PDA

View Full Version : Backpack recommendation for 4x5 kit

walbergb
28-Dec-2014, 20:33
Which backpack would you recommend for a 4x5 kit: Shen-Hao PTB45, 3 lenses on lens boards (90, 150, & 300T), spotmeter, compendium, up to 6 film holders, darkcloth, tripod, and a few smaller accessories. I don't see myself expanding beyond this kit any time soon.

I do a lot of day hiking/biking/ snowshoeing all year round. I have an older Lowepro Trekker AW, but it is too big; comfortable, but overkill. I also have an older Lowepro SlingShot 300. It's a bit too small and the sling back style isn't conducive to all day hiking/biking. I considered the Photobackpack P3, but I think it is too big, also.

Ari
28-Dec-2014, 20:57
Have a look at a Lowepro Flipside 400; mine carried a Wista RF, three lenses and a number of Grafmatics.
It's not too large a pack, cleverly made, and holds a surprising amount of gear.
It's also quite comfortable to carry all day on your back.
I use it now to carry 8x10 film holders, and it can fit 8 of them inside the main compartment.

Light Guru
28-Dec-2014, 21:31
I just use a regular backpack I bought at REI.

The camera I keep in a diy badder holder made from a camping sleeping foam mat, but you may also be able to keep squeeze your camera into a neoprene laptop sleeve. My 3 lenses are each wrapped with some padding and then put into a stuff sack. I then have another smaller stuff sack that holds odds and ends like lens cleaning stuff, cokin filter holder and rings that fit each of my lenses etc. my spot meeter just gets wrapped in my dark cloth. I also have room for film holders, filters small first aid kit and knee pads (probably the best accessory a landscape photographer can have)

A pack from REI is also nice because I was able to get one with a breathable back, and the wast and shoulder straps are more comfortable then any photo backpack I have ever tried.

Jeff Dexheimer
28-Dec-2014, 21:51
I have a very similar kit. PTB 4x5 with 5 lenses and many similar accessories. I just bought a Photobackpacker P3 complete with cases for my camera and lenses. Personally, I love it. Everything stores neatly in the pack. If you use the coupon code in the "Photobackpacker is retiring" thread, you can buy a system for less than you might expect.

Kirk Gittings
28-Dec-2014, 21:56
I have a very similar kit. PTB 4x5 with 5 lenses and many similar accessories. I just bought a Photobackpacker P3 complete with cases for my camera and lenses. Personally, I love it. Everything stores neatly in the pack. If you use the coupon code in the "Photobackpacker is retiring" thread, you can buy a system for less than you might expect.

ditto

walbergb
28-Dec-2014, 22:01
Jeff & Kirk,
Do you find you have a lot of extra space, especially if you take away two lenses?

Kirk Gittings
28-Dec-2014, 22:10
As mine is set up for 5 lenses and the rest similar to yours, with a camera box, a PBP 3 lens case and a Gnass 3 lens case....if I removed two lenses and their 3X case it would leave me with a small empty space of about 5"w x 10"l x 6"h which could easily accept my lunch, jacket etc or be left empty. I don't see it as any issue.

David Karp
28-Dec-2014, 22:46
Agreed on the Photobackpacker.

Jeff Dexheimer
28-Dec-2014, 23:30
If I took out 2 lenses I would not be at all troubled by the extra space. Like Kirk mentioned, it would give me room for something like a lunch or an extra layer or whatever. The main benifits I see to the PBP system is the excellent protection of my gear and, above all, comfort while on my back. Before buying, I used an REI day pack, a $350 Lowe pro pack that was given to me, a Kelty backpack and a cheap school book backpack. There is no comparison, PBP wins hands down. Once PBP has sold his inventory and fully retired, I wouldn't sell my backpack for less than $10,000 because I wouldn't be able to replace it (Ok, maybe $5k, but you get the point).

Kodachrome25
29-Dec-2014, 00:16
Yeah....read that entire Photobackpacker retirement thread, lots of input and real world examples.

I went all out this Summer and upgraded my entire carry system for all three formats which consists of 12 cameras and 36 lenses. I have a very comprehensive / future proof P3 system and an Fstop Tilopa BC with the small and medium ICU's, the latter for ski mountaineering outings. While on a trip on the road for a month that included over two weeks in Death Valley, I had both pack systems. I never used the Fstop pack because the Photobackpacker was working so good, insanely comfortable no matter the weight.

