PDA

View Full Version : Schneider no longer manufacturing analog lenses?

John Kasaian
27-Dec-2014, 21:38
I just came across this on Badger Graphic's site---
http://www.badgergraphic.com/opencart/index.php?route=product/category&path=3

Daniel Stone
27-Dec-2014, 21:48
Not really much of a market anymore, even the second-hand market is pretty soft for most recent LF stuffs. Even MFD has taken a hit recently with the D8** and Sony 36mp offerings, combined with different combinations of cameras/lenses...

Rodenstock only offers a few "analog" lenses now, and it wouldn't surprise me if they go digital-only in the near future.

"Progress" my friend ;)

-Dan

Sal Santamaura
27-Dec-2014, 21:54
Old news; redundant thread.

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?114953-Schneider-s-analogue-lens-production

Drew Wiley
29-Dec-2014, 14:51
There's such a glut of used lenses out there at the moment that I don't see how any mfg or distributor would make money. Many of these lenses will be operative
for decades to come. A better business plan is to make things which rapidly go obsolete - like electronics.

desertrat
30-Dec-2014, 10:37
There are always a few people who will pay really big bucks for a brand new lens. But the market is so small that the lenses would need to be made only occasionally in small batches. There are some specialty optical shops that are equipped to do this. The prices would be astronomical, but a few very wealthy enthusiasts could afford it.

I think there is an optical company in Russia that will make a custom lens in any design desired for about three or four thousand dollars. I saw their name mentioned once but don't remember what it was.

Ron McElroy
30-Dec-2014, 19:38
I think a lack of shutters will be a major problem long before the glass goes bad.

Emmanuel BIGLER
31-Dec-2014, 05:12
I think a lack of shutters

Ron: I would say "the lack of mechanical shutters" like compurs, prontors, copal, etc ...

Because electro-mechanical leaf shutters are available from Rollei-DHW, Schneider-Kreuznach and Rodenstock, Sinar, Horseman (the ISS system is not discontinued) and Arca Swiss.
Moreover, Arca Swiss has introduced at the last 2014 photokina an electro-mechanical focal plane shutter, but this is only for medium format film or sensors (645 size), not large format.

hoffner
31-Dec-2014, 07:26

Ron: I would say "the lack of mechanical shutters" like compurs, prontors, copal, etc ...

But you would be wrong, as many of the electronic leaf shutters you mention have serious disadvantages to be practical replacement of mechanical shutters used in our view (especially field view) cameras.
Ron is right.

Bob Salomon
31-Dec-2014, 07:52

Because electro-mechanical leaf shutters are available from Rollei-DHW, Schneider-Kreuznach and Rodenstock, Sinar, Horseman (the ISS system is not discontinued) and Arca Swiss.
Moreover, Arca Swiss has introduced at the last 2014 photokina an electro-mechanical focal plane shutter, but this is only for medium format film or sensors (645 size), not large format.

DHW filed for protection/liquidation last August. So the Rollei shutters are not really available.
The ISS shutters are step motored Copal mechanical shutters and since Copal no longer makes mechanical shutters the ISS, if still made, will run out of shutters shortly.
Our info is that Schneider is no longer producing their shutter.

desertrat
31-Dec-2014, 10:59
I think the future for new manufactured LF lenses will be to mount them in cells to fit a customer's shutter. Or they could be mounted in barrel and used in front of a Packard shutter, which I think are still being made. There may be a shutter manufacturer in China that would be willing to make LF shutters if the order is large enough.

Peter Gomena
1-Jan-2015, 11:15
Who would have thought that Packard would outlast them all?

Ektagraphic
1-Jan-2017, 23:46
It seems rather strange to me that there are really a wide spectrum of people making LF cameras, yet shutters and lenses no longer manufactured. I agree with the others that posted that the lack of shutter manufacturing is problematic. It seems scary that even Linhof would still offer a brand new $10,000 camera for which you cannot buy a currently manufactured shutter, and just a couple of lenses.

