PDA

View Full Version : The Annual Upgrade

John Kasaian
31-Dec-2014, 17:00
Every year I try to upgrade some part of my kit from "cheap but good enough to get by with" to "hey this is pretty slick"
For example, over the years I've upgraded:
My light meter from an "iffy" swap meet Adams to a Luna Pro SBC.
My focusing loupe went from a uiquitous Agfa to a tilting Silvestri
Assorted cable releases of disreputable ancestry to professional grade Gepes
A motley collection of worn out gear bags replaced with a pair of Mil-spec surplus coyote tan 5 gallon water can coolers for toting film holders
A downright bizarre grain focuser to a Bestwell
Little by little my kit has gotten better, or at least better functioning. I'm thinking this practice has served me well over the years. As I'm contemplating what, if anything to upgrade this year I was wondering if anyone here does the same sort of yearly thing? If so, what bit of your kit are you planning on upgrading?

Jac@stafford.net
31-Dec-2014, 20:02
I am about through upgrading.

Tried to upgrade from my 35 year-old girlfriend. The Goddess of Girls asked for an ID. She looked at it and sent me away with, "Hey, old man, yer donor card is past its "Use By" date.

Seriously, I'm a downwardly mobile kinda guy. Selling, not buying.

Sirius Glass
31-Dec-2014, 20:34
I am about through upgrading.

Tried to upgrade from my 35 year-old girlfriend. The Goddess of Girls asked for an ID. She looked at it and sent me away with, "Hey, old man, yer donor card is past its "Use By" date.

Seriously, I'm a downwardly mobile kinda guy. Selling, not buying.

Move on to other women, she is not worth your time. You can do better and men become more distinguished with age, women just get old.

Bill Burk
31-Dec-2014, 21:46
Yesterday someone posted a video from a concert 24 years ago...

Tiny Tim's on stage and as they pan to the audience, you can see me in the audience in the second row with a cute red-head seated by my side.

I think I'll keep her as long as I can.

Only upgrade I'm considering is a 6.5cm Protar... and that's not really an upgrade - it's something completely new to me.

Jac@stafford.net
31-Dec-2014, 22:14
Move on to other women, she is not worth your time. You can do better and men become more distinguished with age, women just get old.

I was writing in jest. Truth is, when I was young I could not fathom old couples, but now I am one living with one. When we met I was living on thousands of acres (http://www.digoliardi.net/farm2.jpg)of beautiful rolling highland, had long hair and was fit (http://www.digoliardi.net/me-1995.jpg). She was a skinny, red-headed Irish gal (http://www.digoliardi.net/molly_n_bigdog.jpg). We have been together decades. You can guess that my hair and youth is gone (http://www.digoliardi.net/moi_jb.jpg), and her skinniness is yesterday and red hair is really white. We are a genuine thing (http://www.digoliardi.net/molly%20and%20me%20by%20jason%20molenda.jpg), and forever. Now I understand.

(We still have our original VW Bug, too.)

Sirius Glass
31-Dec-2014, 23:11
I upgraded to collecting the Jobo print drums, RA-4 chemicals and color paper. I am ready to rock by resuming color printing now that I have the time.

Larry Kellogg
1-Jan-2015, 08:19
I was writing in jest. Truth is, when I was young I could not fathom old couples, but now I am one living with one. When we met I was living on thousands of acres (http://www.digoliardi.net/farm2.jpg)of beautiful rolling highland, had long hair and was fit (http://www.digoliardi.net/me-1995.jpg). She was a skinny, red-headed Irish gal (http://www.digoliardi.net/molly_n_bigdog.jpg). We have been together decades. You can guess that my hair and youth is gone (http://www.digoliardi.net/moi_jb.jpg), and her skinniness is yesterday and red hair is really white. We are a genuine thing (http://www.digoliardi.net/molly%20and%20me%20by%20jason%20molenda.jpg), and forever. Now I understand.