For hiking, snowshoeing, the P3 wins hands down, for climbing or skiing, the Tilopa BC is not to be beat.

Deval
29-Dec-2014, 04:02
F64

Peter Lewin
29-Dec-2014, 08:02
No point in fighting all of our recommendations for the Photobackpacker kit :)! I carry a CanhamDLC (4x5), three lenses, PBP Cascade film holder (6 holders), plus meter, cloth, various little tools etc., in the older Redwing, and having a little (but not much) extra space isn't an issue. I think my set-up is similar to yours in size and weight, and I've been very happy with the PBP pack and cases for everything from local excursions, to some hiking, and even a trip to Europe.

John Kasaian
29-Dec-2014, 08:35
I've a Jansport Equinox dedicated to a 5x7 Speed Graphic for the past five years. No complaints.

Regular Rod
29-Dec-2014, 10:32
+1 for the Photobackpacker system. Well organised, protective, light and perfect position whilst carrying.

RR

Kodachrome25
29-Dec-2014, 12:17
F64

Pass due to diffraction?

Drew Wiley
29-Dec-2014, 16:53
Good ole external frame backpacks - the real deal. I pick up old vintage Kelty and Camp Trails packs opportunistically, sometimes completely unused at a garage
sale or whatever. They just don't make them that good anymore. People paid over two hundred bucks apiece for these things then decided to cancel their once in a life backpack trip, then find these things in some closet and sell then off for five or ten or twenty bucks. But now I've got enough for spare parts for the duration, since I'm only going to get more rickety as arthritis progresses. Forget dedicated camera packs with all their heavy, bulky, redundant foam packing. Just use plastic bags and bubble wrap.

Kodachrome25
29-Dec-2014, 17:09
Forget dedicated camera packs with all their heavy, bulky, redundant foam packing. Just use plastic bags and bubble wrap.

Or....just follow the lead of some professional users in the recommendation above in using Photobackpacker or Fstop packs which don't come close to the heavy and bulky category you are referring to. Times have finally changed for the better Drew, trust me on this one....

Kirk Gittings
29-Dec-2014, 17:15
Or....just follow the lead of some professional users in the recommendation above in using Photobackpacker or Fstop packs which don't come close to the heavy and bulky category you are referring to. Times have finally changed for the better Drew, trust me on this one....

ditto

Drew Wiley
29-Dec-2014, 17:20
Times have indeed changed. Stuff has gotten flimsy, esp once it went to Chinese mfg. I carry my 4x5's gear PLUS up to two weeks of backpacking supplies at a time in these things, and have for literally thousands of miles of foot travel over all kinds of terrain. Try that with a dedicated camera pack, or even a serious
8x10 system and see how much of a spine you've got left at the end of the day. No, sorry, I don't trust you on this one. Walk a thousand miles in my boots and you'll see why. And no again, these real packs are probably lighter to begin with. And no, why would I trust some "professional" user, whatever that means.
I've seen enough overpriced, overstuffed "professional" camera packs to know the difference. They don't look very versatile to me.

Drew Wiley
29-Dec-2014, 17:25
... and yes, I am looking for a new wooden shaft for my ice axe too. ... not that I'm claiming that it's going to be stronger than my fiberglass-handled Stubai (it
obviously wasn't)... but style counts for something, at least while there are still a few glaciers left. After they thaw out, I'll probably find my original ash handle.

Kodachrome25
29-Dec-2014, 18:55
LOL....OK Drew, you are just too Brotastic of a Bro for us mere mortals, I cry uncle.

When I ordered my P3 kit, I got spare backer boards custom cut for my non-photo Osprey multi-day packs, because of course a dedicated photo pack is going to fall short in that department. These backer boards have already been tested with light 4x5 kits on a couple of overnight jaunts, they just work...it's my day job Broham, it works for me.

But the P3 pack...it's the only pack I have done 10+ miles at high elevation with 30+ pounds of gear and felt like mommy gave me hugs all day when I take the thing off, seriously. I agree with some of what you have written, but you have dozens of folks who find the Photobackpacker stuff to be in another league, we are not dreaming Broseph.....really.