Professional
2-Jan-2017, 00:09
It is really a very bad or sad news, i just started with film and i was hoping to use LF more soon, and i only buy brand new gear of what i can find, but now i can't give/put hopes to use LF more when i can't get lenses new anymore, and i will try to find which is new left so far if i can find, or i wish if they can really send me one by request if i call to order one, i won't ask or look for many lenses, i only look for 2 or 3 lenses at most only for 4x5, and i won't plan to go for 8x10 at all in the future for this lack of lenses reason.

Dan Fromm
2-Jan-2017, 05:48
As soon as you fire a new lens' shutter the lens transforms from new to used. Why are you averse to used lenses? Many people have got outstanding results from used lenses, some ancient.

Bob Salomon
2-Jan-2017, 07:02
It seems rather strange to me that there are really a wide spectrum of people making LF cameras, yet shutters and lenses no longer manufactured. I agree with the others that posted that the lack of shutter manufacturing is problematic. It seems scary that even Linhof would still offer a brand new $10,000 camera for which you cannot buy a currently manufactured shutter, and just a couple of lenses.
But Linhof does still offer lenses in Copal as well as in Rodenstock shutters. When Schneider and Rodenstock stopped lens production and Copal stopped shutter production they each informed their camera manufacturers that they would do so and allowed them to place orders for their future needs. That meant that they had to buy inventory instead of being able to wait till they had a sale for the product before ordering it.

Professional
2-Jan-2017, 08:12
As soon as you fire a new lens' shutter the lens transforms from new to used. Why are you averse to used lenses? Many people have got outstanding results from used lenses, some ancient.

Because i can't trust much of the Brand New itself, so then definitely a used one is always will be questionable, and then i may regret and i may send for service which i can't, so i prefer to buy high much more for brand new and i only blame myself and i know it is free of issues as it must be.

Also, if i plan to sell it then with brand new i can sell at good reasonable price if possible, while a used one is already low price then i won't get anything good if i re-sale it again for any reason, i don't/can't sell online or overseas for some reasons, and locally they don't give that good prices, so with brand new and i am first user i still can get a reasonable sale value, while if used then no one will buy it or i may sell it at even less than half of the used price i bought.

I had issues before with brand new lenses and one camera and i managed to correct it within time except one lens [or it is the camera maybe], experiences like this really putting me always in doubt anything even new fresh out from the factory directly.

locutus
2-Jan-2017, 09:11
You could always buy second hand from a dealer that has their items services before they put them up.....

Jac@stafford.net
2-Jan-2017, 09:34
Because i can't trust much of the Brand New itself, so then definitely a used one is always will be questionable, and then i may regret and i may send for service which i can't, so i prefer to buy high much more for brand new and i only blame myself and i know it is free of issues as it must be.

Also, if i plan to sell it then with brand new i can sell at good reasonable price if possible, while a used one is already low price then i won't get anything good if i re-sale it again for any reason, i don't/can't sell online or overseas for some reasons, and locally they don't give that good prices, so with brand new and i am first user i still can get a reasonable sale value, while if used then no one will buy it or i may sell it at even less than half of the used price i bought.

I had issues before with brand new lenses and one camera and i managed to correct it within time except one lens [or it is the camera maybe], experiences like this really putting me always in doubt anything even new fresh out from the factory directly.

Let's consider another strategy. New (unused) lenses are very expensive, possibly five times as expensive as a typical used lens. Since you are already (apparently) willing to spend 5X the used market value, then elementary likelihood suggests you should buy the used item with plans to buy up to two more if the earlier one fails - and you will still be ahead financially.

