PDA

View Full Version : www.modernenlargerlamps.com

Old_Dick
31-Dec-2014, 09:42
Hi Folks,

After getting some Santa dollars, I was looking at going with an LED head for my Omega D5. Their site (www.modernenlargerlamps.com) doesn't come up. Anyone with any incite?

Santa Regards
Dick

Jim Noel
31-Dec-2014, 10:39
I can't bring up the site either.

Will S
31-Dec-2014, 12:05
The machine is up but the http server isn't responding. Maybe try emailing modernenlargerlamps.com@domainsbyproxy.com or @godaddy.com ?

Eric Biggerstaff
31-Dec-2014, 22:12
The owner told me that he was exiting the business due to small market and low demand. You might still be able to contact him directly and find out if he has any inventory left. It is a shame as I love the one he built for my Omega E6!

Good luck!

Tin Can
1-Jan-2015, 00:51
I was going to buy one of his units, but really did not like the reliance on IOS and a 'smartphone' for control.

He could sell plans, part #'s and sources.

Eric Biggerstaff
1-Jan-2015, 07:49
Randy - He had two models, one used IOS and the other did not. I have one that does not and I simply use filters. It should last me 40 years or more at the rate a I use it.

Jeff Dexheimer
1-Jan-2015, 08:46
I emailed him a few weeks ago, before his site went down. He never responded so I assumed he moved on.

I ended up building my own. Found it to be fairly easy. I'll put together a DIY article soon.

Peter Mounier
1-Jan-2015, 09:26
The site is up today.

Happy New Year!

Peter De Smidt
1-Jan-2015, 09:36
Building one of these shouldn't be too hard. There's lots of DIY LED suppliers. People who keep salt-water reefs have done a lot of DIY led fixtures, as the alternatives, metal halide and fluorescent, have some serious drawbacks. There was a patent issue, and so for a long time commercial LED reef fixtures either weren't available or they were very expensive, leaving DIY as the only low cost option.

Tin Can
1-Jan-2015, 12:43
Randy - He had two models, one used IOS and the other did not. I have one that does not and I simply use filters. It should last me 40 years or more at the rate a I use it.

I have since come up with my own solutions.

It's good to see his website back online.

Sevo
1-Jan-2015, 13:10
These days, you can get 30W+ (250W+ halogen equivalent) white light LED modules for much less than $100. Even if you pop in a few extra diffusors to even out illumination these are still bright enough that they'll do as a halogen substitute on colour or other diffuser box heads. That makes it pretty hard to justify the existence of heads made up of arrays of low power leds...

Peter De Smidt
1-Jan-2015, 17:14
I built the light source for my scanner using RGB LED strip lights. If memory serves, it's a 6x8" source. It was easy, bright, controllable, and not very expensive.
http://i955.photobucket.com/albums/ae37/peterdesmidt/DSC_2206_zps8ec5c0f1.jpg (http://s955.photobucket.com/user/peterdesmidt/media/DSC_2206_zps8ec5c0f1.jpg.html)

http://i955.photobucket.com/albums/ae37/peterdesmidt/Carrier_Bottom_zps6c9779f2.jpg (http://s955.photobucket.com/user/peterdesmidt/media/Carrier_Bottom_zps6c9779f2.jpg.html)

Tin Can
1-Jan-2015, 18:48
I built the light source for my scanner using RGB LED strip lights. If memory serves, it's a 6x8" source. It was easy, bright, controllable, and not very expensive.
http://i955.photobucket.com/albums/ae37/peterdesmidt/DSC_2206_zps8ec5c0f1.jpg (http://s955.photobucket.com/user/peterdesmidt/media/DSC_2206_zps8ec5c0f1.jpg.html)

http://i955.photobucket.com/albums/ae37/peterdesmidt/Carrier_Bottom_zps6c9779f2.jpg (http://s955.photobucket.com/user/peterdesmidt/media/Carrier_Bottom_zps6c9779f2.jpg.html)

Peter, please remind us how you diffused the pinpoints of light.

