PDA

View Full Version : Recommend a good quality ND filter system?

Ari
27-Dec-2014, 10:04
Hello,
I don't use filters, with the exception of an occasional ND filter.
With the acquisition of three great 8x10 lenses, I'm having trouble figuring out a good system and one of good enough quality for the lenses I have.
The lenses have filter threads of 77mm, 95mm, and 105mm; the latter two are WA on 8x10 (150 and 210 lenses).

I like the idea of resin filters with one holder for all three lenses, but the largest holder I found is made by Lee, and is only 100mm.
But I don't know much about resin filters in real-world use, maybe they have some drawback of which I'm not aware.

I have a compendium hood for my camera, the filter size is 6" x 5.5" (15cm x 14cm), but anything of quality in this size will cost as much as a modern used 8x10 camera.

What do you use? And what might you recommend?

Thanks in advance.

Peter De Smidt
27-Dec-2014, 10:39
For bigger lenses, I've used Lee's thin polyester filters in Cambo filter frames. They're 4", which won't quite work for you biggest lens. One option is to use the filters behind the lens, since usually the rear cell of a lens is smaller than the front one. There used to be a filter holder made for just that purpose, the Xenophon filter holder, but it's not hard to DIY. The thin filters are so thin that any focus shift is negligible. An advantage is that extraneous ambient light is kept completely off of the filter.

tgtaylor
27-Dec-2014, 10:49
I use a Cokin Z-Pro filter holder for 100mm Schneider glass filters. For wider lens you'll have to use a Cokin X-Pro holder http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?=Cokin+X-Pro+W960+Pro+Graduated+Neutral+Density+Filter+Kit&N=10307103&InitialSearch=yes&sts=pi.

Thomas

Jeff Keller
27-Dec-2014, 11:02
There are filter holders that are popular for use with the Nikon 14-24 zoom. Lee SW-150 is one of them 150mm x 170mm. I believe I saw some Chinese made knock-offs of the holder that looked well made.

Jeff

Jim Noel
27-Dec-2014, 11:59
I use theatrical gels which come in 12x12" sheets. A piece of scotch tape anchors them behind the lens, which is also cheap. I see no need to spend hard earned money on a high priced gimmick filters in order to put them on the front of the lens where they are more subject to damage and reflections.

Eric Leppanen
27-Dec-2014, 12:43
The Lee 100mm filter system may be an option, using their 115mm press-on filter holder:

http://www.robertwhite.co.uk/filters/lee-filters-system/holders-hoods/lee-filters-100mm-system-115mm-push-on-filter-holder.html

I think it can be ordered in the U.S. as well, but possibly as a special order item.

Please ref my posts in this thread:

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?43206-Lee-Filter-115-Push-on

As far as a hood is concerned, I used a Lee compendium hood with my longer lenses, with the large wide angles I used my hat!

Ari
27-Dec-2014, 14:44
Thanks, everybody; if you have any other suggestions, I'm all ears.

After pricing some of these options, I would probably look for a couple of ND filters that could fit in my compendium.

Or, get a couple of cheap step-up rings off eBay, and one variable ND filter of good quality in a 105mm thread size; there's no point shooting with good glass if the gel or filter in front of it is below acceptable quality.

vinny
27-Dec-2014, 14:56
fyi, variable nd's are nothing more than a couple polarisers (linear).

Tin Can
27-Dec-2014, 15:03
Thanks, everybody; if you have any other suggestions, I'm all ears.

After pricing some of these options, I would probably look for a couple of ND filters that could fit in my compendium.

Or, get a couple of cheap step-up rings off eBay, and one variable ND filter of good quality in a 105mm thread size; there's no point shooting with good glass if the gel or filter in front of it is below acceptable quality.

Is this true? I thought anything close to or on the lens is so out of focus it matters little. Such as dust, small scratches and a lesser filter. Obviously we all want perfect everything, but where is the line drawn on IG with front filters?

Rear filters need to be better? Or so I have read...

Peter De Smidt
27-Dec-2014, 15:33
If behind the lens filters get too thick, then they cause a focus shift. For that purpose it's best to use gelatine or the equally thin polyester filters.

Ari
27-Dec-2014, 16:36
fyi, variable nd's are nothing more than a couple polarisers (linear).

Yes, but the variable NDs are damn convenient. :)

vinny
27-Dec-2014, 17:43
Yes, but the variable NDs are damn convenient. :)

Correct. You spoke of high quality filters though. How much is a name brand variable nd in the size you want if it's even made? $500+?

