PDA

View Full Version : N00b Film Handling question...

OffBalance
22-Dec-2014, 21:07
My daughter mentioned she wanted a view camera, so I found a good sub-$100 one for her (Calumet 45NX). I'm totally new to this, as is she. I plan to give it to her for Christmas. I have the needed accessories and a box of film wrapped and under the tree, but one thing has me baffled before I dive into this with her...

How does one handle the exposed film? Is there a second light-proof plastic bag in the film box to put it in as she takes photos? Should she put the tissues between the film sheets after exposure too? And when she sends the film across the country for processing, is it best to send it all in one bag? I want to go through a complete cycle with her before she goes back to college after Christmas.

Sorry for the very basic question but I didn't see this mentioned in the getting started guide here or the Simmons book, and I didn't know how exactly to search for this on the forum!

DG 3313
22-Dec-2014, 21:16
You need an empty film box to get the exposed film to the lab. Shoot me a PM with your contact info and I will send you one.

Don

PS. shoot film and save the boxes!

Sirius Glass
22-Dec-2014, 21:20
OffBalance welcome to APUG

OffBalance
22-Dec-2014, 21:28
Thanks guys for the welcome and the offer! Do the labs normally return the boxes with the negatives?

DG 3313
22-Dec-2014, 21:50
yes

Leszek Vogt
22-Dec-2014, 22:07
Welcome to the forum. Funny, I have the same camera model. I'm presuming you have a lens on the camera. Yes, you need a changing bag or a specially designed "tent" to be able to upload/download the film from the film holder/s. B&H does have http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?N=10015808&InitialSearch=yes&sts=pi these bags to transport film or local lab (like Panda) will likely give you a box or two for this purpose. I'd probably use one dark sleeve inside another, to prevent any accidental exposure from stray light. Eventually, you'll be able to use the box that the film is sold in, but for time being you need to keep the unexposed film in it.

It would be beneficial if she have a practice session or two before she travels. There are several variables that can come to play, such as bellows could leak light, etc, etc. Good luck and let us know how things went.

Les

Sirius Glass
22-Dec-2014, 22:20
Thanks guys for the welcome and the offer! Do the labs normally return the boxes with the negatives?

Request that the box be returned to half insure you get the box back.

lab black
22-Dec-2014, 22:43
I was taught that when sending film to a lab for processing to shoot two exposures of each subject and then to put one set in box #1 and the second set in box #2. I would suggest having each set processed separately to account for any possible lab mishap. Also, I recommend a pair of cotton gloves be utilized for loading and unloading film to minimize the potential of marks on the film made from our finger tips.

vinny
23-Dec-2014, 06:55
Cotton gloves can leave behind fibers from the gloves themselves or from things they've picked up.
Nitrile gloves are a much better option. I always use them when loading film.

Michael E
23-Dec-2014, 09:50
I can't image loading film with gloves on...

As you can see, there are a million ways to do the same thing. Don't let our answers confuse you. To answer your original question: You can ship the film in the holders. This leaves you without holders until your negs return from the lab, but for the first box of film it might be the easiest solution. When I put exposed film back in a box (I process my own film, usually straight from the holders), I discard the black bag and the separating sheets. I just use the box (all three parts) and a rubber band. I'm sure other people do it differently.

Good luck and have fun with that new camera!

Michael

Larry Kellogg
24-Dec-2014, 12:24
I use the black bag in the box as another layer of protection but have the hardest time getting the lab to return the bags. This is only when I do color work, black and white I do myself.

When putting together the three boxes in the tent or changing bag, feel for the label on the box to figure out which is the outer box. It's probably safe the other way, but that's the right way to put the box back together.

OffBalance
24-Dec-2014, 13:45
Thanks Les, yes I got a lens (210mm) in a shutter, a lensboard, changing bag, 2 film holders, cable release, loupe, Simmons book, B+W film, and I sewed her a focusing cloth this morning (I must be the only Dad in the world sewing a Christmas gift for a teenage daughter). The film holders luckily came with a couple sheets of someone else's film, so she'll be able to practice. I'll recommend Panda Lab since it is local and the first round will be B+W. The link to BHPhoto bags was perfect, but wish I had ordered when I bought the film from them!

On further research I believe the camera is a 45N not NX because of the knobs and monorail length. But it does have the nice revolving back that must have been added later. There was no bubble level, but I found one to stick on. The camera was cheap because it was missing the tripod clamp, but I found a way to solve that with stuff in the garage. I'll start another thread on that after Christmas when I can take pix of what I did.

OffBalance
24-Dec-2014, 14:07
Thanks to everyone for all the answers. I think I have this well enough figured out to walk her through the steps. And of course, she can log on here for more info. I did find more info on this topic after doing more searching:

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?34599-New-shooter-has-film-handling-issues

http://www.butzi.net/articles/filmload.htm

David Lobato
24-Dec-2014, 14:36
Warm welcome to the forum. I throw away the tissues that separate the sheets of film in the original box. Nor do I use a plastic bag for the film, the triple combo film boxes do a better job of protection. Either rubber band the box well, at least 2-3 of them, or tape it closed, and clearly mark the film type and number of sheets inside, with her name and address and contact number. The first time you accidentally drop a box of exposed film you will be very grateful it's securely closed.

Don't hesitate to ask more questions. We are glad to help out.

Leszek Vogt
24-Dec-2014, 15:05
Wow, it looks like you're ready to rock-roll with this present. Congrats! Curious to see her reaction.

Couple of things, try to clean the film holders as best as you can, since dust tends to get into everything...and then put them in plastic zip bags. It will help if the film holders are numbered, so you'll have a go-to reference if (for instance) it doesn't sit in the camera properly or leaks light, etc. I presume you already know that each photo (tech details +) will require a notation. Oh, and I have several of these black bags...and if you PM me, I'd let go couple of them (never been used), till she gets some empty 4x5 boxes or B&H could send her a stash.

Nice to see someone young interested in the LF endevor.

Les

Liquid Artist
24-Dec-2014, 17:02
I started off with the same camera / lens size combo.

As for the box, I usually leave the label uncut, and use it as a hinge. That way it's easier keeping track of the order they go.

A windowless bathroom with a towel under the door at night with the house lights off is all you need to load and change film if it's B&W.

Plus developing your own B&W film is easy to do and in my opinion all part of the adventure.
I don't think I'd be happy with most lab results, and keep detailed results on how I developed everything so I can replicate the process easily.

Good luck, and welcome to the forum.