PDA

View Full Version : How does this enlarger lens "rank?"

alavergh
2-Jan-2015, 21:24
Hi all.

I picked up a new enlarger lens and the price seemed pretty good. I keep looking around and finding what seems to be the same lens, only everybody seems to be asking for much more. I'll try to include a picture, but it's a Rodenstock Rodagon 1:2.8 f=50mm. It came with the case, glass appears very clear with a couple specs of dust that might just be on the outsides. The switch that alternates between smooth aperture adjustment and click stops works perfectly and the aperture blades seem perfect. I can't see anything wrong with it, but it was comfortably less than $50. Is this a different model than what I'm seeing? It's replacing the Beseler lens that came with my Beseler "Printmaker."

Thanks for your help. I kelp coming across APO models and "N" I think it was. Any info on production dates too?

Jac@stafford.net
2-Jan-2015, 21:39
The Rodenstock Rodagon is a top quality lens.
You got yours at about a $450 less than new retail.
What they really sell for is around $125 used.

alavergh
2-Jan-2015, 22:06
Thanks for a quick response. Do you know where they get this "Rodagon" name? Is that what's assigned to the way the elements are grouped, or something else? I need to find a page about all these different kinds of lenses.

John Kasaian
3-Jan-2015, 06:24
Hi Andrew. I've never met a Rodenstock lens I didn't like. It should be a substantial improvement over your Beseler---give it a try!
You got a heck of a deal.

EdSawyer
3-Jan-2015, 13:46
It is a 6-element gauss design. Mid grade in the rodenstock line. Apo rodagons and apo rodagon Ns are above it, rognars are below it. $50ish is about the average selling price for these. Apo rodagon N 50/2.8 usually go in the $200-300 range. They make good 8-10x loupes as well.

ic-racer
3-Jan-2015, 16:21
Good deals can still be had for most darkroom items.

Bob Salomon
3-Jan-2015, 17:19
It is a 6-element gauss design. Mid grade in the rodenstock line. Apo rodagons and apo rodagon Ns are above it, rognars are below it. $50ish is about the average selling price for these. Apo rodagon N 50/2.8 usually go in the $200-300 range. They make good 8-10x loupes as well.

Bit simplified.

Apo Rodagon-N are top of the line for Rodenstock lens for general printing.
They replaced the old Apo Rodagon lenses.
Rodagons are directly under the Apo Rodagon-N series.
Rogonar-S were below the Rodagon.
Rogonar lenses were the basic Rodenstock enlarging lenses.

Rodagon-G lenses were specifically made for mural printing.

The OP has one of the best lenses made for enlarging. But, like all enlarging lenses, it must be used with a glass carrier, a properly aligned enlarger, at optimal aperture and within its optimal magnification range to obtain its best performance.