Richard Johnson
29-Dec-2014, 20:22
When Drew wants to go skiing he looks for a tall, straight Ash, knaws it down with his teeth, and hones a pair of skis with his jackknife. None of that bogus fiberglass....

Ari
29-Dec-2014, 20:56
Shen-Hao PTB45, 3 lenses on lens boards (90, 150, & 300T), spotmeter, compendium, up to 6 film holders, darkcloth, tripod, and a few smaller accessories. I don't see myself expanding beyond this kit any time soon.

I do a lot of day hiking/biking/ snowshoeing all year round. I have an older Lowepro Trekker AW, but it is too big; comfortable, but overkill. I also have an older Lowepro SlingShot 300. It's a bit too small and the sling back style isn't conducive to all day hiking/biking. I considered the Photobackpack P3, but I think it is too big, also.

The PBP system and P3 pack do sound terrific, but the OP says he doesn't need that big a pack, and repeats it. He also doesn't think his kit will get any larger in the foreseeable future.
The P3 and other serious backpacks sound like overkill for his needs.

Kodachrome25
29-Dec-2014, 21:00
The PBP system and P3 pack do sound terrific, but the OP says he doesn't need that big a pack, and repeats it. He also doesn't think his kit will get any larger in the foreseeable future.
The P3 and other serious backpacks sound like overkill for his needs.

That's the thing, it is not *that* big, especially for longer hikes or snowshoeing in which you had damn well better be bringing things like extra layers, plenty of water, etc. I think most of us are big on recommending it because it is kind of now or never. An F-stop Loka or Tilopa BC would be snazzy too....

Ari
29-Dec-2014, 21:08
That's the thing, it is not *that* big, especially for longer hikes or snowshoeing in which you had damn well better be bringing things like extra layers, plenty of water, etc. I think most of us are big on recommending it because it is kind of now or never.

All good points; I overlooked the bit about snowshoeing.

HMG
29-Dec-2014, 22:24
When Drew wants to go skiing he looks for a tall, straight Ash, knaws it down with his teeth, and hones a pair of skis with his jackknife. None of that bogus fiberglass....

Regardless of gnawing ash trees with his teeth, he does have a point. Those old, out-of-favor external frames were good for heavy loads over long distances. They went out-of-favor because they were relatively heavy while typical backpack loads were getting lighter. And yes, some of the materials used for internal frames got better.

Personally, I wouldn't do the bubble wrap routine but if I had my gear in a hard case like a Pelican, I'd lash that to a frame with a shelf. In fact, I keep a old Boy Scout frame for that purpose.

Not knocking the PBP models; I've heard nothing but good things about them. Frankly, given what's been said about them, I find it odd that he didn't sell the business rather than shut it down.

Hans Berkhout
30-Dec-2014, 07:00
I'm very pleased with Mountainsmith Phantom, 40 liters: http://mountainsmith.com/index.php/products/all-backpacks/phantom-40.html

Gnass for lenses, PTB camera case, photo vest, extra clothing, food etc.

I had D rings sewn on to attach tripod on top. Pack is very lightweight, excellent carrying system. Plenty of storage pockets.

Richard Johnson
30-Dec-2014, 08:33
Well seriously I liked the PBP guy as a person and his products are first rate but that level of organization only works well for someone who carries a lot of lenses and gadgets... but actually wastes a lot of space if you have a simple kit with only one or two lenses. Personally I use a metal field camera that folds up with a lens inside and a secure metal folding focusing hood for the ground glass... so I don't need an additional padded case, it is faster and just as well to wrap the camera in the dark cloth if I remember to do anything at all. A Tupperware container effectively holds my other lenses just as well as a purpose built case and the holders go into a dedicated case that can also hang from my belt or off the tripod. All the other junk - meters, loupe, gadgets, fit into organizer pockets or even my pants pockets while I'm shooting. As a "system" this means I can toss it into whatever works at the time, whether it's a larger backpack, a daypack, or a shoulder bag.

It's just me quirks but I think going out with more than a couple of lenses seems kind of dweebish, like you're making up for shortcomings by buying gear. The biggest part of learning to pack is figuring out what you don't need.

Drew Bedo
30-Dec-2014, 09:06
I do not do much in the way of hiking. This August we went to Yellostone and pretty much stayed on the boardwalks. My Little Zone VI, three lenses and 12 film holders were packed into an older model LowePro Magnum 35. Its a shoulder bag and works well for a short trip from the car.

