PDA

View Full Version : Schneider Super Angulon 90mm f/8 question

andred2809
29-Dec-2014, 14:10
Hi Folks,

quick brain pick if I can.

It seems Im getting addicted to LF, my current and only lens being a 135m fujinon, Im now needing something wider to better suit my tastes, im looking at 90mm, there are loads of used SCHEINDER 90mm F8 SUPER ANGULON available in the UK for rough, just wondering what your thoughts are on these?

The only photography I do is landscapes, sunrise/sunsets etc. With it being F8 am I limited to the amount of light I can get into the lens for focusinng? my 135mm is 5.6 though I noticed the aparture actually opens slightly wider than this when fully open, will this be the same for the f8 90mm? or for low light am I better looking for f5.6?

this is the one ive got my finger on the 'offer button' - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SCHEINDER-90mm-F8-SUPER-ANGULON-LARGE-FORMAT-LENS-/141503847753?pt=UK_Lenses_Filters_Lenses&hash=item20f2495d49

Cheers Andy.

Dan Fromm
29-Dec-2014, 14:50
I live with a couple of f/14 wide angle lenses and with f/9 process lenses. You should be able to live with f/8 for focusing and composing.

The ebay listing you pointed to is for a late lens in a Copal #0 shutter. Older ones are in Compur #00 shutters that lack time exposure ("T") and press focus. Focusing one of them wants a locking cable release and the shutter set to "B."

I have no idea how much they typically go for in the UK. keh.com seems to ask less for ones in Copal.

andred2809
29-Dec-2014, 14:55
I live with a couple of f/14 wide angle lenses and with f/9 process lenses. You should be able to live with f/8 for focusing and composing.

The ebay listing you pointed to is for a late lens in a Copal #0 shutter. Older ones are in Compur #00 shutters that lack time exposure ("T") and press focus. Focusing one of them wants a locking cable release and the shutter set to "B."

I have no idea how much they typically go for in the UK. keh.com seems to ask less for ones in Copal.

Cheers Dan, just to confirm, the compur its the #00 that requires the csble realease and bulb mode, the #0 I just use as normal? which I am guessing is a preferred choice.

Dan Fromm
29-Dec-2014, 15:54
Right, the Copal #0 has all of the modern conveniences.

andred2809
29-Dec-2014, 16:00
OK cheers pal.

another question if anyone knows, I use a Wista 45D, will I need a recessed board to use a 90mm lens on it? will this be a standard linhof type board?

diversey
29-Dec-2014, 17:58
The lens fits on linhof type board (98x96mm) and it works fine on my Tachihara 4x5.

jriosa
5-Jan-2015, 22:10
Personally I would hold out for a 5.6. It would give you better focusing/composing in the situation where you have a foreground image in shadow/backlit than an 8. Both my wa lenses are 6.3, and with my fifty plus aging eyes there is a big diff. Second, you will have better coverage with the 5.6, so depending on how much movement you use you may appreciate that, though the 8 is not onerously restricted, like you would see in a 65. If you do big sweeping kneecap press with not mooch in foreground the 8 is just fine. If your compositions have more fore to infinity stuff going on, you will be happier with a wider aperture for composing.
Neither of the options require a recessed lb.

Cor
6-Jan-2015, 03:59
Be aware that the f5.6 version is bigger, heavier, and possible larger back diameter of the lens elements (ie might not fit through the front of the Wista, don't know that for sure, it can be a problem with a Technika). Scroll down this page: http://www.largeformatphotography.info/lenses-primer/ to see a comparison between a 90mm f5.6 and f8 lens (granted: no Schneider lenses though, but you get the idea).

Good luck

Best

Cor

Ps I have the f8 90mm SA, not trouble with focusing, but I am glad that my 65mm SA is f5.6, it's to me a light/dim as my f8 90mm SA (unscientific comparison)

Pete Watkins
6-Jan-2015, 05:21
I use one on my Wista 45DX with no problems. You won't need a recessed lensboard. Mine is the f9 version, no focusing problems either.
Pete.

Jody_S
6-Jan-2015, 07:37
The 90/8 SA is a fine lens, it has been my default 4x5 wide angle for years. Especially if cost is a factor, I do not recommend holding out for a 90/5.6, if you plan on using it for landscapes. You should have no trouble focusing the f8, and it is small and light enough to carry while backpacking. As you have seen, there is a glut of them on the market and you can buy one for ridiculously low prices, but this is not a reflection of the quality of the lens itself, which is superb.

djdister
6-Jan-2015, 11:50
What others have said -- grab that 90mm f/8 SA and give it a whirl. I don't think you will feel compelled to run out and spend more just for the f/5.6 version...

andred2809
6-Jan-2015, 14:38
Thanks for the feedback folks, I actually ended up buying a Nikkor 90mm f4.5, came up on ebay, kept a close eye on it and snapped it up for £275... which I think is a bargain? used it at the weekend, just waiting on lab sending back 2 hi-res scans.

Old-N-Feeble
6-Jan-2015, 15:24
The Nikkor-SW 90mm lenses are outstanding... both versions.