In your second paragraph you worry about resale value and assume a lens you buy new will sell for more than a used lens. That's simply not how the market works. Your 'new' lens is used the moment you use it, and you do intend to use it in order to find if it is satisfactory, no? Do not presume that the market will believe that you are the first user, and then they may doubt the item's value if you found it unsatisfactory.

dpn
2-Jan-2017, 11:00
Uncertainty over the future of our materials (equipment and film) is sort of inherent to film photography now. If you only want 100% new, manufacturer-supported gear, may I suggest digital? Otherwise, I think you've got to embrace used gear and maintenance costs. It's a good thing that a lot of old large format equipment was manufactured well, and is (relatively) easily repaired.

Professional
2-Jan-2017, 11:32
I try very very hard to not send any gear for repair, especially overseas, so if for example i bought a used lens say at good reasonable price and for a bad luck it has an issue or defective somehow, then i will never send it to service overseas, and there is no shops at all in my country, so it will be either i sell it which i will never sell with that issue or i just ignore forget it in one bags forever and never use it, that may occur very very minimal and i will be saving a lot of money for sure, but then this will make me even to regret going for used even very cheap, i already bought used lenses for LF and MF.

I don't want to buy always used gear only, and i am not planning to buy so many lenses anyway, and even the lenses i looked for as used the prices according to the conditions aren't that very low, it is nearly 30-40% of the actually brand new price, if i go with the one that is 10-20% of the brand new it is high opportunity for an issue one, good lenses in excellent condition are still overpriced as used, and i already listed one lens as used to buy later, but i want to get one more brand new lens if possible or available, for example i was thinking/planning to buy 90mm only SA XL one, but it is gone as brand new so i just choose another brand lens, which is 90mm f4.5 [i don't see Schneider has one], not sure if Rodey or Fujinon or Nikkor one, only used are available anyway even before except Rodenstock few years but i was eyeing on Schneider.

For my Graphex camera i bought only used lenses, and for this camera i will go with used only because the camera itself is used and maybe not working properly until i test it, I may buy used only if i buy 8x10 because most lenses for 8x10 are more expensive than 4x5/5x7 ones, and definitely no much available as brand new, but for 4x5 i try to have all accessories and full equipment as brand new as possible as i did with my main favorite digital cameras.

Nodda Duma
2-Jan-2017, 14:32
I could design new lenses and have them made, but the market is so small that you wouldn't like the price...somewhere around $1k per element in a design for one-off lenses just for the glass alone (i.e. no labor or metal). I doubt the market could bear even the 20 or so sets required to cut that price in half.

The NRE for a new shutter is upwards of $50k, then roughly $5k per produced unit in prototype quantities.

I don't post this to poo-poo the idea--would love to do it---but I have a realistic viewpoint on what it would take to make a new optic in a flooded, incredibly small and limited-resource market.

Btw there's nothing wrong with electronic shutters. Those who disagree don't understand the technology or the environments they are currently being used in.

John Kasaian
2-Jan-2017, 14:43
On the plus side, it's kind of hard to actually wear out a LF lens.
Of course those lenses that were once owned by famous photographers probably had all the good images taken out of them so that's why they sold them.
What is needed is a go fund me to start up a service that refills good images into all those old lenses that are running on "E" :rolleyes:

stawastawa
2-Jan-2017, 15:39
Sounds like time to compile a more extensive list of Repair services to post on the LFP.info home page.

Corran
2-Jan-2017, 17:02
Professional should simply look for well-known reputable sellers here who know their equipment and its condition and can provide exact shutter measurements if necessary.

There is no reason to shun used lenses from people who actually know what they are talking about. It is no surprise that lenses from eBay sold by the child of a hobbyist who died 10 years ago and was an occasional photographer but stopped 25 years ago probably need service. Current users of LF lenses here and post photos they are shooting on a weekly basis are a whole other issue.

A commensurate price premium for a used lens in confirmed good condition would of course be expected, and still way cheaper than new most likely.

My 90mm XL isn't for sale though :).

Bob Salomon
2-Jan-2017, 17:27
Professional should simply look for well-known reputable sellers here who know their equipment and its condition and can provide exact shutter measurements if necessary.

