much longer but assured me that they are light tight for now.

Fingers crossed, this will treat me good for just under 1500 total.

karl french
4-Jan-2015, 15:14
That seems like a fair price.

StoneNYC
4-Jan-2015, 15:18
StoneNYC, I would much rather know as much as possible and then take the risk vs. learning this after buying the camera. I do appreciate you bringing this to my attention but my appetite to tinker with parts is likely higher than most. With what I feel comfortable with, I don't view this as a deal breaker but I do appreciate you bringing this to my attention. My dad is a retired mechanical engineer who still has a CNC mill at his home so worst come to worst, he'll just need to get in on the camera repair work with me :)

Welcome, well informed is all I wanted. Tinkering for fun and satisfaction of a job done yourself is also valuable ;)

Enjoy.

Jac@stafford.net
4-Jan-2015, 15:25
Update: the seller and I have a verbal agreement but our schedules will keep me from bringing it home until next weekend.

He agreed that bellows will not last too much longer but assured me that they are light tight for now.

Fingers crossed, this will treat me good for just under 1500 total.

Fingers crossed here. Stay tuned. I'm sure among all here we can offer some tips.

I will start - the leather handle on mine felt insecure. I got a new one, but did not rivet it: instead I used short-shank toothed T-nuts under the top and steel bolts cut to perfect length from the top to secure the ends. It works very well, and even looks good.

You already read my suggestion regarding pinholes, and another approach is to search for Jeep Soft Top Repair or Patch. The Deardorff bellows is thicker than the Jeep's fabric top. Amazing, eh?

Fingers back to being crossed for you.

Fred L
4-Jan-2015, 15:36
If you can get it for close to your $1000 offer, I would think you've done well. As others have said, even though the bellows may look rough, some quick fixes can keep you shooting for years until you really do need to replace the bellows. A flashlight shone through the bellows in a dark room will show any pinholes that need sealing.

goamules
4-Jan-2015, 15:46
I think $1500 is a much better price. If you want to own a Deardorff, you have to pay a lot more than a Kodak 2D, ANSCO, or Gundlach Korona. About 3 times as much. But you'll have XXX% a better camera.

Extend the bellows about as far as you ever would with your lens (don't stress them too far if you aren't going to need them out that far). Use a flashlight in a dark room inside the bellows to see the major pinholes. Paint some liquid fabric over those holes, if any. Then I'd spray some Lemon Pledge on the bellows heavily, let it sit an hour, then wipe off. Do that 3 or 4 times over a day or two. It may not preserve them, but it will make them look better. Then I'd start shooting film with the existing bellows. You may be able to use them for years with no fogging. Just because there are pinholes at maximum extension doesn't mean there will be any light leaks when it's somewhat compressed.

John Kasaian
4-Jan-2015, 16:12
Equinox Photo sells an excellent patch goop for pinholes. I think $1500 for a good working V-8 with front swings and with those extras is a fair price. Do you have a tripod & lens for it yet? One more film holder would also be nice, too.

BBW
4-Jan-2015, 17:19
I am cheap so I would just try wrapping over the bellows with a focusing cloth :D

uphereinmytree
4-Jan-2015, 17:38
when speaking of performance, newer 8x10's are still just a light tight box. it just needs to sit still and keep out light. Deardorffs just feel good which has value and with a few brass shims and some new grease they are very a smooth operator. I pet mine occasionally

John Kasaian
4-Jan-2015, 17:46
I am cheap so I would just try wrapping over the bellows with a focusing cloth :D
This is a good habit to get into

bloodhoundbob
4-Jan-2015, 18:29

Decide for yourself...