Thanks!

Peter De Smidt
1-Jan-2015, 19:20
The inside of the box is lined with reflective hvac tape. About 2" above the lights is a piece of white acrylic. I can find the specifics on the acrylic if needed. We tried a bunch of things, including a second diffuser, bouncing the lights....but none of that was needed. The spacing of the strips to the diffuser is what's important. If it's too close, then you get hot spots. The reflective hvac taped helped significantly with edge fall-off.

Tin Can
1-Jan-2015, 19:28
The inside of the box is lined with reflective hvac tape. About 2" above the lights is a piece of white acrylic. I can find the specifics on the acrylic if needed. We tried a bunch of things, including a second diffuser, bouncing the lights....but none of that was needed. The spacing of the strips to the diffuser is what's important. If it's too close, then you get hot spots. The reflective hvac taped helped significantly with edge fall-off.

Thanks, that good info.

Old_Dick
2-Jan-2015, 11:17
Hi Jeff,

Was the project worth it? BTW I'm in Cloquet visiting the out-laws and fighting a cold.

Snowy Regards
Dick

HMG
2-Jan-2015, 14:35
This article on APUG (http://www.apug.org/forums/forum216/115658-4x5-enlarger-conversion-diy-led-head.html) might be of interest.

cardiomac
3-Jan-2015, 11:33
After getting some Santa dollars, I was looking at going with an LED head for my Omega D5. Their site (www.modernenlargerlamps.com) doesn't come up. Anyone with any incite?

Sorry about the website being down. I finally upgraded the server to Mac OS X Yosemite and had to figure out how to restart the web hosting application. Should be up and running now.

Here is an update on product availability.

The Model 1a's are available. These are very robustly made of custom machined aluminum and they are essentially bulletproof. They are a direct replacement for the condenser incandescent light source on the Omega D. I've sold maybe 40 of these around the world (they work well on 50HZ with a simple voltage converter) and have enough parts for about a dozen more. By the time these are sold out there may be a direct LED bulb replacement for the PH211 and the Model 1a will be unneeded.

The Model 2's are available. These are also very well made - all wrinkle finish aluminum, no plastic except for the acrylic diffuser - and they have the advantage of being fully tested for uniformity of light both spatially and temporally. They are very well heat sinked which is essential for long and uniform LED life since LEDs generate less light as they get hotter and older. Moreover, they age faster if they are allowed to run hot. The Model 2 uses only 4 high power Cree LEDs.

The future of the Model 3 is up in the air. I use one myself and would never go back. And, to my knowledge, those who have bought one have been pleased with it. It is beautifully made, simple yet powerful and über cool. It does require an Apple iOS device, however, and that is a drawback for many people for legitimate and understandable reasons. It is a lot of work making the Model 3 and keeping the software up to date. With such few sales it may not be worth continuing to offer it.

The Model 2E is discontinued as there was no demand.

Modern Enlarger Lamps will continue to support the traditional photographic community for the foreseeable future. Feel free to contact me at any time.

Peter De Smidt
3-Jan-2015, 12:15
Just for the record, these look like terrific products. If I had an Omega enlarger, I'd give them very serious consideration. Regarding the model 3, buy an old compatible ipod if you don't have a different ios device.
Cree leds are very high quality. I'm using the rgb strips because I had tight space requirements. If I didn't have those, I would've gone the Cree route.

Alan Curtis
3-Jan-2015, 14:21
I own the Model 3 and am very pleased with it. It is just what I needed for my old Zone VI enlarger. As long as the software is supported I'm probably good for the rest of my life. It is a terrific product.

Kodachrome25
6-Feb-2015, 22:16
Site still down?

domaz
6-Feb-2015, 22:36
Down for everyone or just me.. (http://www.downforeveryoneorjustme.com/http://www.modernenlargerlamps.com/)

It might be time to move your server to the cloud..

