PDA

View Full Version : What's going to be your first LF photograph of 2015?

John Kasaian
1-Jan-2015, 11:22
Maybe you've already taken it. Maybe you're planning something. Perhaps you have an on-going project. Maybe you're just hung over and annoyed by the marching bands in the Rose Bowl Parade on the television.
What is going to be your first LF photograph of 2015?

ndrs
1-Jan-2015, 11:58
Probably our family photo in next few days, taken on a 5x7 Agfa APX100 glass plate. I need to sort out the self-timer first.

baro-nite
1-Jan-2015, 15:52
My first LF photograph of 2015 will be my first LF photograph. First step, procure camera...

scheinfluger_77
1-Jan-2015, 16:01
My first LF photo this year will probably be somewhere on the Univesity of Missouri campus where I work. I'll be using my Crown Graphic with my new2me Wollensak Wide Angle 4-1/4" f6.8 lens.

Kimberly Anderson
1-Jan-2015, 16:33
Went out to Great Salt Lake and photographed with the 4x10. I was thinking of doing a 12x20 but it wasn't there. I will go back out tomorrow and try again. It's part of an ongoing project. I also have a tradition of making an image on 12/31 as well as 1/1 every year. I like the idea of ending the year and starting it doing something I love.

DG 3313
1-Jan-2015, 17:10
Shot a 4x5 test neg. of the Dan Bilbrey Plaza in Tracy, Ca. (Tri-x expired Sept, 1976).

Vaughn
1-Jan-2015, 17:34
Don't know yet. Traditionally, it would have been of my boys today out along Prairie Creek somewhere, but it did not happen (hopefully later this month!)

Finally got most of my 8x10 holders emptied and film developed, so I feel I can load some more film up. I have too many 11x14 sheets to process still, so I will wait to go that size until I whittle down the backlog. But I really would like to get around to modifying an 11x14 darkslide to get two 5.5x14 images per 11x14 sheet (image size would be more like 5"x13.5"). I have a couple extra darkslides (metal) and a coping saw around here somewhere. Got to see if I have the right blade and also find a file around here.

Took a short bicycle ride from the house yesterday afternoon. I saw some nice light that a 5x14 using a 270mm to 300mm lens would be the sweetest thing. It got me to thinking that a trailer for the bike could serve me well -- I could bike the 11x14 right to where I want to photograph, or unhitch the trailer and use it as a cart if the situation calls for it. But I could take the 8x10 and make a few 4x10's for now.

What a nice thought to start the New Year!

David R Munson
1-Jan-2015, 17:44
It'll be whatever strikes my fancy on the day some time later this year when I have a view camera again. Hopefully an 8x10. :D

Mark Sawyer
1-Jan-2015, 17:45
Tink is tapping her tiny toes, impatiently waiting for me...

MIke Sherck
2-Jan-2015, 09:54
Now that she's finished with it, I'm going to photograph my mom's form-fitted mesh mask they used to immobilize her head while she underwent radiation treatment for brain cancer. I've had it for a week, just working myself up to it...

One of those moments I knew would come where I wish I still had my 8x10.

Mike

towolf
2-Jan-2015, 11:20
Just soaked six macro sheets of a chinese spoon compass replica, which has a nice iridiscent metal finish.

http://imgur.com/QUNLzxTl.jpg

Also, somehow Agfa Refinal smells like paté de foie.

Nicolasllasera
2-Jan-2015, 12:30
Hope to expose my first 11x14 with the new to me Chamonix camera that made here on Christmas.

h2oman
3-Jan-2015, 08:11
A couple of oak trees - image made yesterday but not yet developed...

esearing
3-Jan-2015, 19:53
starting again after many years of doing nothing. So first shots will likely be backyard film tests of scenes with high and low contrast. I've only shot Type 55 in past so reading everything here and have ordered first box of film.