OP: I am one of the idiots that Stone is referring to, as you can see from my comments on the other thread. I will be stepping up my legal action, if need be, but in the meantime, enjoy your camera. I had both a V5 and V8 in the past, and loved both of them. As previousy noted, there are other sources for Deardorff parts, fortunately......Bob

Kevin Crisp
4-Jan-2015, 20:48
Last time I checked, the feedback on Ebay for parts purchased from the current (Cochran) Deardorff iteration was excellent. I am not denying delays in delivering cameras and have no personal knowledge. But I have purchased parts through Ebay and the service was prompt.

brucetaylor
4-Jan-2015, 22:24
I have had the same experience, I read horror stories about undelivered cameras, but when I buy bits and pieces from his ebay storefront service is quick and exactly as described. Very odd.

StoneNYC
4-Jan-2015, 22:45
Probably because they can't rip people off on eBay because they wouldn't be able to sell. Also probably why they don't do sell whole cameras on eBay.

bloodhoundbob
4-Jan-2015, 23:25
[QUOTE=Kevin Crisp;1203633]Last time I checked, the feedback on Ebay for parts purchased from the current (Cochran) Deardorff iteration was excellent. I am not denying delays in delivering cameras and have no pe

rsonal knowledge. But I have purchased parts through Ebay and the service was prompt.[/QUOT

You LF folks can buy all the parts you want from him on eBay, but PLEASE advise everyone not to order a camera from him, as you will have neither your camera nor your money to show for it...Bob

Pali K
5-Jan-2015, 20:29
Fingers crossed here. Stay tuned. I'm sure among all here we can offer some tips.

I will start - the leather handle on mine felt insecure. I got a new one, but did not rivet it: instead I used short-shank toothed T-nuts under the top and steel bolts cut to perfect length from the top to secure the ends. It works very well, and even looks good.

You already read my suggestion regarding pinholes, and another approach is to search for Jeep Soft Top Repair or Patch. The Deardorff bellows is thicker than the Jeep's fabric top. Amazing, eh?

Fingers back to being crossed for you.

Thanks again Jac! I'll have to feel the condition of the handle and look into your fix if it's needed. I am sure that I'll be posting more information on the camera and it's condition to get everyone's feedback on what I should fix and what should stay the same. One thing I know for sure is that I want the camera to maintain it's history as best as possible. I want a camera with it's age to look just that - full or stories and character :)

I had done a minor patch repair on my 4x5 when I first bought it using a liquid electrical tape which will be a backup in case I need it. I'll have to look around for the "patch liquid" product too but if the seller's word comes true, the bellows may still be light tight and I can start having fun without any of this patching. Do you know if the patch liquid will maintain the color of the bellows?

If you can get it for close to your $1000 offer, I would think you've done well. As others have said, even though the bellows may look rough, some quick fixes can keep you shooting for years until you really do need to replace the bellows. A flashlight shone through the bellows in a dark room will show any pinholes that need sealing.

I think for the price that I am at, the camera could be considered close to 1000 since I am getting more things for under 1500. I will post my final deal details once it goes through because my verbal agreement with the seller is that "price is OK if things check out as you say..." I do trust him at this point because he seems to be very straight forward about the good and the not so good about this camera. Everything he has said so far has been in alignment with the pictures. Fingers still crossed :)

I think $1500 is a much better price. If you want to own a Deardorff, you have to pay a lot more than a Kodak 2D, ANSCO, or Gundlach Korona. About 3 times as much. But you'll have XXX% a better camera.

Extend the bellows about as far as you ever would with your lens (don't stress them too far if you aren't going to need them out that far). Use a flashlight in a dark room inside the bellows to see the major pinholes. Paint some liquid fabric over those holes, if any. Then I'd spray some Lemon Pledge on the bellows heavily, let it sit an hour, then wipe off. Do that 3 or 4 times over a day or two. It may not preserve them, but it will make them look better. Then I'd start shooting film with the existing bellows. You may be able to use them for years with no fogging. Just because there are pinholes at maximum extension doesn't mean there will be any light leaks when it's somewhat compressed.

This is a great tip goamules! Thank you - I'll get the liquid fabric and lemon pledge soon so I have it ready before the camera gets here.