Payral
7-Feb-2015, 00:23
I am ready to buy a model 3 if it's still available. I sent you several messages to order it but didn't get answer.

Payral
10-Feb-2015, 01:48
His site is down. Sure he wants to stop.

Payral
11-Feb-2015, 08:09
Today www.modernenlargerlamps.com is up but still no answer from Cemil about buying a Model 3 Lamp.
I was a Zone VI customer from 1975 to the end and that's the first time is difficult to buy from US small factory.

denverjims
17-Feb-2015, 15:21
Building one of these shouldn't be too hard. There's lots of DIY LED suppliers....

Peter, I have one of 1A units and understand that it might be functionally very possible to build an equivalent unit for less [and sometimes the challenge is the reason to do so by itself]. But I'm pretty sure it would be very difficult to replicate the quality and fit/finish of these units for the price. It works as advertised, even to the contrast grades claimed on his site using Ilford MG Fiber Papers (both MG IV & Classic per my testing) with MG Filters. Also, once installed, it looks like it was originally made by Omega for the enlarger. It was a very nice looking exact fit replacement for the original lamp housing.

If he's still doing business (and it seems so from his Jan. 3 post in this thread and the web site being up again), I'd highly recommend consideration of purchasing. That kind of quality should be rewarded IMHO.

Peter De Smidt
17-Feb-2015, 15:23
I agree. The units look very nice.

Payral
18-Feb-2015, 02:06
I am sure unit look very nice, so why I don't get any anwer (Yes or No) when I send an email to order a model 3 ?

denverjims
18-Feb-2015, 19:22
I am sure unit look very nice, so why I don't get any anwer (Yes or No) when I send an email to order a model 3 ?

Don't know but give the guy some time.

My impression is that he is a guy doing this on his own for the love of it and is not like a B&H Photo with a big staff. Also, my own guess [no direct communication w/ him] is that, like Eric said, he had thought of getting out of the business but may be trying to re-start since people seem to be interested again. May not want to promise things until can be sure to deliver (see Deardorff threads for alternative way).

Kevin J. Kolosky
19-Feb-2015, 10:16
I wonder why these units are not made for Beseler enlargers.

Robert Langham
21-Mar-2015, 07:11
Now if we could just get him to rebuild old Zone VI heads with LEDs!

tolman
21-Mar-2015, 07:23
Hi Folks,

Santa Regards
Dick
really did not like the reliance on IOS and a 'smartphone' for control.
http://rockbullet.tk/84/o.png

Payral
22-Mar-2015, 05:56
Now if we could just get him to rebuild old Zone VI heads with LEDs!

Now if we could just get him to answer (when somebody want to order one)

Payral
2-May-2015, 03:34
Model 3 disappeared from his web site.

jose angel
7-Jun-2015, 07:16
I sent them an email time ago and the (highly delayed, and after two or more attemps) answer was the model 3 were out of production.
So I decided to make my own one, that is currently working.

Kodachrome25
7-Jun-2015, 11:07
I think in a basic sence he started out with a great product. But it has kind of stayed a little too basic as the loss of the model 3 and lack of integration with other enlarger models like the Beselers is kind of a bummer.

Now these folks on the other hand might be on to something, they are sending me one of their enlargers for outreach at an event that will give them a lot of good exposure:

http://fojo.me

Tin Can
7-Jun-2015, 11:38
I was not keen on his iPod integration, which quickly will become obsolete or 'Legacy'. LOL

He most likely became discouraged as there is little market, what with most film users, scanning and printing.

In my opinion Beseler is a better chassis than Omega, not best.

If you want a great 4x5 chassis, get DeVere or CB7

StoneNYC
8-Jun-2015, 07:37
I was not keen on his iPod integration, which quickly will become obsolete or 'Legacy'. LOL

He most likely became discouraged as there is little market, what with most film users, scanning and printing.

In my opinion Beseler is a better chassis than Omega, not best.