StoneNYC
3-Jan-2015, 23:12
The one I took the other day, still haven't developed it, but here I am "in action" courtesy of an ex-LF shooter gone digital.

Shooting a 4x10 image with my Chamonix 8x10 and 150 SS XL on HP5+

Ken Lee
4-Jan-2015, 09:22
http://www.kenleegallery.com/images/forum/2015-01-01.jpg
Vintage Tea Pot, January 1 2015
Sinar P, 240mm Fujinon A
4x5 TMY, D-23

Bill_1856
4-Jan-2015, 09:28
Guess that I'll take the last of my Polaroid type 52 out of the fridge -- just in case I find something worth shooting.

Andrew O'Neill
4-Jan-2015, 09:31
Not sure. Taking a breather after 6 months in the darkroom printing for a show. Maybe it's just the jet lag talking...

tgtaylor
4-Jan-2015, 09:35
Here's my first photo of 2015:

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7480/15576328793_28a1e3f54c.jpg

It was taken Friday afternoon, 2 January, and developed that evening. I printed it as a salted paper print yesterday morning.

Thomas

angusparker
6-Jan-2015, 22:28
Here's my first photo of 2015:

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7480/15576328793_28a1e3f54c.jpg

It was taken Friday afternoon, 2 January, and developed that evening. I printed it as a salted paper print yesterday morning.

Thomas

Nice. Where is this? Best Angus

FrankS
7-Jan-2015, 06:53
The one I took the other day, still haven't developed it, but here I am "in action" courtesy of an ex-LF shooter gone digital.

Shooting a 4x10 image with my Chamonix 8x10 and 150 SS XL on HP5+

With such a short bellows draw, it looks like a wide angle lens, right?
Judging by the direction the camera is facing, you will be including your shadow in the frame.
Was that your intent?

Jim Noel
7-Jan-2015, 09:28
Maybe you've already taken it. Maybe you're planning something. Perhaps you have an on-going project. Maybe you're just hung over and annoyed by the marching bands in the Rose Bowl Parade on the television.
What is going to be your first LF photograph of 2015?

It was a 7x17 of barren trees in the dried up portion of the Salton Sea.

tgtaylor
7-Jan-2015, 09:46
Nice. Where is this? Best Angus

Thanks Angus.

This was taken at Pillar Point Harbor in San Mateo county - next to Princeton By The Sea where all the seafood restaurants are. I actually shot two negatives. After taking the first I broke down the camera and then noticed that the shutter speed was set at 1/30 second instead of 1/60 second which would have been a full stop overexposure in addition to the 2/3 stop that I gave it. So I remounted the camera and shot a 2d but had a little more rise on the front standard which resulted in less sea showing near the hull. Although this 2d exposure was superior because of the 1-stop overexposure, I printed the first thinking that more space at the boats hull was the stronger composition. However that print ended-up with the stain appearing at the top left and I didn't want to matt and frame a flawed print. So I reprinted it and the 2d negative last weekend and both came out perfect. Because of the 1-stop over-exposure the print of the 2d negative is better in that regards (slightly more density appears in the background boats and the rust stains on the hull appear more dense as well) the composition is just as strong and perhaps even stronger than the first: The foreground boat appears larger and closer and a seagull appears on top opf one of the masts. So I'm mounting both but only framing one.

Thomas

angusparker
7-Jan-2015, 09:52
Thanks Angus.

This was taken at Pillar Point Harbor in San Mateo county - next to Princeton By The Sea where all the seafood restaurants are. I actually shot two negatives. After taking the first I broke down the camera and then noticed that the shutter speed was set at 1/30 second instead of 1/60 second which would have been a full stop overexposure in addition to the 2/3 stop that I gave it. So I remounted the camera and shot a 2d but had a little more rise on the front standard which resulted in less sea showing near the hull. Although this 2d exposure was superior because of the 1-stop overexposure, I printed the first thinking that more space at the boats hull was the stronger composition. However that print ended-up with the stain appearing at the top left and I didn't want to matt and frame a flawed print. So I printed it and the 2d negative last weekend and both came out perfect. Because of the 1-stop over-exposure the print of the 2d negative is better in that regards (slightly more density appears in the background boats and the rust stains on the hull appear more dense as well) the composition is just as strong and perhaps even stronger than the first: The foreground boat appears larger and closer and a seagull appears on top opf one of the masts. So I'm mounting both but only framing one.