Equinox Photo sells an excellent patch goop for pinholes. I think $1500 for a good working V-8 with front swings and with those extras is a fair price. Do you have a tripod & lens for it yet? One more film holder would also be nice, too.

Thanks John. I tried to look this up and wasn't able to find a product that matches this name/description. Do you mind sharing a link? I do agree that the price seems more fair at where I am at right now. Finger crossed.

Cheap is good and cheap is what I'll need to be since this is a camera is an unplanned purchases. Funds were not suppose to go to a camera but hey, it's a new year so why not start it right with a new camera? :)

Pali K
5-Jan-2015, 20:31
OP: I am one of the idiots that Stone is referring to, as you can see from my comments on the other thread. I will be stepping up my legal action, if need be, but in the meantime, enjoy your camera. I had both a V5 and V8 in the past, and loved both of them. As previousy noted, there are other sources for Deardorff parts, fortunately......Bob

You LF folks can buy all the parts you want from him on eBay, but PLEASE advise everyone not to order a camera from him, as you will have neither your camera nor your money to show for it...Bob

Oh man, sorry to hear about your situation Bob. Good luck and I hope you get your items or a resolution soon.

I have had the same experience, I read horror stories about undelivered cameras, but when I buy bits and pieces from his ebay storefront service is quick and exactly as described. Very odd.

Thanks Bruce - For now, I am hoping that I don't need anything except a new lens and some film :)

Pali K
5-Jan-2015, 20:43
Thank you everyone for your help so far.

With camera situation hopefully under control (fingers crossed again), my next step is to start looking into lenses. Hoping that I can continue this conversation with everyone here with focus on some lenses that will go well with this camera. My go to lenses are the 90mm and 210mm on the 4x5 and I would like to have similar lenses for the 8x10 setup. I wish to use the camera mostly for landscape and architecture photography so my hope it to focus my search on sharper lenses. However, I really can't justify the higher end lenses so an ideal lens for me would be the sharpest lens that is around 300 each with newer shutters. If my budget is too low, I will likely have to settle for a single lens for around 500 for now and then look into the other down the road.

I am not sure if this happens much around here but I would also be willing to rent lenses, especially if recommendations lean towards single lens at the $500 range, if anyone would be willing to trust me with something like this.

John Kasaian
5-Jan-2015, 20:45
Here are some links to Equinox Photographic---
http://www.equinoxphotographic.com/large.htm
(the product is under the film holders & adapters & backs heading.)
And here's a suggested test for pinholes---
http://www.equinoxphotographic.com/bellows.htm

Pali K
6-Jan-2015, 11:42
Here are some links to Equinox Photographic---
http://www.equinoxphotographic.com/large.htm
(the product is under the film holders & adapters & backs heading.)
And here's a suggested test for pinholes---
http://www.equinoxphotographic.com/bellows.htm
Thanks John.

Pali K
6-Jan-2015, 16:35
All, would really appreciate your thoughts on my lense question. I would like to start looking for one right away so I can shoot soon after the camera gets here. Thanks in advance.

8x10 user
6-Jan-2015, 17:58
I'm almost done fixing up an 8x10 Dorff. Some of the nickel is worn on some of the brass. I looked into having the parts replated and found that new parts from Berry would be the same price. I decided just to stick with the parts that it came with. However, if I did purchase from him I would have most definitely used paypal; with a CC as the funding source so that I could get a refund if he did not come through. It sounded like he had the parts in stock and would ship immediately if I did place the order.

I have too many 8x10's (5 right now) so expect mine to appear in the FS section soon. It looks like a great camera for field use but I'm sticking to 5x7 for field and 8x10/11x14 for studio use.

karl french
6-Jan-2015, 18:09
Best bet for the 90mm equivalent at your price point is the older (Inside lettering) Fujinon W 210 f5.6.
The 210mm equivalent is more of a challenge. You could find a Nikon M 450/9 for $500 on a good day. For $300 in the 18" focal length you're going to be looking at an older lens. You might find and 19" Artar or Tessar in a shutter for $300.

