PDA

View Full Version : Fuji 50 4x5 from japan?

andred2809
27-Dec-2014, 17:03
Hi Folks,

As I understand it Fujifilm no longer manufacture velvia 50 in large format film? or do they still make bulk batches for the local market?

These pop up on ebay very frequently from Japan(see links below) are these bogus? or could they be genuine?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FUJIFILM-CUT-VELVIA50-NP-4X5-20-Reversal-Film-Fujichrome-Velvia-50-Sheets-20-PC-/111533473663?pt=US_Camera_Film&hash=item19f7e9bf7f

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-FUJIFILM-CUT-VELVIA50-NP-4X5-20-Reversal-Film-Fujichrome-Velvia-50Sheets-F-S-/181621229631?pt=US_Camera_Film&hash=item2a4978083f

Cheers, Andy

biedron
27-Dec-2014, 17:40
In fact Fuji still makes Velvia 50 in 4x5 and 8x10. Unfortunately they will only sell directly to the Japanese market. As a result, basically the only way to get it is to go through the resellers on ebay. (Or, if you know someone in Japan willing to buy locally and ship to you, that would be an option).

I haven't purchased film from either of the two resellers you list, but I have used others in the past.

Bob

Hi Folks,

As I understand it Fujifilm no longer manufacture velvia 50 in large format film? or do they still make bulk batches for the local market?

These pop up on ebay very frequently from Japan(see links below) are these bogus? or could they be genuine?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FUJIFILM-CUT-VELVIA50-NP-4X5-20-Reversal-Film-Fujichrome-Velvia-50-Sheets-20-PC-/111533473663?pt=US_Camera_Film&hash=item19f7e9bf7f

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-FUJIFILM-CUT-VELVIA50-NP-4X5-20-Reversal-Film-Fujichrome-Velvia-50Sheets-F-S-/181621229631?pt=US_Camera_Film&hash=item2a4978083f

Cheers, Andy

vinny
27-Dec-2014, 17:41
They still make it for Japan. If u want some, buy as much as u can afford. Never know when they'll REALLY stop making it. Member stonenyc has a contact outside of eBay for it.

Jim Andrada
27-Dec-2014, 18:00
+1 - it's readily available in Japan in 4 x 5 and 8 x 10. I order it from the big camera stores and have it delivered to one of my clients and when we meet up we swap the film for the stuff his wife orders from the US. Saves the cost of shipping.

Liquid Artist
27-Dec-2014, 19:24
I don't imagine they still make it in 5x7, do they?

Daniel Stone
27-Dec-2014, 20:09

Don't believe so, I've just cut down 8x10. PITA, I know, but if you want it, ya gotta do the hard work ;)

Liquid Artist
27-Dec-2014, 21:20
Don't believe so, I've just cut down 8x10. PITA, I know, but if you want it, ya gotta do the hard work ;)
I have enough for now, however I should get some in 8x10 when I have a chance to anyways.
I am planning on sneaking 1 or 2 more camera systems past the future wife soon.

Daniel Stone
27-Dec-2014, 21:24
I have enough for now, however I should get some in 8x10 when I have a chance to anyways.
I am planning on sneaking 1 or 2 more camera systems past the future wife soon.

Oh the joys of being a SINGLE man, with no wife to have to hide "new toys(tools)" from (yet) ;)!"

(Speaking of myself here, :p)

Oren Grad
27-Dec-2014, 22:57

No - 5x7 and Quickloads are flagged as discontinued on the Fuji home-market website:

ベルビア50

CUT5×7サイズ、 4×5 クイックロードタイプ (20枚入)は出荷終了いたしました。

http://fujifilm.jp/personal/filmandcamera/film/reversal/index.html

No more factory-cut 5x7 in any Fuji emulsion, actually.

Sal Santamaura
28-Dec-2014, 10:01
In fact Fuji still makes Velvia 50 in 4x5 and 8x10. Unfortunately they will only sell directly to the Japanese market. As a result, basically the only way to get it is to go through the resellers on ebay. (Or, if you know someone in Japan willing to buy locally and ship to you, that would be an option)...It's not necessary to use eBay sellers or "know someone." Just put it in your cart and check out:

http://www.japanexposures.com/shop/film-analog/velvia-50-4x5-sheet-film.html?currency=USD

biedron
28-Dec-2014, 10:32
Yeah, I forgot about Japanese Exposures, I've used them too. They used to be somewhat more expensive than the ebay resellers, but I see now that is no longer the case, at least in 8x10.

