PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy besides ebay?

Mark Sawyer
19-Dec-2004, 10:57
Okay, we've all been there, bought that, lost that... I'm just wondering if there are any other good sources of used equipment out there.
I do watch Midwest, Adorama, Lens & Repro (expensive!), Glennview, etc. Also the classifieds at apug.org.
Any other places we should all be aware of?

Gem Singer
19-Dec-2004, 11:11
Hi Mark,

Ocasionally, K.E.H., in Atlanta, GA (www.keh.com) has good prices on their previously owned accessories, such as lensboards and filters. However, Midwest has a better selection of cameras (new and used) and beats K.E.H.'s prices on previously owned LF lenses. Keep an eye on Badger Graphics used equipment list. Jeff sometimes has good deals on used equipment. Also, there is a classified section at www. photo.net

Mark Carstens
19-Dec-2004, 11:26
I haven't done business with either of these, so can't write from personal experience, but photogon.com has classified listings and photomarkonline.com (in Arizona) has consignment sale listings accessed through their "used" link.

Bob Salomon
19-Dec-2004, 11:50
Glazers, Keeble & Schuchat, Bear Images, Samys, Silvios, Photo Habitat, Photo Gizzmmo, Ken Mar, Zeff, Quality Camera, Arlington Camera, Helix, Schillers, Mid City, Photo Barn, PPRS, EP Levine are a few more.

John Kasaian
19-Dec-2004, 20:22
You can add Igor's and Equinox to your list.

jnantz
19-Dec-2004, 20:57
the fstops here used to have a pretty active classified area
http://www.thefstop.com/shop/default.asp (http://www.thefstop.com/shop/default.asp)
haven't been there in a while though ...

Isaac Crawford
19-Dec-2004, 21:34
Gandolfi lists used equipment on its page. It's a bit steep right now for US buyers due to the exchange rate, but I got my 5x7 traditional there...

Isaac

Armin Seeholzer
20-Dec-2004, 05:17
Don't forgott Robert White in UK has many times the best prices!
And he really cares about the customer!

Edward (Halifax,NS)
20-Dec-2004, 06:08
I am poor so I can only afford to buy at eBay. I got my 150mm G Claron for $67 and my 210mm Sinaron S for $162. You are not going to find prices like that in any store. If I could afford to spend over $300 for a lens I would buy from KEH. The have fair prices and a good reputation for accurate grading.

Calamity Jane
20-Dec-2004, 08:59
There are a few real bargains on ebay right now - a couple of reasonable camera that look like they will close CHEAP. Too bad I don't need 'em ;-)

Mark Sawyer
20-Dec-2004, 14:48
Ebay seems to have the deals, though I've gotten stung there a few times buying things in "great condition" only to have haze or fungus in the lens or the shutter not working. It's also frustrating bidding and having someone just overbid you less than five seconds before the auction ends. I just lost an 8x10 Kodak Master that way- I bid $976, he bid $986 and got it. Really wanted it, too. Oh well, part of the game...

I'm just wondering is there's any other place I'm missing out on. I've dutifully gone through every place mentioned (about half of them I knew,) but most have little or nothing for 8x10. (Lens and Repro has a Master, but for about twice the ebay price. grrrr...) Only on ebay does there seem to be a constant stream of very varied lf equipment. For someone like me who enjoys an eclectic range of equipment, it's great!

jonathan smith
21-Dec-2004, 02:00
When I was shopping for lf lenses I ran google searches and found quite a few individuals and small camera stores that have selections of lenses, some in shutter and lots of barrel lenses. I didn't save the links, but if you run a google search and persist, check links well beyond the front pages, you will find quite a bit, and some good prices, too.

Good luck.