Nice. I guess that's what time gives us, the ability to recognize the genuine thing, the real article. Happy New Year to you and your Irish gal.

John Kasaian
1-Jan-2015, 09:30
Yeah I really can't think of anything I'd really need to add or replace this year--my photo gear is all working and if not high quality (as in the latest and greatest) then certainly good quality. This yearly custom has worked well for me with this and other hobbies as well.

Bill Burk
1-Jan-2015, 09:52
I was writing in jest. ... She was a skinny, red-headed Irish gal (http://www.digoliardi.net/molly_n_bigdog.jpg).

Whew! Glad you were kidding. Do you still have big dogs?

That's one upgrade that almost happened, to a Pyrenees (coincidentally named Molly). That we don't have her is a heartbreak... My brother-in-law was having trouble with her roaming off his ranch. We have experience with escape-artists, so thought we'd be good for her. The dog was as loving as could be. You can't help but wrap your arms around that huge Mac-truck-built head and give her big hugs. She loved that. But she had been abused and her protective nature had been exploited. One evening after we had her for almost a week she attacked our friends - almost as if she'd been taught to "sic". We had to give her back... We get to visit her, because he'll make it work somehow. But it really hurt to have to give her up.

bigdog
1-Jan-2015, 09:55
Camera gear kind of comes and goes as needed.

Upgrades seem to be in the darkroom. Maybe this year I'll finally get around to "upgrading" the temporary light switch for the work lights over the sinks to a permanent switch. Maybe I'll finally fabricate the acrylic split grade filter holders for the condenser head (had the acrylic and Rosco filter material for ages ...)

I did just upgrade the darkroom's stereo! :cool:

Bill Burk
1-Jan-2015, 10:13
Camera gear kind of comes and goes as needed.

Upgrades seem to be in the darkroom. Maybe this year I'll finally get around to "upgrading" the temporary light switch for the work lights over the sinks to a permanent switch. Maybe I'll finally fabricate the acrylic split grade filter holders for the condenser head (had the acrylic and Rosco filter material for ages ...)

I did just upgrade the darkroom's stereo! :cool:

I've got an X10 radio control module for the work light. The remote key fob hangs from a string on the enlarger side. With no conductive connection between them, I have nothing to worry about when turning on and off the light.

Jac@stafford.net
1-Jan-2015, 10:27
Whew! Glad you were kidding. Do you still have big dogs?

No. Big Dog lived to 11 1/2 years which is two years over the mean. It breaks my heart as well. I have always had hearty big dogs, the previous being a line Saint Bernards. We moved into town from the land 14 years ago; it is no place for a working dog. Great Pyrenees do not need more space than our current large fenced property, but they bark so much to remind the world that they are on-duty that the neighbor made life difficult for all of us.

That's one upgrade that almost happened, to a Pyrenees (coincidentally named Molly). That we don't have her is a heartbreak... My brother-in-law was having trouble with her roaming off his ranch. We have experience with escape-artists, so thought we'd be good for her. The dog was as loving as could be. You can't help but wrap your arms around that huge Mac-truck-built head and give her big hugs. She loved that. But she had been abused and her protective nature had been exploited. One evening after we had her for almost a week she attacked our friends - almost as if she'd been taught to "sic". We had to give her back... We get to visit her, because he'll make it work somehow. But it really hurt to have to give her up.

I've never known a GP to bite a human. Sure, he would run and throw his 175 pounds against a threat, stand on the unlucky creature's chest and bark and slobber in its face, but not bite.

My deepest sympathies and curses to her abuser. Perhaps she will recover, but it seems unlikely.

Toyon
1-Jan-2015, 10:41
My upgrade is to remember to do things the hard way. That means waiting the full 40 minutes in the cold for the clouds to clear. Double-checking the groundglass with a fine-tooth loupe to optimize focus. Walking through poison ivy to get to the better camera position, remembering to check tripod leg locks for tightness, cleaning film holders, separating film holders to prevent damage. And most important - to stop, when I see something and look around, no matter how tired I am, or how dicey the neighborhood, or how cold it is.