Jim Andrada
27-Dec-2014, 18:16
I use the variable ND's on my Black Magic video cameras (Mandatory if I want to shoot outdoors in Arizona) - my "real" video cam has switchable ND built in behind the lens.

Yes they're expensive. $300 - $500 IIRC for 82mm. But they do the job that needs to be done. I also use them on my soft focus lens so I can control the exposure independently from the aperture.

Ari
27-Dec-2014, 18:41
Correct. You spoke of high quality filters though. How much is a name brand variable nd in the size you want if it's even made? $500+?

I also thought it would be astronomically priced, but a good-quality 105mm variable ND filter is about $225

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/849775-REG/Hitech_HT105MULTISTOP_105mm_Multistop_Neutral_Density.html

Tin Can
27-Dec-2014, 19:25
I also thought it would be astronomically priced, but a good-quality 105mm variable ND filter is about $225

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/849775-REG/Hitech_HT105MULTISTOP_105mm_Multistop_Neutral_Density.html

Looks good to me, but how do you figure exposure on a VDF when they the markings are not exact? Do people hold the VDF over their meter, then carefully reinstall it.

Obviously this is simple in live view on anything digital, but film?

I also am eager to learn this. I bought a cheapo VDF 77mm that arrived today. $17 delivered. It's does change density over a wide range.

I'm thinking of calibrating it with my DSLR.

Ari
27-Dec-2014, 19:38
With my previous cheap-o VDF I took incident readings with the filter over the light meter.
Not perfectly scientific or 100% accurate, but better than guessing.
Then I marked off the stops directly on the filter ring.

Christopher Barrett
27-Dec-2014, 19:41
Ari, most of the glass I got for my 4x10 have big fronts and I use the Lee system. They have adapter rings up to 105mm and I use 4" filters with it. The built-in hood is a bonus. Pretty happy with all of that.

I also got a variable ND for my Black Magic Pocket Cine, works awesome for dialing in exposure outdoors, but yeah, I have no idea how the markings translate to actual stops.

Liquid Artist
27-Dec-2014, 19:45
I know it doesn't help you now, but I have a couple lensboards with filter holders mounted on the inside Ari, and I am planning on a quick trip to Ottawa in April.
If your around then I'd love to get together with you, and hopefully get out on a photo shoot. You can see them then.

For the most part I've just glued a step up ring on the lens board. It works and was cheap, however I am planning on getting a Cokin filter system mounted on another board and seeing how it works.

Oh, although I don't use them often I also feel that polarizers are indispensable.

Ari
27-Dec-2014, 19:59
Ari, most of the glass I got for my 4x10 have big fronts and I use the Lee system. They have adapter rings up to 105mm and I use 4" filters with it. The built-in hood is a bonus. Pretty happy with all of that.

I also got a variable ND for my Black Magic Pocket Cine, works awesome for dialing in exposure outdoors, but yeah, I have no idea how the markings translate to actual stops.

Thanks, Christopher; I like the Lee system, it looks like a complete package with good-quality components. The only thing I'd worry about would be using that 105mm lens with 4" filters.

I know it doesn't help you now, but I have a couple lensboards with filter holders mounted on the inside Ari, and I am planning on a quick trip to Ottawa in April.
If your around then I'd love to get together with you, and hopefully get out on a photo shoot. You can see them then.

For the most part I've just glued a step up ring on the lens board. It works and was cheap, however I am planning on getting a Cokin filter system mounted on another board and seeing how it works.

Oh, although I don't use them often I also feel that polarizers are indispensable.

LA, if you do come to Ottawa, send me a PM or email beforehand; I'd be very happy to meet up and shoot as well. Just want to make sure I'm not out of town at that time. I'll send you a PM with my email address.
I know the type of lens boards you are referring to; I've seen the same principle applied to Sinar boards, where there was a drop-in slot soldered to the back of the board.

Adamphotoman
27-Dec-2014, 20:55
What about a horseman behind the lens filter holder? Fits 4 inch gels. polyester etc.
I have one
Email me

vinny
27-Dec-2014, 21:16
The vari nd's have numbers which don't mean much unless you have the Heliopan which reads in f stops.

Tin Can
27-Dec-2014, 21:31
My cheapo has marks, no #'s. I'm gonna calibrate withs DSLR and a softbox.

Then waste some X-Ray, cut 8x10 to 4x5.

I find if I set up and shoot with my trays ready in the other room I can almost work like very slow Polaroid.