Thomas

Thanks for the info. Figured it was somewhere close.

Thomas Greutmann
7-Jan-2015, 10:39
I made my first LF photographs 2015 last weekend, hope I find the time to develop them next weekend. Subject was full moon rising over a swamp with deadwood. Wondering how they turn out.

The location is a nature preserve right in the neighborhood, so I've been there with the camera gear a couple of times before. This is how things looked like 3 years ago in summer:

http://www.blackandwhitegallery.de/serverup/show/000614-fi-hamburg-wittmoor.jpg

Will post the this year's results here when I've done with developing and scanning.

Greetings, Thomas

StoneNYC
7-Jan-2015, 10:44
With such a short bellows draw, it looks like a wide angle lens, right?
Judging by the direction the camera is facing, you will be including your shadow in the frame.
Was that your intent?

Frank, thanks for the question, I think you might have missed the info I posted with the image, if you re-read it, you'll see I was shooting a 150mm lens in a 4x10 panoramic format for this image.

I did not say this, but I do not use a centered 4x10 back as some do, I instead use a "half slide" in a normal 8x10 holder, so in this case I had to use almost full rise I order to get the image centered on the lens as the open portion of the half slide was on the top of the holder. I was careful not to include my shadow, let's hope I didn't! :)

I hope that answers your questions? My intent was a panoramic scene of a bog area. I had originally planned to shoot this image with EFKE IR 820 as I felt the contrast between the water and sky and all the plant life would be very interesting, however it was extremely windy that day and by the time I was set up, I decided text camera would vibrate too much for a good image, so I used the HP5+ holder instead as I thought it still might be an interesting normal B&W image.

When I develop and scan them I will post the result :)

Regular Rod
7-Jan-2015, 16:01
Some interesting nooks and crannies by the Derbyshire Wye (already exposed)...

RR

Bill_1856
7-Jan-2015, 20:49
Here's a digital scout shot of what I hope to make on my last sheet of Polaroid 52 for my first 2015 LP image.
It is on my patio, some 20 feet across the pool, and at virtually ground level.
It would be a piece of cake with straight film -- shoot it and crop it -- but with Polaroid the composition must be exact. I'm having a bitch (and a lot of fun) trying to set it up.
1/4sec@f:22, ISO=400,K2 filter.

Bill_1856
11-Jan-2015, 17:56
Here's a digital scout shot of what I hope to make on my last sheet of Polaroid 52 for my first 2015 LP image.
It is on my patio, some 20 feet across the pool, and at virtually ground level.
It would be a piece of cake with straight film -- shoot it and crop it -- but with Polaroid the composition must be exact. I'm having a bitch (and a lot of fun) trying to set it up.
1/4sec@f:22, ISO=400,K2 filter.
Here's the final Polaroid shot, (you can see that I didn't quite crop it like the digital shot).
Linhof Color 45S, 240mm Symmar-S MC, 1/8 sec @ f:11 (no filter). Copied with Sony T100, and doodied up in PS Elements (contrast and brightness only).127941

Bill_1856
13-Jan-2015, 10:04
Here's the final Polaroid shot, (you can see that I didn't quite crop it like the digital shot).
Linhof Color 45S, 240mm Symmar-S MC, 1/8 sec @ f:11 (no filter). Copied with Sony T100, and doodied up in PS Elements (contrast and brightness only).127941

A little more cropping of the print margins, some sepia toning: not bad, and a lot of fun.128009