John Kasaian
1-Jan-2015, 10:59
One year my "upgrade" was buying a mini shop vac (on sale of course---this time of year everything's on sale) with the small tips and dedicated to cleaning film holders and other camera stuff. It replaced a Micro-vac which suddenly refused to suck and accompanied by an ominous small black plume of smoke.

StoneNYC
1-Jan-2015, 11:04
Toyon's got it right.

Also, if you don't know what upgrade, maybe you don't need to upgrade anything, maybe your gear is working just the way it needs to to make the images you want, if there's nothing in your current kit that you really really think you need to upgrade, maybe look at an additional lens that is not part of your working focal length as an option for a different perspective. If that doesn't work, don't upgrade, just shoot more film and buy more film :)

Peter Gomena
1-Jan-2015, 11:06
I need to upgrade my time in the field, on the beach, and on the road.

John Kasaian
1-Jan-2015, 11:15
I need to upgrade my time in the field, on the beach, and on the road.
Yes in deed!:)

Jody_S
1-Jan-2015, 13:09
My upgrade was returned because it was badly scratched and had a spotty fungus problem (Wolly Ser. II soft focus 15-1/2"). Oh well, there's always another lens, and I have a stack of them waiting to be tried, including a beautiful 14"/4.5 B&L Ser. 1 Tessar with the original hood.

TheToadMen
2-Jan-2015, 03:54
I decided to stop upgrading and/or expanding for a while and start using everything I've got first. And maybe let some gear go in the proces. Finishing projects before I pick up new ones, so to say...

Bruce Barlow
2-Jan-2015, 04:50
I hope to upgrade my head. I haven't made an LF exposure in far too long, and now I live in a relative paradise.

So, how 'bout a series where I set up the 5x7 aimed at a nice composition of the water through my trees, and starting early on a sunny summer morning, make one negative every hour all day long, just to see how the light changes? Print them all, and have a sequence. I've wanted to do that for years. Time to get around to it.

I have a show scheduled for December in Freeport. I don't want to use any work already made. So, photographing intentionally for a show, what should I do?

And more projects not yet imagined. Then there's the digital stuff, too, blasphemous as it is. I bought a cheapie Holga lens to put on my DSLR, which gives really sweet results. I'm thinking portraits, and at the moment it's just fun to play with to see what things look like photographed with it.

These are head upgrades worthy of early morning contemplation with good coffee.

Oh, and I'll upgrade the new darkroom by finishing it.

jnantz
2-Jan-2015, 10:08
Every year I try to upgrade some part of my kit from "cheap but good enough to get by with" to "hey this is pretty slick"
For example, over the years I've upgraded:
My light meter from an "iffy" swap meet Adams to a Luna Pro SBC.
My focusing loupe went from a uiquitous Agfa to a tilting Silvestri
Assorted cable releases of disreputable ancestry to professional grade Gepes
A motley collection of worn out gear bags replaced with a pair of Mil-spec surplus coyote tan 5 gallon water can coolers for toting film holders
A downright bizarre grain focuser to a Bestwell
Little by little my kit has gotten better, or at least better functioning. I'm thinking this practice has served me well over the years. As I'm contemplating what, if anything to upgrade this year I was wondering if anyone here does the same sort of yearly thing? If so, what bit of your kit are you planning on upgrading?

hi john

i don't have many things that i am planning to upgrade ..
mainly just materials --- i am using dektol now instead of ansco 130
equipment wise ... i am fixing a polaroid 500 camera (not one of the new ones
but one that took 4x5 sheet film ) so it has a working flash sync.
the flash sync currently on it is dead

Toyon
2-Jan-2015, 10:43
hi john

Why is Dektol an upgrade?