There is no reason to shun used lenses from people who actually know what they are talking about. It is no surprise that lenses from eBay sold by the child of a hobbyist who died 10 years ago and was an occasional photographer but stopped 25 years ago probably need service. Current users of LF lenses here and post photos they are shooting on a weekly basis are a whole other issue.

A commensurate price premium for a used lens in confirmed good condition would of course be expected, and still way cheaper than new most likely.

My 90mm XL isn't for sale though :).

Knowing exact shutter speeds is not that important since a shutter has to be within 30% of its marked speed to be operating properly. That is the industry standard.

Corran
2-Jan-2017, 17:44
Well Bob, the point was providing exact shutter speeds (via a tester) so as to assure the buyer of the shutter's condition. How poorly the original new shutter performed is irrelevant, or perhaps your point is that a used shutter is likely to be in better spec than new??

Every time I've had a shutter serviced and gotten a note with exact measurements of the shutter, it is within 5% of spec or so except at the fastest speed. I wonder if that 30% thing is only to account for the high shutter speeds being always slow by a lot?

Dan Fromm
2-Jan-2017, 18:13
+/- 30% means +/- half a stop. Not great, but not as horrible as it sounds, especially with negative film.

Professional
2-Jan-2017, 19:39
Exactly, i only use eBay to buy LF gear, not B&H not even Keh which i stopped using since few years ago.

In all cases, i may re-think about my list, i as thinking about 90XL brand new, so maybe i should go with 90/f4.5 used instead and forget about XL. Also was thinking about Symmar 210 brand new, gone? then how about 240mm instead of 210 and a used one? or maybe instead of that Symmar-L 210 for example i was looking for then i go for 210 version that covers 8x10 instead, and sure i will go with used one, i was looking for 2-3 Schneider lenses as brand new, they are no longer in use so then i should include more another brands and options, not necessary the 2-3 lenses i was looking for are the best options out there.

I don't know if i should start with 90/4.5 or 210/240, i like shooting wider scenes more, but most of the time i go busy and mostly i have subjects that need to be close to or close up thing at home, so i will forget about wider now as long i already have one lens for it, 210 or 240 i would like to use for macro things and abstract and some portraits when possible.

Kevin Crisp
2-Jan-2017, 20:08
Even if you don't repair a shutter when you get one that is not right, the inevitable truth is that shutters do need periodic CLA. Unless every time that happens you are going to stop using the lens....

Christopher Barrett
2-Jan-2017, 20:28
As for shutters, fortunately you can still get them fixed or find new ones to replace them with. I started shooting large format professionally in '96. I shot 4x5 on a new set of 9 lenses for about 10 years before going digital. I figure that's at least 50,000 exposures altogether and I never had a shutter fail. If you get a good shutter and treat it well, it really ought to last you until you can't carry your LF gear around anymore.

My 210 is the Rodie Apo-Sironar W Love it, good stuff! Got it off eBay. The exterior of the shutter is a little beat up, like it was carried next to another lens in a bag, but it's rock solid and the glass is gorgeous.

YMMV,
CB

Leszek Vogt
2-Jan-2017, 21:42
With some tlc these used lenses will continue to perform. Here I am, it's 2017 and I made my very first purchase on the ebay....wooohoo...it was a 12" Kodak Commercial (to fit 5x7) and the description said in essence that the shutter was in the toilet. The price was quite reasonable. Great! But, I was patient and called the place (asking pertinent questions), who had the lens and I realized that I was heading in the right direction. Somehow I won the bid by $6.... huh ?) and the lens was in an EXCELLENT shape, just what the guy told me over the phone. It was worth refurbishing the shutter (called about that too, before I plunked the cash down). Knowing the shutter speeds, I mean even if they are some % off, I feel I got a wonderfully functional lens (maybe not quite new), except I ended up paying 3-4 times less than the going prices.....can't get those new, well....urrr, unless from a collector.