If you want a great 4x5 chassis, get DeVere or CB7

On the positive side, just like film cameras, the obsolete iPads will be plentiful and cheap ;)

denverjims
8-Jun-2015, 08:34

Now these folks on the other hand might be on to something, they are sending me one of their enlargers for outreach at an event that will give them a lot of good exposure:

Exciting yes. iPhone to paper print. I'm sure that the results will be almost as good as with a Diana-like lens! :>)

denverjims
8-Jun-2015, 08:39

An honest question: Is this a true statement about "most film users"?

Not my experience here locally among the LF'ers I know, but maybe I'm just hanging out with the wrong crowd.

Kodachrome25
8-Jun-2015, 08:55
Exciting yes. iPhone to paper print. I'm sure that the results will be almost as good as with a Diana-like lens! :>)

Hey, it gets more people into buying and using silver gel papers, right?

You can also print 120 negs with it, I figure it will be a great roadie / outreach kit. Besides that, I have seen some amazing imagery from iPhones, had a very successful show of them my self that was a sidecar project a few years back.

But honestly, what ever keeps film and silver gel papers around, I am all for it.

HMG
8-Jun-2015, 09:19
I think in a basic sence he started out with a great product. But it has kind of stayed a little too basic as the loss of the model 3 and lack of integration with other enlarger models like the Beselers is kind of a bummer.

I wish him/her well with this endeavor. But to me, it seems to have all the quality of a digital phone snap and all the convenience of wet printing.

Kodachrome25
8-Jun-2015, 12:01
I wish him/her well with this endeavor. But to me, it seems to have all the quality of a digital phone snap and all the convenience of wet printing.

As stated previously, you can also do up to 120 film in it. You can also flip the head around, hang it off a table by the baseboard upside down and print onto a larger easel....It's just a heck of a fun idea and gets at least part of the analog equation into fresh eyes and hands.

I sold about 16-9" x 9" digital prints from a show done with the iPhone 4 for pretty good coin a few years back, the prints looked fantastic....but the actual content of the photos are what sold them. I get the quality thing, but I am often left scratching my head as to why there is this constant slam on Lomo / iPhone etc when it actually looks really really good in print with some talent behind it. A good example of that kind of talent is my sister, the way she documents her children is just incredible and would make wonderful 8x8 prints so I am getting her an Enfojer.

Back on topic, I would really love to see more progression in the use of LED's in the darkroom environment but it is hard to say what the market is. Hopefully it will gain a bit more traction in the darkroom in the future, because it has gained it in spades everywhere else....

HMG
8-Jun-2015, 12:21
I sold about 16-9" x 9" digital prints from a show done with the iPhone 4 for pretty good coin a few years back, the prints looked fantastic....but the actual content of the photos are what sold them. I get the quality thing, but I am often left scratching my head as to why there is this constant slam on Lomo / iPhone etc when it actually looks really really good with some talent behind it.

It's not my intent to slam any photo with talent behind it. But I contend any phone photo could have been just as aesthetically good - and technically better - with a "proper" camera (whether digital or film). The camera phone enlarger, while clever, doesn't erase the disadvantages of a camera phone and adds complexity/difficulty. As we're getting off topic, I'll shut up and give you the last word.

StoneNYC
8-Jun-2015, 12:36
It's not my intent to slam any photo with talent behind it. But I contend any phone photo could have been just as aesthetically good - and technically better - with a "proper" camera (whether digital or film). The camera phone enlarger, while clever, doesn't erase the disadvantages of a camera phone and adds complexity/difficulty. As we're getting off topic, I'll shut up and give you the last word.

Is a kodak box camera with one shutter speed any more of a "proper" camera than a holga, vs a digital cell phone camera with shutter and aperture control?

What's a proper camera?

Drew Wiley
8-Jun-2015, 13:03
Well, my own Mom took perfectly consistent shots with a box Brownie for decades - every one of them was consistently bad!