John Kasaian
2-Jan-2015, 11:06
hi john

Cool!
I really enjoyed reading your blog, btw.
I've outgrown the "upgrade" scheme so for now my budget is limited to film, paper and chemicals, which is a good thing.
But back to the annual upgrade scheme:
I notice people getting into the hobby either
1) Want the best and want it now, or
2) Trying to get the best gear they can on a meager budget.

I think there is a certain level of satisfaction that comes with studying something (new OR used) then saving up for it, waiting for an affordable price, and then being able to get out and use it. Making this an annual thing adds a level of anticipation and excitement. I think it's good to start new years with a feeling of anticipation and excitement----even if its about a new set of trays or pro quality cable releases. :)

Larry Kellogg
2-Jan-2015, 11:43
I hope to upgrade my head. I haven't made an LF exposure in far too long, and now I live in a relative paradise.

So, how 'bout a series where I set up the 5x7 aimed at a nice composition of the water through my trees, and starting early on a sunny summer morning, make one negative every hour all day long, just to see how the light changes? Print them all, and have a sequence. I've wanted to do that for years. Time to get around to it.

I had to do something similar in one of my photo classes. I had to take 36 photos of a bench. I know, not large format, but still a good idea. It's amazing what you can come up with when doing an exercise like that. I shot under the bench, over, close, far, with people, without people, etc.

By the way, this book, The Photographer's Playbook has a lot of good exercises from well known photographers:

http://aperture.org/shop/the-photographer-s-playbook-books

jnantz
2-Jan-2015, 14:07
Why is Dektol an upgrade?

hi toyon
it might be an upgrade , because it is new and different after 15+ years that i have gone back to it
it might be a lateral move because well, it is a nice middle of the road print developer ( that i will be using for film )
or it might be a downgrade because, well, ansco 130 i have a long running relationship with and it will take some getting used to
a new developer ( even though i used it for year before i got hooked on the 130 ) and because my darkroom time is in spurts
with a lot of empty space inbetween so my gallon of dektol might go bad before i get a chance to use it up ( ansco 130 lasts for about a year when mixed as a stock ) ...
i'm hoping!! its an upgrade cause i am broke and can't afford 130 these days ... so far so good though, i've been processing film ( and paper ) with it
and it seemingly behaves like ansco130, so i am happy at least it seems like a lateral move :)

Cool!
I really enjoyed reading your blog, btw.
I've outgrown the "upgrade" scheme so for now my budget is limited to film, paper and chemicals, which is a good thing.
But back to the annual upgrade scheme:
I notice people getting into the hobby either
1) Want the best and want it now, or
2) Trying to get the best gear they can on a meager budget.

I think there is a certain level of satisfaction that comes with studying something (new OR used) then saving up for it, waiting for an affordable price, and then being able to get out and use it. Making this an annual thing adds a level of anticipation and excitement. I think it's good to start new years with a feeling of anticipation and excitement----even if its about a new set of trays or pro quality cable releases. :)

thanks john!
the blog thing is kind of fun -- :)

i agree, the yearly upgrade is a good thing. i always look forward to the end of the year ...
but onboard-car-computers, ignition coils, strut mounts, cv joints and whatnot seem to take precedence this year
i'm already daydreaming about next year's upgrade ...
a rubber gasket for my ceramic coffee jar to store emulsion in :)

can't wait !

kenats’y
- john

Peter Collins
2-Jan-2015, 19:49
Well, for Christmas I treated myself to a Wisner Pocket Expedition 4x5, which is 2.25 lb lighter than my Wisner Technical Field 4x5. I hesitate to ask she who still loves me for more upgrades--for a while.

Larry Kellogg
3-Jan-2015, 07:22
Nice, Peter. How much does the Wisner Pocket 4x5 weigh? I have a Wisner Pocket 5x7 that weighs only 5.5 pounds.

Jac@stafford.net
3-Jan-2015, 08:22

Relative paradise? You Mother-in law passed away?

bigdog
3-Jan-2015, 09:06
I've got an X10 radio control module for the work light. The remote key fob hangs from a string on the enlarger side. With no conductive connection between them, I have nothing to worry about when turning on and off the light.