John Kasaian
6-Jan-2015, 18:44
Best bet for the 90mm equivalent at your price point is the older (Inside lettering) Fujinon W 210 f5.6.
The 210mm equivalent is more of a challenge. You could find a Nikon M 450/9 for $500 on a good day. For $300 in the 18" focal length you're going to be looking at an older lens. You might find and 19" Artar or Tessar in a shutter for $300.
Igor lists a 12" Wollensak Velostigmat for $245 and a 13-1/2" Cooke Anastigmat for $265

Luis-F-S
6-Jan-2015, 19:11
My go to lenses are the 90mm and 210mm on the 4x5 and I would like to have similar lenses for the 8x10 setup. I wish to use the camera mostly for landscape and architecture photography so my hope it to focus my search on sharper lenses.
If I only had one lens for an 8x10 Deardorff, it would be a 12" Dagor. If you want a modern lens, I'd get a 300 Sironar N. Either should be available for a little under $500. I have both, but I'd go with the Dagor.

John Kasaian
6-Jan-2015, 19:21
If I only had one lens for an 8x10 Deardorff, it would be a 12" Dagor. If you want a modern lens, I'd get a 300 Sironar N. Either should be available for a little under $500. I have both, but I'd go with the Dagor.
My 12" Dagor is from between 1906 and 1908 according to the serial #. It's definitely a keeper. For architecture though, I really like the 10"/250mm WF Ektar. If it was good enough for the Hedrick Blessing photographers, it's good enough for me.
;)

karl french
6-Jan-2015, 19:54
I agree, if I could only have one lens, it would be a 12" Dagor. But he mentioned he was interested in a slightly wide and a slightly long lens.

bloodhoundbob
6-Jan-2015, 20:38
I'm almost done fixing up an 8x10 Dorff. Some of the nickel is worn on some of the brass. I looked into having the parts replated and found that new parts from Berry would be the same price. I decided just to stick with the parts that it came with. However, if I did purchase from him I would have most definitely used paypal; with a CC as the funding source so that I could get a refund if he did not come through. It sounded like he had the parts in stock and would ship immediately if I did place the order.

I have too many 8x10's (5 right now) so expect mine to appear in the FS section soon. It looks like a great camera for field use but I'm sticking to 5x7 for field and 8x10/11x14 for studio use.

IF I ever get my $3415 back from Cochran, I will definitely be scouring the FS ads on here for a V5 and V8!......Bob

dsphotog
6-Jan-2015, 21:08
4x5 is like a gateway drug.... With 8x10, the camera is only the beginning...

Pali K
9-Jan-2015, 20:59
4x5 is like a gateway drug.... With 8x10, the camera is only the beginning...

Talk about it - blowing through my budget even before getting the camera. Just purchased a Schneider 360mm f/6.8 Symmar-S MC Copal 3 in great condition that is on it's way. Way over budget but I wanted to save myself the future regret of not getting what I wanted and then spending more money in the long run. This for me is going to be the 210 replacement and I am still looking for a good 90mm replacement.

Do you think 150mm or 180mm on 8x10 would be too wide to consider? So hard to tell where the sweet spot will be going from 90mm 4x5 to a nice wide (but not super wide) on 8x10. What would you guys consider super wide on 8x10?

StoneNYC
9-Jan-2015, 23:56
Talk about it - blowing through my budget even before getting the camera. Just purchased a Schneider 360mm f/6.8 Symmar-S MC Copal 3 in great condition that is on it's way. Way over budget but I wanted to save myself the future regret of not getting what I wanted and then spending more money in the long run. This for me is going to be the 210 replacement and I am still looking for a good 90mm replacement.

Do you think 150mm or 180mm on 8x10 would be too wide to consider? So hard to tell where the sweet spot will be going from 90mm 4x5 to a nice wide (but not super wide) on 8x10. What would you guys consider super wide on 8x10?

To give you a KIND OF comparison...

