PDA

View Full Version : need help in determining value of LF equipment

mkp
2-Jan-2015, 16:12
Hi, I would like help in determining value of LF equipment that I've acquired. If I put together a list and posted it on this site could someone please help me with this?

I have cameras, lenses, film holders, lens boards....

Thank You !

Dan Fromm
2-Jan-2015, 16:26
No one here is particularly good at pricing. Your best bet is to look for transactions for your items on ebay that closed in sales. www.keh.com usually charges fair prices, if they have items like yours their prices are a guide to retail. If you sell to a dealer you'll get wholesale, usually no more than half retail.

Patrick13
2-Jan-2015, 16:43
I'll second the completed and closed transactions not when you do your ebay searches. Asking and buyout values are often... questionable.

mkp
2-Jan-2015, 17:05
I'm in agreement. selling price is key.

I would also like to learn about what I have, quality and how old this stuff is. I may keep some and sell what I don't think I'll ever use. so I may be asking questions about some of my lenses. thx

Old-N-Feeble
2-Jan-2015, 18:02
I'll give you $5 for the lot shipped to me. :)

JK.. the others are right. Research....

Peter Collins
2-Jan-2015, 19:46
Search this Forum. I have found completed sales here that have helped, but remember that some exchanges in Private Mail might be buyers offering a sum less than asked by the Seller. But this is a good place to start. Better than eBay, I have learned.

mkp
2-Jan-2015, 19:55
Thanks for the advice. can I view completed sales on this forum and eBay?

Michael W
2-Jan-2015, 21:40
Thanks for the advice. can I view completed sales on this forum and eBay?
On this forum you have to be a member for 30 days before the for sale section is visible. On ebay you used advanced search and then select sold listings or completed listings. By the way, I think a "what's it worth" thread here is a good idea.

IanG
3-Jan-2015, 00:15
I'd look at what dealers are selling the items for second hand, that can be less than ebay but is generally more accurate (if you chose the right dealers). Also you don't say where you are located, values are much higher in Europe compared to the US by somewhere in the region of 50% or more.

Ian

Old-N-Feeble
3-Jan-2015, 09:43
While researching don't forget to read the descriptions carefully so those items are a fair comparison to yours. Also, take into account the shipping cost of the things that sold vs. how much you would charge because the shipping cost affects sale price. Another thing: Sale price can vary greatly for the same items in similar condition especially when "buy-it-now" prices are involved.

mkp
3-Jan-2015, 10:08
On this forum you have to be a member for 30 days before the for sale section is visible. On ebay you used advanced search and then select sold listings or completed listings. By the way, I think a "what's it worth" thread here is a good idea.

Thanks, i didnt realize this. when ever I see what things are going for on ebay i usually "watch item" and see what it sold for.

I agree, "what's it worth thread" is an excellent idea.

mkp
3-Jan-2015, 10:09
While researching don't forget to read the descriptions carefully so those items are a fair comparison to yours. Also, take into account the shipping cost of the things that sold vs. how much you would charge because the shipping cost affects sale price. Another thing: Sale price can vary greatly for the same items in similar condition especially when "buy-it-now" prices are involved.

yes. need to be fair. I think sometimes that people have a tendency to think their stuff is worth more than it really is (i do it)....