However: I am transitioning my gear into PhotoBackpacker boxes. The plan is to get it all into a bag with both wheels and shoulder straps—either a photo bag or lower profile luggage.

Drew Wiley
30-Dec-2014, 09:23
OK .... Here's my more "dayhike" rationale: I use these packs in a modular fashion. A traditional frame pack is like a well-supported box designed for carrying
heavy loads comfortably. I can put my Norma in there complete with 28 inches of rail and bellows all assembled, even with the compendium and any lens I choose in place, simply pull the thing out and plop it on the Ries, pop a lens cap and extend the bellows. Fast. Secure. EXtra gear is in side pouches, along with extra lenses, each separately accessible, quickly, and weatherproofed. Filmholder boxes can either be put on each side of the compressed bellows or below the whole assembly, well protected. In the mtns I simply use my down jacket as a cushion and insulation for the whole business. Then there is still a substantial compartment below for outerwear, food and water, plus a frame to strap things like a sleeping bag or tent to for overniters. Or when hiking with my 8x10 and bigger Ries, a frame pack is something relatively inherently shaped, to strap everything to. It really works well, though for airline travel or longer treks I do resort to a little 4x5 Ebony folder. But the Norma is much more convenient and versatile otherwise - great for long lens work, which I'm into.

Drew Wiley
30-Dec-2014, 09:35
... Oh, yeah, and I did do a few winter backpacks with Sinar gear, even the 8x10 once, and everything fit, though I'm more comfortable moving around on snowshoes than skis, esp when it comes to trying to compose on rocks or whatever up close. Skis are kinda hard to maneuver with using a big camera. I'm not
much of a skier anyway, and did these trips with my nephew, who is expert. At that time he was working for North Face, who was also sponsoring some of his
climbing expeditions, and he bought one of those first internal-frame teardrop packs. North Face still makes one of the best and most expensive of these. Of course, with these you kinda gotta dig things out, top to bottom, while my traditional Kelty pack allows go to access things easier. So we decided to do a full south to north off-trail "high route" up the Kern, scrambling ridges over 13000 ft etc. Pretty strenuous, but lots of solitude, then we could gun out way back out on the Muir Trail on the return trip. I carried my Sinar F system back then. But he arranged his stuff so that, other than jacket etc, he'd dig down into the pack
sequentially, during the first week. So maybe six days out we finally we camping in the upper reaches of the Kern, slightly below Mt Tyndale, and he encounters
a Duraflame log in the bottom of the pack - a nice extra ten pounds of load! Obviously he was having a fit and knew who did it. I simply replied that we might
need to campfire somewhere. He didn't say anything more. So the next day I hauled that Sinar clear up some peak, arrived back in camp exhausted and started
to crawl in my sleeping bag.... which was full of sticky, pitchy whitebark pine cones.

Kodachrome25
30-Dec-2014, 10:28
Which backpack would you recommend for a 4x5 kit: Shen-Hao PTB45, 3 lenses on lens boards (90, 150, & 300T), spotmeter, compendium, up to 6 film holders, darkcloth, tripod, and a few smaller accessories. I don't see myself expanding beyond this kit any time soon.

Going back to this, I used a Lowepro 15L flipside sport for about two years, really great pack for exactly what you are talking about above and it is fairly inexpensive. It's deeper than most so you can put the camera in longest direction. It also has a section for a camelbak bladder. But it is not big on fit or support, I'd cap it at a kit no larger than you describe above.

What you cite above is the smallest kit I can get away with in LF because it is always bound to a tripod and that makes composing really great shots more challenging to me. My average kit is 5 lenses, at least 6 holders and a 6x12 back, I don't want any excuses for not getting the shot, I can't afford it.

The recurring theme I keep reading here in regards to packs like the P3 wasting space on a smaller kit is that there is no mention of using that extra room for what really matters, spare layers of clothing, food and water. The lack of dedicated space for that in other packs has been a major detriment to hang time in the field. The P3 and associated cases keeps the gear from swimming among spare socks, beanies, gloves, micro puff layers, etc.