Les

Bernice Loui
2-Jan-2017, 23:53
Solution to the vintage or whacky shutter problem for other than modern wide angle lenses, good condition, calibrated Sinar shutter. Better yet, two known good and calibrated Sinar shutters. One to use, the other as a spare.

This route pretty much solves the problem of shutter speed differences between lenses in shutter and allows most any optic that can be fitted to a Sinar or similar size lens board to be used on a view camera.

Optics when properly cared for tend to endue and remain serviceable for an awful long time. Given this reality, used optics in tested good for performance is a very viable way to put together a set of working lenses.

Bernice

Halford
3-Jan-2017, 02:47
I've been thinking about this as this whole thread has unfolded -- and I can understand why people are anxious about a lack of new components entering the LF / Analog 'ecosystem'. But I don't think it's something to panic about. I'm amazed at how much creativity we've seen from people using modern, low-cost fabrication techniques to launch new products into this space (not the lens/shutter space, but the general sheet film world). It's happened first in the darkroom/processing space because the closure of many high-volume labs created an obvious and real need. Shutters are of course fairly complex but accessible machining and manufacturing get better and cheaper by the year.

I have no doubt that as supplies of shutters in good condition inevitably run down, we will see similar creativity and small, nimble businesses springing up to fill the niche. They won't be the same as the Copals and Compurs we're used to, but they will let us control exposure, so yay.

Fretting won't solve the problem. If you are worried, learn to use a CAD program and design something new -- it might just be what everyone else it waiting for.

Leigh
3-Jan-2017, 18:59
i only buy brand new gear...
Why?

There are tons of good used cameras and lenses/shutters out there.

Back when LF stuff was made, quality was everything.
Buyers stressed quality above all else, and manufacturers complied.

You can find plenty of 75-year-old shutters that will still perform as new after a routine CLA.

And glass doesn't degrade of its own volition, only courtesy of the attention of clueless shooters.

You'll be very hard-pressed to find modern equipment that matches the build quality of vintage gear.

- Leigh

Professional
4-Jan-2017, 01:09
Why?

There are tons of good used cameras and lenses/shutters out there.

Back when LF stuff was made, quality was everything.
Buyers stressed quality above all else, and manufacturers complied.

You can find plenty of 75-year-old shutters that will still perform as new after a routine CLA.

And glass doesn't degrade of its own volition, only courtesy of the attention of clueless shooters.

You'll be very hard-pressed to find modern equipment that matches the build quality of vintage gear.

- Leigh

I should say i only buy brand new when i can have enough good budget and when most gear are available as brand new, but if not good budget and no more brand new gear then i have no choice but to go with used gear.

I just prefer to have budget lose headache more than used gear conditions headache, as long i am paying money no doubt so i better spend once even so high than spending less and then i have to spend later if something wrong, i bought many many brand new gear and i never feel headache, bought some used gear and still happy, but nothing that beat the impression getting brand new and you unboxing it and have all included accessories and manual and whatever.

locutus
4-Jan-2017, 03:04
LF lenses come with or need manuals? :-)

Professional
4-Jan-2017, 03:17

And you only caught me saying manual?

Also lens caps, some used gear i mean lenses aren't coming with caps, it is maybe not a big deal for some, but i don't like to leave any of my glasses without caps front and rear, and sometimes it is a headache to buy the proper caps for Lf lenses that aren't coming on some standard sizes mostly rear.

Anyway, i will buy used if my budget is low and the item is out of production, and i will buy brand new only if the item is still in production and i have high budget, no hard there and it is my money, i spent so big in the past, and if i can again why not, if i can't then as you all says i can go with used easily if available.

Jac@stafford.net
4-Jan-2017, 03:21

Oh, please do not be coy!

All instructions ignore the fact that the ground glass image is upside-down! When will they fix that? :)

Leigh
4-Jan-2017, 06:50
Also lens caps, some used gear i mean lenses aren't coming with caps, it is maybe not a big deal for some, but i don't like to leave any of my glasses without caps front and rear, and sometimes it is a headache to buy the proper caps for Lf lenses that aren't coming on some standard sizes mostly rear.
I've bought almost 30 LF lenses with shutters. They all had the original caps, and everything in excellent condition.