I had thought of using a wireless control, but decided against it. What happened is that I put in a row of led track lights over my sink, but just plugged them into a wall outlet with an in-line switch. Works fine, but really need to hard wire to a permanent wall switch.

chassis
3-Jan-2015, 20:26
My most recent upgrade was changing to stand development. For me it has meant consistently low contrast negatives (my goal) with minimum effort.

If all goes well, this year I will add a film scanner to my workflow and enter the world of digital images from film negatives.

I also hope to upgrade, or further develop, my artistic vision.

Zndrson
4-Jan-2015, 18:37
My next upgrade will probably be moving from 4x5 to 8x10. I'm thinking of incorporating 8x10 Polaroid into my wedding photography. I keep struggling with selling the 4x5 to help ease the cost of the 8x10 and using a reducing back for New55. I do hesitate at the thought of going on long hikes with the 8x10 and holders, though.

After that I'm dying to upgrade to a spot meter...

Alan Gales
4-Jan-2015, 23:42
My next upgrade will probably be moving from 4x5 to 8x10. I'm thinking of incorporating 8x10 Polaroid into my wedding photography. I keep struggling with selling the 4x5 to help ease the cost of the 8x10 and using a reducing back for New55. I do hesitate at the thought of going on long hikes with the 8x10 and holders, though.

After that I'm dying to upgrade to a spot meter...

I bought an 8x10 Wehman, added a 4x5 reduction back and sold my 4x5. It was the right choice for me since I am disabled and don't travel too far from my Jeep. If I was able to go on long hikes I would want a 4x5 camera in addition to the 8x10. I suggest that you buy the 8x10 first and use it for awhile before selling your 4x5. That way you can make an educated decision.

I highly recommend the Pentax digital spot meter. It's small, reliable and a joy to use.

jbenedict
4-Jan-2015, 23:54
I was writing in jest. Truth is, when I was young I could not fathom old couples, but now I am one living with one.

What is weird about being 58 is having a nice lunch with a 45 year old woman and considering her a "young woman".

I had my 40th HS reunion last summer and there were so many women who were considered just kind of average back then who look really good know. I guess a life lived well makes a difference.

Some of us old guys had kind of gone to seed...

----

My upgrade is a Rittreck with a 4x5 back and I just bought an 8x10 back here in the last few days. The camera folds up pretty small. I've gone in the field with an 8x10 B&J with a big tripod, a lens in a #5 shutter and 8 holders so the weight is no big deal. A 5x7 back will finish it off. I'd like to get a modern 300mm +/- lens for the 8x10 and use it for the other sizes, too, but don't really neeeeeed one. I'll be moving some of the old stuff out soooon...

jbenedict
4-Jan-2015, 23:57
My next upgrade will probably be moving from 4x5 to 8x10. I'm thinking of incorporating 8x10 Polaroid into my wedding photography. I keep struggling with selling the 4x5 to help ease the cost of the 8x10 and using a reducing back for New55. I do hesitate at the thought of going on long hikes with the 8x10 and holders, though. .

Somebody has too much money... ;)

Zndrson
5-Jan-2015, 10:18
Somebody has too much money... ;)

HA!

I assume you're referring to the 8x10 Polaroid? Only way I could sustain that is if clients pay for it. A lot of younger couples are really into film photography and tactile prints, so I'm optimistic.

Michael Graves
5-Jan-2015, 10:37
The upgrades that I like the most are the ones that make photography easier and ergonomically more pleasing. I have lenses that I'm satisfied with and have settled on Tri-X for black and white and Ektar for color. Ample supplies are in the freezer. So my most recent changes that made me happy are as follows. I know you mentioned some of these, but I'll toss it in anyway.