And above all, it is far more comfortable to haul for lots of miles. The FStop stuff comes in second, the Tilopa BC is probably the best of all worlds, fit, capacity and room for things that are more important than camera gear.

To each his own but when I am out, I want to produce mind blowing work and that requires time in the field, long hours across long miles to places people simply do not bother to explore. The gear I listed makes that happen for me.

I think at this point you have lots of insights, none of them are best, worst right or wrong, just get the system going that meets your needs and make the images that you want.

Tons of snow on the slopes right now, I am headed out the door with a Lowe Pro Flipside 10L loaded with a Mamiya 6, 50, 75 and 150mm lenses, Tmax 400, Nikon D750 with a 24-120. See ya' next year!

Drew Wiley
30-Dec-2014, 10:42
Well I did that long-mileage, move fast thing back in my youth. Lucky I didn't freeze to death somewhere. Now I prefer to be a self-enclosed motorhome or my
own pack mule or whatever. Got all my gear and photo supplies with me wherever, ready for just about any kind of weather. Yeah, as I get older I am more conscious of weight, so do own things like carbon-fiber tripods and roll-film backs for when they are necessary, and a lightwt tent as well as a true expedition
quality one, for ordinary summer use. But the fact is, I'll never be a 45-year old teenager again, hauling 90 lb packs twenty miles a day, and will be pretty happy if I can still backpack with a 4x5 thru my 70's. We'll see. But for the moment, I just like everything there in the pack. Don't want to fuss around repacking things for every outing. I could go hypothermic during a dayhike here on the coast just as easily as in the mtns, or twist an ankle just as easily. And there are a few people still alive probably because I did have a big pack and happened to be carrying an extra jacket when they did were naively out for a day hike unprepared for a sudden change in the weather. It takes some strategy to die old and stubborn. But for an afternoon with MF gear, I just carry a little shoulder
bag, the smaller Ries over my shoulder like a rifle, my raincoat in a little belt pack, and a thermos of hot coffee on my belt. Same with Nikon. But who on earth
goes around with a classic 60's Norma without a classic 60's pack?

John Kasaian
30-Dec-2014, 11:05
I sure miss my pack mule! We've got one old mare left in the pasture as it is, but she can't go high up any more due to her age. My pack saddles were all mule "Tehama" trees except for one Decker which I sold off long ago, but I do have an old horse "Humane" tree that needs rigging. Leon at Carmel Saddlery made all my gear. The Parker Ranch in Hawaii used to send a shipment of saddles to Carmel every year for repairs.
Nothing smells better than real saddle shop! It was a sad when it closed it's doors after something like 100 years. Lots of lost History.

Kirk Gittings
30-Dec-2014, 13:43
As I narrowed in on subject matter that truly interests me over the years (rather than what people expect you to use a LF camera for) both the gear I carry and the places I hike to have become more targeted. After years in my thirties of carrying around LF gear like Drew's in an external pack frame remote locations AND making preciously few meaningful images I realized I neither cared much for "natural" landscape (photographically) and was rarely able to get there for what I considered the right (expressive) light. So the silverback male approach to heroic excursions deep into the wild with tons of equipment went to the wayside in favor of a kit that was light, easy on my back and shoulders and with everything quickly accessible. Its not unusual for me to scout a site and POV then revisit it dozens of times over decades till I get the light I want.

So I am on my second generation of PBP gear and they have served me far better than what I used previously including Lowe, Tenba, f64 and non-photo offerings from leading manufacturers. Six miles is about my limit these ays with 30 lbs of gear-4x5 camera, 5 lenses, tripod, a dozen film holders plus all the other doodads necessary.

FWIW my LF gear is always in the PBP pack even when I am working from the truck. I don't just use it when hiking. It is my ownly LF case/bag. It is the best combination of protection, light weight and ease of access I have come across.