In all cases, you receive what you bought.

Read the descriptions and make sure they're accurate. Buy only from reputable sellers. It ain't rocket science.

- Leigh

Professional
4-Jan-2017, 09:16
I've bought almost 30 LF lenses with shutters. They all had the original caps, and everything in excellent condition.

In all cases, you receive what you bought.

Read the descriptions and make sure they're accurate. Buy only from reputable sellers. It ain't rocket science.

- Leigh

That if i can trust the seller and it is in my mother language, so if i can't check out accurately or can't find out full details or if the seller isn't honest all these issues aren't helping for sure.

Anyway, i apologize many times because i keep mentioning brand new all the time, sounds it is not a good idea to bring it many times.

I hope i can start LF as soon as possible when the situations allow.

John Kasaian
4-Jan-2017, 09:28
oh, please do not be coy!

All instructions ignore the fact that the ground glass image is upside-down! When will they fix that? :)
roflmao!

John Kasaian
4-Jan-2017, 09:39
That if i can trust the seller and it is in my mother language, so if i can't check out accurately or can't find out full details or if the seller isn't honest all these issues aren't helping for sure.

Anyway, i apologize many times because i keep mentioning brand new all the time, sounds it is not a good idea to bring it many times.

If you can afford to buy brand new, more power to you! Maybe Schneider and Nikon would still be grinding LF lenses if more photographers could afford to buy brand new, but IMHO the professional studios converting to digital was effectively the writing on the wall for a lot of businesses. OTOH if it weren't for studio gear to had for pennies on the dollar, I'd guess that a lot of us wouldn't be able to afford to try LF.

When one door closes, another door opens.

Professional
4-Jan-2017, 09:40
If you can afford to buy brand new, more power to you! Maybe Schneider and Nikon would still be grinding LF lenses if more photographers could afford to buy brand new, but IMHO the professional studios converting to digital was effectively the writing on the wall for a lot of businesses. OTOH if it weren't for studio gear to had for pennies on the dollar, I'd guess that a lot of us wouldn't be able to afford to try LF.

When one door closes, another door opens.

Very true!!!

Bernice Loui
4-Jan-2017, 10:49
LF has a long and rich history of optics that have been designed and produced for well over a century. Much like fashion, there were optics that embodied these moments in time as LF image style. LF users today can experience what these image making styles were like by accessing these vintage optics and learning how to properly use them. Same applies to non-silver gelatin image making.

Many of the foundational optics designs were invented well over a century ago and little has changed with their basic concepts. What has changed are the ways in which they are computed, manufactured, materials used and stylized by their creators.

To only accept "new" in the universe of LF optics is to completely miss out on some of the most interesting imaging optics every created. In this universe of LF optics new is simply not always better.

Much the same applies to limiting LF optics to only what is available in shutter or having any optic mounted into a shutter.

While exploring the universe of LF imaging optics is and can be fascinating, at some point in this journey, the image maker does often discover the optics most favored as their creative image making tool (s) result in their preferred set of LF imaging optics.

Bernice

Len Middleton
4-Jan-2017, 13:52

Context is important...

When in Dubai last month, while not actively looking I did find one store carrying grip and lighting equipment and another carrying some 35mm film (likely out of date) near the Gold Souk. I expect that LF film equipment would not be common in your area, nor the traditional support network to maintain it.

Even in North America, with the move to digital, demographics is catching up to those who keep the older film equipment going, as two individuals who repaired some of my equipment in the past, have passed away, and likely none taking their place as a full time profession.

I expect the issue is bigger in the UAE, as it would typically be expats who would do the technical repairs, and if the work is not there they might move to somewhere they could continue their profession. Sending out of the country for repairs would be much more complex and difficult than sending it between states in the US, but doable. Certainly I have purchased equipment and services (Richard Ritter, Custom Bellows UK) internationally as they have not been available locally.