This is 210mm on 8x10

This is 150mm on 4x10 of the same scene, you'll notice you get way more than 1 extra telephone pole down the jetty, you'll have to imagine what this looks like in 8x10 but it's a dramatic difference.

Hope that helps.

Pali K
10-Jan-2015, 09:04
To give you a KIND OF comparison...

This is 210mm on 8x10

This is 150mm on 4x10 of the same scene, you'll notice you get way more than 1 extra telephone pole down the jetty, you'll have to imagine what this looks like in 8x10 but it's a dramatic difference.

Hope that helps.
Thank you Stone! I think I'll stick to 210 since that was my initial want.

Quick update on my story. I just got the camera and it is in great condition. Thousand scratches but everything is solid and movements seem smooth and without gaps/jitters. Bellows seem OK and good chances are that I won't need to do much anytime soon.

I also wanted to say that people who shoot with these cameras are some of the nicest people. The seller himself agreed to $1300 because he was happy this is going to someone who will use it and not a dealer. He also threw in an extra 8x10 film holder as a nice gesture. He also drove an hour to make this easier on me. What a nice man to deal with and he just made my day. Actually, my year because I'll be having so much fun with this.

Total Package for $1300 included:
- Camera with all original parts in working condition
- 1 8x10 back
- 1 4x5 back
- 3 lens boards
- 1 reducing adapter
- 3 new style 8x10 plastic film holders

Thank you all again for helping me with the information on this camera. I'll be posting more pictures soon.

Pali

StoneNYC
10-Jan-2015, 13:50
Thank you Stone! I think I'll stick to 210 since that was my initial want.

Quick update on my story. I just got the camera and it is in great condition. Thousand scratches but everything is solid and movements seem smooth and without gaps/jitters. Bellows seem OK and good chances are that I won't need to do much anytime soon.

I also wanted to say that people who shoot with these cameras are some of the nicest people. The seller himself agreed to $1300 because he was happy this is going to someone who will use it and not a dealer. He also threw in an extra 8x10 film holder as a nice gesture. He also drove an hour to make this easier on me. What a nice man to deal with and he just made my day. Actually, my year because I'll be having so much fun with this.

Total Package for $1300 included:
- Camera with all original parts in working condition
- 1 8x10 back
- 1 4x5 back
- 3 lens boards
- 1 reducing adapter
- 3 new style 8x10 plastic film holders

Thank you all again for helping me with the information on this camera. I'll be posting more pictures soon.

Pali

Wow!!! Nice score!!! That's a great price, it cost me about $4,500 for the same amount of gear... So you're doing great!

Pali K
10-Jan-2015, 21:49
Wow!!! Nice score!!! That's a great price, it cost me about $4,500 for the same amount of gear... So you're doing great!
Thanks!

Also purchased Fujinon W 210 with writing on inside.

I think I am all set and just need the following now:

- 8x10 Film
- Funds for Jobo 3004 or Jobo 3005
- Nicer weather

Ari
11-Jan-2015, 16:15

- 8x10 Film
- Nicer weather

Tray process your X-ray film...in Florida!

Michael W
11-Jan-2015, 16:23
Thanks!

Also purchased Fujinon W 210 with writing on inside.

- 8x10 Film
- Nicer weather

I use a Jobo 2830 as a budget tank for processing 8x10. They were made for print processing but film works fine. You can do one or two sheets, rolling with 300ml liquid. You'll be able to get one far cheaper than the expert tanks - between $50 and $100 at a guess.

Pali K
11-Jan-2015, 17:24
I use a Jobo 2830 as a budget tank for processing 8x10. They were made for print processing but film works fine. You can do one or two sheets, rolling with 300ml liquid. You'll be able to get one far cheaper than the expert tanks - between $50 and $100 at a guess.
Michael, I did consider this option but I read somewhere that they don't do so well with C41 and E6 films because of the layer on the back of the film. Have you processed color in this tank? Any thoughts from your experience?