Drew Wiley
30-Dec-2014, 14:32
Well, I hike for the hike itself - the experience of the trip. Maybe I have some shooting opportunities in mind, more often, I'm opportunistic. The LF gear is there,
with me, but in some cases, is never even unpacked. I've already got plenty of negs and chrome to work from, so unless something offers me a distinct new niche, no need to shoot it. One or two classic shots on a long trip, and that's quite a success, photographically. Otherwise, the journey itself is what counts. Of course, there is some time motivation to this. There will come a point where these longer trips might not be possible, or else will have to forego the wt of LF gear. The clock is ticking, and I know only a small part of my bucket list will get checked off. But I've always been conservative with my equipment. For two decades I only packed one lens with the Sinar. I don't waste film. Now I might carry three very small lenses. Just what I need, nothing more. You can always get another shot, some other time. But you can't get another life if you freeze to death. So a sleeping bag, parka, tent or rainshelter, food, come first. Only afterwards does the space for photo gear get factored in. But I do plenty of local photography too, returning to the same spots over and over. And in those cases
the bigger pack is nice for the bulkier gear, like the 8x10 system.

Photobackpacker
1-Jan-2015, 09:35
Regardless of gnawing ash trees with his teeth, he does have a point. Those old, out-of-favor external frames were good for heavy loads over long distances. They went out-of-favor because they were relatively heavy while typical backpack loads were getting lighter. And yes, some of the materials used for internal frames got better.

Personally, I wouldn't do the bubble wrap routine but if I had my gear in a hard case like a Pelican, I'd lash that to a frame with a shelf. In fact, I keep a old Boy Scout frame for that purpose.

Not knocking the PBP models; I've heard nothing but good things about them. Frankly, given what's been said about them, I find it odd that he didn't sell the business rather than shut it down.

I would love to sell the business. I wish there were someone who would love to buy it. It is for sale for the value of the inventory at cost. There are issues, however. The factory I used to produce the P3 took on a major backpack brand and all of the small clients were dropped. This means a buyer would need to find a new factory and bring it on line. That will take 12 to 24 months. I turned 67 last Saturday and I want to be able to use the backpack I developed to get into the field and actually take some pictures. :)

Seriously, if there were any folks who are interested, I would love to talk.

Bruce

Regular Rod
8-Jan-2015, 05:29
My second P3 and cases for whole plate Rittreck, lenses and all the other bits arrived this morning. To say I am delighted would be an understatement. I do hope someone can continue in the furrow that Bruce has ploughed for we lucky owners of his system. Everyone that walks any distance with their gear should treat themselves to a Photobackpacker outfit...

:)
RR

Drew Bedo
9-Jan-2015, 17:58
I got a camera box and 4x6 Cascade pack at Christmas—already had a few lens boxes . . .all good stuff!

This is a brand that will be missed.

Boinzo
10-Jan-2015, 16:04
I love these threads, it's always great reading about people's hiking perspectives. Especially Drew Grylls. ;-)
One thing that I find interesting is that people who want backpack advise seem to always say what they plan to put in their new pack. Less often do they provide detail on where (and for how far) they plan carry it.
I reckon it's the where and how far questions that determine the most appropriate pack. That and your physical size and fitness.
I used PBP for ages but changed to a FStop Tilopa a few years ago. I'm a bit vertically challenged and for me the Tilopa carries better for longer than the PBP with the same load. And I can fit more of the life-saving stuff in with my photo things. First aid, extra layers, etc.
To cover a lot of ground I like to work a bit like Kirk and go places to scope them out. Then I can go back with only the right lens for the job. Instead of carrying all 5 lenses I can bring just one (or maybe 2).
I reckon it's also important to consider how a pack feels when climbing. Especially when climbing down rock shelves to reach a stream bed and so on. I always carry rope to let my gear down (and get it back again) so I can climb safely.

Kirk Gittings
10-Jan-2015, 20:48
Sounds like you had an older PBP not the P3?

Kodachrome25
10-Jan-2015, 22:27

+1, I have both the P3 and the Tilopa and the P3 is a good bit more comfortable over the long hauls.

Boinzo
11-Jan-2015, 03:44
I am fairly sure I had a P3. But I no longer have it to check. I did really like it. And when I first had it I couldn't believe how well it carried. I think maybe it was just that the PBP is a bit bigger than the Tilopa so I was probably tempted to take more than I needed. The slightly smaller Tilopa forces me to focus long and hard on what actually need to carry!
Although I do remember one day getting all my PBP cases and backer board out and weighing them and was amazed to find they weighed nearly as much as 2 small lenses. My Tilopa ICU is nearly half the weight.