Good luck in your efforts...

EdSawyer
4-Jan-2017, 14:06
Just to be a bit pendantic... ;-)

While I agree with most of your message, it is possible for glass to degrade on it's own. Particularly with older lenses (like WWII vintage), either the glass itself (devitrification) or sometimes the cement in cemented groups will degrade.

-Ed

Jac@stafford.net
4-Jan-2017, 14:37
Just to be a bit pendantic... ;-)

[...] it is possible for glass to degrade on it's own. Particularly with older lenses (like WWII vintage), either the glass itself (devitrification) [...]

I wish to be corrected if I am wrong, but devitrification occurs when the glass is made and does not occur later unless it is heated again close to melting and in a contaminated oven. Steven Tribe raised my interest in such long ago. Perhaps he can help here.

Bob Salomon
4-Jan-2017, 15:01
Context is important...

When in Dubai last month, while not actively looking I did find one store carrying grip and lighting equipment and another carrying some 35mm film (likely out of date) near the Gold Souk. I expect that LF film equipment would not be common in your area, nor the traditional support network to maintain it.

Even in North America, with the move to digital, demographics is catching up to those who keep the older film equipment going, as two individuals who repaired some of my equipment in the past, have passed away, and likely none taking their place as a full time profession.

I expect the issue is bigger in the UAE, as it would typically be expats who would do the technical repairs, and if the work is not there they might move to somewhere they could continue their profession. Sending out of the country for repairs would be much more complex and difficult than sending it between states in the US, but doable. Certainly I have purchased equipment and services (Richard Ritter, Custom Bellows UK) internationally as they have not been available locally.

Good luck in your efforts...

In case you were not aware, Somita in Dubai is the Rodenstock lens distributor in the UAE. So someone must also be selling cameras there also.

Len Middleton
4-Jan-2017, 15:07
In case you were not aware, Somita in Dubai is the Rodenstock lens distributor in the UAE. So someone must also be selling cameras there also.

And presumable they have some means to support their equipment...

That would be good information to have for the UAE.

Bob Salomon
4-Jan-2017, 16:00
And presumable they have some means to support their equipment...

That would be good information to have for the UAE.

They seem to also be the Cambo distributor over there.

Luis-F-S
4-Jan-2017, 16:46
If you can afford to buy brand new, more power to you! Maybe Schneider and Nikon would still be grinding LF lenses if more photographers could afford to buy brand new......

I bought all my architectural modern lenses new back in the late 80's. They were available new then but are not now. Still have all of them from 47mm to 180mm. For personal work I bought a 14" GD Dagor new which I still have, all my other Dagors I've bought used as they were not available new. AFAIK new LF lenses have not been available for years so used is the only option. So I now have the 3 WA and Dagors from 6" to 14" and Artars from 9 1/2" to 30". But if I could only have one lens for 8x10 it would be the 12" Golden Dagor!

Professional
5-Jan-2017, 03:38
I asked those stores in UAE, they are no longer maintaining or supporting analogue anymore, they may do by sending it overseas but then they will charge even more than what i bought the used for, which is not worthy, and that is why i said new if available so i can use it without issues, most of the time i trust completely those used according to the seller and condition but maybe i just said maybe i may get one that may have a small issue, repairing in UAE is like a nightmare, i still didn't bring my digital lens [Canon 24-70 mk1] because they asking me about $1000 for repair which is not that big damage in my opinion, even if they change a lot i didn't expect it to be that much, so since 4 years i didn't bring my lens and i don't know if Canon service still have it or not.

In all cases, i have 2 brand new LF lenses and i think 3 used lenses, i will used those for a while, i was thinking for one more lens as brand new [i think it is 210mm] but i couldn't find, i was thinking about either 180mm instead or 240mm, but not sure if 210mm will be something in its level over 180/240 for me.