It's not necessary to use eBay sellers or "know someone." Just put it in your cart and check out:

http://www.japanexposures.com/shop/film-analog/velvia-50-4x5-sheet-film.html?currency=USD

StoneNYC
28-Dec-2014, 13:00
I'm working on putting together a special order for some 4x5 and 8x10, I made a connection and my price would be cheaper than Japan exposures or eBay prices.

I'll let you guys know when I put the figures together.

It's definitely still made... My 8x10 Velvia50 arrived a week ago...

andred2809
29-Dec-2014, 14:14
sorry guys, been out shooting the passed few days, thanks for all of the feedback, since posting I have found out that the lab I use for dev, make a direct order to fuji once a month and can order me however much I want if I pay up front, for any UK shooters, its Digilab in Newcastle.

dave_whatever
29-Dec-2014, 14:16
Any idea what the prices via Digilab are?

StoneNYC
29-Dec-2014, 18:55

Yes I'm curious too

BetterSense
29-Dec-2014, 19:33
I'm going to Japan next week. What japan-only goods, besides Velvia 50 in 4x5, should I look into bringing back?

How much stuff can I haul home before I run into some kind of customs problem?

Richard Johnson
29-Dec-2014, 20:10
Whoa, but why would anyone want to use Velvia anymore, much less pay a premium for it? You're just going to scan it....

mamypoko
29-Dec-2014, 20:19
I was in Japan a few weeks back, they had lots of it in stock at Yodobashi Shinjuku.

Great stuff.

vinny
29-Dec-2014, 20:25
Whoa, but why would anyone want to use Velvia anymore, much less pay a premium for it? You're just going to scan it....

Really?
Why would anyone shoot film anymore? Just use your iPhone and stitch it?

Rayt
29-Dec-2014, 21:08
I'm going to Japan next week. What japan-only goods, besides Velvia 50 in 4x5, should I look into bringing back?

How much stuff can I haul home before I run into some kind of customs problem?

Do you have a local friend or colleague with a Yodobashi Gold Point card you can borrow? With the card you get 5% of the purchase in credit you can then use immediately for more stuff. I used to load up my roller case with Quickloads and now it is Acros 8x10 and 4x5.

Sal Santamaura
29-Dec-2014, 22:13
I'm going to Japan next week. What japan-only goods, besides Velvia 50 in 4x5, should I look into bringing back?...Look up Nagaoka-san and ask if he'll build you a whole plate camera. If he does, I'll immediately buy it from you for twice what he charges as well as pay you twice any customs duty you're charged on the way home when the value exceeds your $800 personal exemption. :D

StoneNYC
30-Dec-2014, 09:31
Look up Nagaoka-san and ask if he'll build you a whole plate camera. If he does, I'll immediately buy it from you for twice what he charges as well as pay you twice any customs duty you're charged on the way home when the value exceeds your $800 personal exemption. :D

Wow, that's a crazy deal, can't you call this guy on the phone and have him build you one and ship it to you?

Sal Santamaura
30-Dec-2014, 09:38
...can't you call this guy on the phone and have him build you one and ship it to you?No. First, I don't speak Japanese. Second, he has in the past expressed to those who can communicate in that language a complete disinterest in exporting product. Once past those hurdles, one would need to see whether he's willing to custom build a format long gone from his camera literature. :)

StoneNYC
30-Dec-2014, 23:16
No. First, I don't speak Japanese. Second, he has in the past expressed to those who can communicate in that language a complete disinterest in exporting product. Once past those hurdles, one would need to see whether he's willing to custom build a format long gone from his camera literature. :)

Ahhh!! I suspect Honor and respect have a lot to do with his philosophy, how much better is his camera than say a chamonix?

andred2809
2-Jan-2015, 13:50

I will call Paul on Monday and find out mate, will let you know on here.