Pali K
11-Jan-2015, 17:27
Tray process your X-ray film...in Florida!
This is the plan for the short term :) for BW. I currently have no option to keep chemicals warm for color processing though so will need to go to JOBO at some point.

You bring up another point that I have no clue about - xray film. Will read up on the technical side of this but do you have any practical considerations (pros/cons) on using xray film?

Thanks!

Luis-F-S
11-Jan-2015, 17:27

In a word YES! It's not a direct convention to 4x5 but you'll figure that out. You already bought a 360 which is rather long. I'd do a 210 Dagor or G-Claron.

StoneNYC
11-Jan-2015, 17:46
This is the plan for the short term :) for BW. I currently have no option to keep chemicals warm for color processing though so will need to go to JOBO at some point.

You bring up another point that I have no clue about - xray film. Will read up on the technical side of this but do you have any practical considerations (pros/cons) on using xray film?

Thanks!

When I used to process color film myself, I simply made a water bath and kept a tea kettle of hot water next to the bath, when it would drop down I would add just a little bit of water at a time to keep it at the right temperature, I would keep all the bottles in a water bath like this in a regular old plastic container like you would get at Walmart or something for storing your clothes in etc.

I did this all hand inversion.

So it can be done, but it's more difficult than using a JOBO

Michael W
11-Jan-2015, 23:26
Michael, I did consider this option but I read somewhere that they don't do so well with C41 and E6 films because of the layer on the back of the film. Have you processed color in this tank? Any thoughts from your experience?
I've only done B&W in this tank. There are thin, low profile ridges running down the length of the inner wall that would leave room for chemicals to circulate, so I can't see the back of any film being a problem. B&W film also has an anti-halation layer on the back & I find that gets removed OK. These tanks were designed for processing colour paper in RA4 so I don't get how any other colour process wouldn't work.

Ari
12-Jan-2015, 12:50
...do you have any practical considerations (pros/cons) on using xray film?

These threads have been going strong for a while now, and contain a treasure trove of information:

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?80011-Images-shot-on-X-ray-film

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?48099-X-ray-Film-example-and-comparison

Pali K
13-Jan-2015, 08:59
These threads have been going strong for a while now, and contain a treasure trove of information:

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?80011-Images-shot-on-X-ray-film

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?48099-X-ray-Film-example-and-comparison

Thanks Ari - have been reading these since yesterday and all of my questions have already been addressed. I purchased a fresh box of HP5 for now and I'll look into xray film once I run out of this one.

Pali K
10-Feb-2015, 17:46
So I ordered a pair of ground glass clips for the camera from the new Deardorff company and received it in 4 days. For what it's worth, the service was excellent.

karl french
10-Feb-2015, 18:41
It's hit or miss. I just had a totally unsatisfactory experience with them. That is not quite resolved.

John Kasaian
10-Feb-2015, 22:14
I can't wait to hear about the OP's experiences with his new 'dorff! It sounds like he has a first class kit!

8x10 user
10-Feb-2015, 22:42
I ordered a new set of screws from Barry on Friday and they arrived Monday.

Robert Langham
11-Feb-2015, 05:28
I have both Ektar 250mm and 190mm Wide-Fields and like them. The shutters are a little dated but they work. 190mm will cover 8X10 but not much movement. It fits on the 5X7 as well. The 250 has plenty of movement.

John Kasaian
11-Feb-2015, 08:56
The 250mm/10" Wide Field Ektar will handle all the front rise a V8 'dorff can muster. It's a beautiful thing!

Pali K
11-Feb-2015, 09:25
I can't wait to hear about the OP's experiences with his new 'dorff! It sounds like he has a first class kit!