Kodachrome25
11-Jan-2015, 09:08
We all work differently and want different things. There is a reason I have both the Tilopa and the P3 among at least two other ways to carry or integrate my 4x5 kit into other systems......there is no one size fits all approach. For example if I am doing an overnight backpacking trip and decide to lug 4x5 instead of 6x6, I will slide in one of my custom backer boards into one of my alpine packs and attach the appropriate cases if I plan to make images enroute...or not and just use wraps or clothing if just making images at the destination. If I am shooting down a high ridge line at 14,000 feet and snowboarding, I will use the Tilopa, it is stiffer and skis better with the lashing points, etc.

I don't buy the 2 lens thing either, LF is always on a tripod so as much as I like the light and fast approach with other formats, it just does not work at all with LF for me because I always see more images as possibilities than what I will scout for so I at least bring a 90, 135 and 240.

As I make a living at this photo game, I don't need to be "forced" into thinking long and hard about what to bring, I just need to grab the right tools for the work I am doing and execute.

I think you are trying to make your approach the approach for everyone, all anyone can do is read it, enter it into their decision making and calculate their choice.

chassis
11-Jan-2015, 09:14
For a 4x5 field system I use a 33 liter pack from JanSport. It's great.

A version of this topic came up a few years ago, probably more in the archives:

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?96031-Small-backpack-for-couple-of-lenses-film-and-4x5-field-camera

Kirk Gittings
11-Jan-2015, 12:48

I said this because you said you had used your PBP for "ages" but the P3 has only been available since August of 2013 or for just a year and a half-no way to squeeze "ages" into that :)

Boinzo
11-Jan-2015, 13:31
I said this because you said you had used your PBP for "ages" but the P3 has only been available since August of 2013 or for just a year and a half-no way to squeeze "ages" into that :)

Ahhh. Of course! Yes well it was definitely pre 2013 so must have been the earlier model.

appletree
5-Apr-2015, 09:24
Rather than bumping multiple threads, I can bump this one. I have been using a Gregory A40 pack for a few years. Mainly because when traveling I was flying standby and needed something that even when full could be brought on the plane with me, no checking of bags.

That said I always find I could have used a tad bit more room. But I just need to not pack so much stuff!

I have a giftcard to Filson and thinking about getting a side bag, sling type. Like a basic leather messenger bag so that I can have just my 4x5 and 35mm in there. I plan on just traveling with 2 cameras. Prob 35mm and Hassie or 35mm and 4x5. I do like having the Gregory since it is comfortable and good for hiking and walking everywhere when traveling. But it would be nice when that is packed in a locker to have something smaller to just walk around with. Rather than removing all my clothes and stuff and using it with just the camera.

Any thoughts/suggestions? Seems like people don't like the Filson photobags (according to reviews on Filson's site). Although most complaints seem around the dividers inside the bag. I probably would remove all those and just use my own photobackpacker cubes and similar system.

I imagine my camera, 6-ish film holders, pup changing tent (although kept in my main backpack), tripod (which is 24" when folded), film, dark cloth, 2 lens (maybe 90mm and 210mm...or 90mm and 150mm), etc. The tripod I could strap to the side of my main pack, and someway on the messenger bag when walking with just it.

I don't need this soon, but with hoping to travel in the fall, perhaps, it would be nice to find something additional to just my Gregory pack. And of course for when I just want to go out and shoot, I have nothing other than an old mountainsmith I lug around. Thanks for any advice/food for thought.

Richard Wasserman
5-Apr-2015, 10:34
I imagine my camera, 6-ish film holders, pup changing tent (although kept in my main backpack), tripod (which is 24" when folded), film, dark cloth, 2 lens (maybe 90mm and 210mm...or 90mm and 150mm), etc. The tripod I could strap to the side of my main pack, and someway on the messenger bag when walking with just it.

Domke F2 and get yourself something else from Filson. I like their hats....

appletree
5-Apr-2015, 12:15
Thanks for replying to my book of text. And thats a nice bag...upon close inspection looks like an American flag on the inside. I love anything made in USA.

I will look into it. Looks like it might fit the bill and is affordably priced.

Peter Spangenberg
9-Apr-2015, 18:10
The PBP gear looks great, but I can't offer insight on gear i haven't used. I have been very satisfied with the Lightware backpack for my 5x7 Deardorff plus all the extras. Lots of room and it converts to a carry case with zip away straps. I find it quite comfortable and roomy enough.