I got rid of all my cheesy vinyl-clad cable releases that jam up all the time and replaced them with high-quality cloth-covered cable releases. For short ones, I found Pentax, Nikon AR-3 and Ebony to be the best. I now have one of the aforementioned in every single bag I own, so whatever I grab has a good cable release. (Not that many bags, so it's not as extreme as it sounds.)

Dumped the cheap focusing loupe and got a high-quality Fuji for one lens bag and a nice Peak 7x for the one that holds film holders.

I standardized on a single brand of 4x5 film holder so I don't fumble as much in the dark. I sold (or am selling) all the others. I standardized on Toyo because I got a bunch of those new for a good price. Now as I empty them, I sell the Riteways, Liscos and Fidelities. I can't afford to be so picky with 8x10 or 5x7.

After getting a BTZS focusing cloth for my 4x5, I fell in love and got one big enough to use on the 8x10 and the 5x7 as well and got rid of all the others.

I swapped out all dim ground glasses with high-quality ones (that made a HUGE difference in how sharp my final negatives were...guess my eyes ain't as good as they used to be...and they used to suck.)

I got bags for equipment I used a lot that were easy to pack, access and organize.

I got a high-quality ball head for my 4x5/5x7 tripod. For 8x10, I still like my old Rationale 4 from Gitzo.

All of this has been done over the past three or four years, and not all at once. And right now, I've very happy with my shooting arsenal.

Racer X 69
5-Jan-2015, 11:43

I still have the full head of hair, and until a few years ago it reached a few inches below my waist. When I started driving a big truck, and found myself in Louisiana in July wrestling tarps over a load of airplane parts in the humidity I decided it was time for it to go.

So as soon as I returned home I washed it up and had Mrs. Racer braid it up real nice and cut it clean off at the nape of my neck, saving it for posterity. The hair is starting to get that distinguished grey at the temples look, which runs in the family. I can expect that this will be my "old guy look".

Mrs. Racer and I have also been together for decades. Surely she is not the svelte woman that caught my eye so many years ago, but she is still the most beautiful woman I know. Her hair was a delightful Norwegian Blonde, but these days is mostly grey. And generally she seems accepting of the changes to her form and is choosing to age gracefully.

Is it still as nice as in the photo?

Jac@stafford.net
5-Jan-2015, 17:41
I still have the full head of hair, and until a few years ago it reached a few inches below my waist. When I started driving a big truck, and found myself in Louisiana in July wrestling tarps over a load of airplane parts in the humidity I decided it was time for it to go.

So as soon as I returned home I washed it up and had Mrs. Racer braid it up real nice and cut it clean off at the nape of my neck, saving it for posterity. The hair is starting to get that distinguished grey at the temples look, which runs in the family. I can expect that this will be my "old guy look".

Mrs. Racer and I have also been together for decades. Surely she is not the svelte woman that caught my eye so many years ago, but she is still the most beautiful woman I know. Her hair was a delightful Norwegian Blonde, but these days is mostly grey. And generally she seems accepting of the changes to her form and is choosing to age gracefully.

Is it still as nice as in the photo?

No. It looks as good but the tires have rotted and it has been sitting on blocks four almost five years and the pistons are stuck. Aging has not been good for it or me,

Ari
6-Jan-2015, 09:26
The upgrades that I like the most are the ones that make photography easier and ergonomically more pleasing. I have lenses that I'm satisfied with and have settled on Tri-X for black and white and Ektar for color. Ample supplies are in the freezer. So my most recent changes that made me happy are as follows. I know you mentioned some of these, but I'll toss it in anyway.

I got rid of all my cheesy vinyl-clad cable releases that jam up all the time and replaced them with high-quality cloth-covered cable releases. For short ones, I found Pentax, Nikon AR-3 and Ebony to be the best. I now have one of the aforementioned in every single bag I own, so whatever I grab has a good cable release. (Not that many bags, so it's not as extreme as it sounds.)

Dumped the cheap focusing loupe and got a high-quality Fuji for one lens bag and a nice Peak 7x for the one that holds film holders.