John, The camera is a beauty! I love everything about it. It's appearance is full of character and the rest is mechanically flawless. I posted some pictures in the "Show off your camera" thread but here they are again to keep everyone in the loop.

http://www.netsoft2k.com/Docs/Media/Pictures/Scans/Deardorff/Camera%20Pics/20150207_222231%20(Custom).jpg

http://www.netsoft2k.com/Docs/Media/Pictures/Scans/Deardorff/Camera%20Pics/20150207_222129%20(Custom).jpg

http://www.netsoft2k.com/Docs/Media/Pictures/Scans/Deardorff/Camera%20Pics/20150207_222404%20(Custom).jpg

http://www.netsoft2k.com/Docs/Media/Pictures/Scans/Deardorff/Camera%20Pics/20150207_223205%20(Custom).jpg

- Pali

Pali K
11-Feb-2015, 09:26
I also picked up the following lenses to go with it:

Fujinon-W 210mm F5.6 (Covers 8x10 nicely)

http://www.netsoft2k.com/Docs/Media/Pictures/Scans/Deardorff/Camera%20Pics/20150207_221705%20(Custom).jpg

Schneider Symmar-S 360mm F6.8

http://www.netsoft2k.com/Docs/Media/Pictures/Scans/Deardorff/Camera%20Pics/20150207_221541%20(Custom).jpg

- Pali

Pali K
11-Feb-2015, 09:28
I have been having so much fun with this setup and have posted some recent images in the other threads. Below are some things that I have been doing with it :)

http://www.netsoft2k.com/Docs/Media/Pictures/Scans/Deardorff/Camera%20Pics/20150207_221022%20(Custom).jpg

Final images with the camera:

http://photolog.netsoft2k.com/blogImages/0215Light%20Bulb%20Still%20-%2002072015%20-%20001%20Web.jpg

http://photolog.netsoft2k.com/blogImages/0215Deardorff%20Light%20Bulb%20Still%20Take%20II%20-%20Web.jpg

- Pali

John Kasaian
11-Feb-2015, 09:55
Neat! Beautiful photos!

Pali K
11-Feb-2015, 13:07
Neat! Beautiful photos!

Thank you John!

Pali K
23-Feb-2015, 21:30
Camera is ready to go out. However, I am still not ready to brave the weather outside.

F.64 BPX Ex. Large Photography Backpack is great and can carry everything (and more) that I need to take the Deardorff out on the field.
Showing some pics so you get an idea of this backpack but I would never carry everything that is shown because of the total weight.

http://www.netsoft2k.com/Docs/Media/Pictures/Scans/Deardorff/Camera%20Pics/20150223_225229%20(Custom).jpg

http://www.netsoft2k.com/Docs/Media/Pictures/Scans/Deardorff/Camera%20Pics/20150223_225349%20(Custom).jpg

http://www.netsoft2k.com/Docs/Media/Pictures/Scans/Deardorff/Camera%20Pics/20150223_225509%20(Custom).jpg

Pali

Pali K
23-Feb-2015, 21:32
http://www.netsoft2k.com/Docs/Media/Pictures/Scans/Deardorff/Camera%20Pics/20150223_225400%20(Custom).jpg

http://www.netsoft2k.com/Docs/Media/Pictures/Scans/Deardorff/Camera%20Pics/20150223_225413%20(Custom).jpg

http://www.netsoft2k.com/Docs/Media/Pictures/Scans/Deardorff/Camera%20Pics/20150223_225321%20(Custom).jpg

Pali

Pali K
23-Feb-2015, 21:34
http://www.netsoft2k.com/Docs/Media/Pictures/Scans/Deardorff/Camera%20Pics/20150223_225604%20(Custom).jpg

http://www.netsoft2k.com/Docs/Media/Pictures/Scans/Deardorff/Camera%20Pics/20150223_225704%20(Custom).jpg

Pali

StoneNYC
23-Feb-2015, 22:05
Pish/posh go take 1 photo OR ELSE!

Pali K
24-Feb-2015, 17:58
Pish/posh go take 1 photo OR ELSE!

Haha - I needed this. I'll be shooting tonight and making a trip outside this weekend.

Pali

StoneNYC
24-Feb-2015, 22:01
Haha - I needed this. I'll be shooting tonight and making a trip outside this weekend.

Pali

;). Enjoy!