I standardized on a single brand of 4x5 film holder so I don't fumble as much in the dark. I sold (or am selling) all the others. I standardized on Toyo because I got a bunch of those new for a good price. Now as I empty them, I sell the Riteways, Liscos and Fidelities. I can't afford to be so picky with 8x10 or 5x7.

After getting a BTZS focusing cloth for my 4x5, I fell in love and got one big enough to use on the 8x10 and the 5x7 as well and got rid of all the others.

I swapped out all dim ground glasses with high-quality ones (that made a HUGE difference in how sharp my final negatives were...guess my eyes ain't as good as they used to be...and they used to suck.)

I got bags for equipment I used a lot that were easy to pack, access and organize.

I got a high-quality ball head for my 4x5/5x7 tripod. For 8x10, I still like my old Rationale 4 from Gitzo.

All of this has been done over the past three or four years, and not all at once. And right now, I've very happy with my shooting arsenal.

This is one of those times I wish there were a "Like" button on the forum.
These are the best kinds of upgrades to make WRT gear.
Small, subtle but enormously effective.

DrTang
6-Jan-2015, 10:59
I upgrade anytime I find a better one

lens, tripod, cable release..whatever

I really don't have a specific list

sometimes I have to buy a whole estate (well..the photo part anyway) just to get those one or two things that are an upgrade of what I am using...maybe

sometimes after trying it..it's not an upgrade..so back to the old

this is why I have a ton of stuff on ebay

Liquid Artist
7-Jan-2015, 12:23
I want to upgrade to an 8x10 system, however my woman would not exactly like that and may point to the door.
Since she's already the top of the line model I want to keep her around for a while.

What I can and am allowed to do is get lens boards for the 7 lenses or so that I've bought and never mounted.
Setting up a darkroom may be possibly but she's not making it easy.

StoneNYC
7-Jan-2015, 13:01
I want to upgrade to an 8x10 system, however my woman would not exactly like that and may point to the door.
Since she's already the top of the line model I want to keep her around for a while.

What I can and am allowed to do is get lens boards for the 7 lenses or so that I've bought and never mounted.

You are mounting the wrong things... :whistling:

Good luck! Use those lenses man!

Racer X 69
11-Jan-2015, 12:21

Indeed, having a happy and harmonious home is paramount. With it will come the other things like the 8x10 and darkroom.

In time . . . . . . . .

Racer X 69
11-Jan-2015, 12:29
I had my 40th HS reunion last summer and there were so many women who were considered just kind of average back then who look really good know. I guess a life lived well makes a difference.

I too had my 40th HS reunion this past summer, and also found many of the ladies who were so-so then have blossomed into beautiful flowers. And then there are the ones who were great looking then and continue to be so.

Of course there were also the ones who were the lookers then and have not aged well . . . . . . . and clearly have had "work" done.

Yuk!

ThePhilosopher
16-Jan-2015, 20:58
I don't know if everyone will consider it an upgrade, but I'm moving from a cold light to a dichro head on my enlarger.

StoneNYC
16-Jan-2015, 21:35
This was my upgrade this year.

Most notably the Chamonix 8x10 to 4x5 reducing back

And a single 8x10 holder (more to come as I can afford it).

C. D. Keth
17-Jan-2015, 09:46
My upgrades are more like downgrades. I'm now down to two cameras that fulfill everything I want. I went to a gowland 4x5 with a 150mm g-claron. That plus a couple grafmatics, the two filters I ever use, meter and tripod make up a <10lb hiking and walking around town kit. The other camera is a fuji X100S digital rangefinder that almost never leaves my side.

Alan Gales
17-Jan-2015, 18:02
My upgrades are more like downgrades. I'm now down to two cameras that fulfill everything I want. I went to a gowland 4x5 with a 150mm g-claron. That plus a couple grafmatics, the two filters I ever use, meter and tripod make up a <10lb hiking and walking around town kit. The other camera is a fuji X100S digital rangefinder that almost never leaves my side.

Hi Chris! I own a Fujifilm X100s too. The little Fuji is terrific. I can't believe the skin tones I get and how well the little flash works for fill outdoors. I recently took some photos of my granddaughter who is very pale, her boyfriend who is a Native American and their baby daughter who's skin tone is in between her parents. All the skin tones turned out perfect!

Roger Thoms
17-Jan-2015, 19:15
Well not to do much upgrading of photo equipment, but I'm off work, and am going to up grade our Solar PV system on our house near Flagstaff AZ. Already have the new inverter and new batteries, will buy panels as soon as my tax return and vacation check arrives. I'll be building a new power shed to house the equipment. What this means photographically is several road trips to Flag, with plenty of photography. The cool thing to is that the inverter is a split phase model so I'll have 220V available just in case I get a big 8x10 enlarger. OK I know I'm dreaming a little bit since I don't have a darkroom out there yet. Never hurts to dream a little. My truck's in the shop getting a few broken things upgraded to fixed things. As soon as it's done I hit the road, Thursday, maybe Friday at the latest.

Roger

C. D. Keth
17-Jan-2015, 23:06
Hi Chris! I own a Fujifilm X100s too. The little Fuji is terrific. I can't believe the skin tones I get and how well the little flash works for fill outdoors. I recently took some photos of my granddaughter who is very pale, her boyfriend who is a Native American and their baby daughter who's skin tone is in between her parents. All the skin tones turned out perfect!

I'm still getting accustomed to it, getting my hands going to the right places and whatnot but it is a remarkable little camera. My only wish so far is that they used a lens with a "real" focus ring rather than the sort that spins forever. I like to zone focus for street photography and this doesn't really allow me to do that without looking through the viewfinder. Small gripe, really. I'll get used to it.

Alan Gales
18-Jan-2015, 00:00
I'm still getting accustomed to it, getting my hands going to the right places and whatnot but it is a remarkable little camera. My only wish so far is that they used a lens with a "real" focus ring rather than the sort that spins forever. I like to zone focus for street photography and this doesn't really allow me to do that without looking through the viewfinder. Small gripe, really. I'll get used to it.

Yeah, it's not great for manual focus. I use the autofocus. I know Frank Petronio had one but sold it. He said that he wanted to like it but he has huge hands and had trouble with the controls. I can understand that. If it was any smaller then I'd have problems. The Fujis are a bit quirky. I was in a restaurant shooting my mother-in-law's 80'th birthday party and my flash wouldn't work because I had the camera in silent mode. I quickly figured it out since that was the only change I had made before I left the house. I find that the more I shoot it the more comfortable I get and like the camera. It's so tiny and lightweight that you can take it anywhere and it prints nicely up to 11x14.

Kirk Gittings
18-Jan-2015, 00:58
https://scontent-a-lax.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/v/t1.0-9/10930859_10205771509596929_2429884327237978603_n.jpg?oh=08a3d1b8b6c9ac5f55fbb9e451cc8f36&oe=552BACE0

StoneNYC
18-Jan-2015, 01:42
https://scontent-a-lax.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/v/t1.0-9/10930859_10205771509596929_2429884327237978603_n.jpg?oh=08a3d1b8b6c9ac5f55fbb9e451cc8f36&oe=552BACE0

Well if that counts then this counts... Both 8x10

David Lobato
18-Jan-2015, 16:48
Kirk, good for you.

My 27 year old Gitzo tripod and Bogen 3047 head have wobbled excessively when shooting the 8x10. A little bit of play (with everything locked tight) in the center column and joints in the head amplifies considerably with the large dimensions of the Deardorff extended as little as several several inches, much less 14 -19 inches with two of my lenses. Went out today and was sorely reminded of the unwanted movement and wobble. I got home and immediately ordered a Ries Tripod and head. 2015 should be a steadier year for my LF cameras.