PDA

View Full Version : Bipost flash connector on Compur

CTwist
22-Dec-2014, 03:46
I have recently bought this shutter which comes with what seems to be a bipost flash connector. I haven't actually ever seen anything more than photographs of such connectors, but the posts seem to have a different profile to usual. Before I go out and buy a bipost to PC cable, could someone with a bipost flash connector confirm that the 2 posts are 2.2mm in diameter and separated by 4.2mm, making a total width of 8.6mm? Thanks.

Does anyone know if the flash connector on this Compur might be original? The lens and shutter date to 1929.

Thanks, Charles

Liquid Artist
22-Dec-2014, 05:19
Charles,
Although I can't measure anything up for you now, it doesn't look a whole lot different than my bipost connectors.
However you are right, it doesn't exactly look the same either.

What I can tell you is that if you visit thrift stores, some electric razors came with a plug that fits conventional bipost connectors.

Or you can just do like on this thread, and it'll work on any similar designed shutter.
http://www3.sympatico.ca/dschneller/info/graphexBipost.html

Bob Salomon
22-Dec-2014, 05:23
I have recently bought this shutter which comes with what seems to be a bipost flash connector. I haven't actually ever seen anything more than photographs of such connectors, but the posts seem to have a different profile to usual. Before I go out and buy a bipost to PC cable, could someone with a bipost flash connector confirm that the 2 posts are 2.2mm in diameter and separated by 4.2mm, making a total width of 8.6mm? Thanks.

Does anyone know if the flash connector on this Compur might be original? The lens and shutter date to 1929.

Thanks, Charles

Electronic cheater cords, sold by all electronics stores have they cable.Youmayhave to trim a bit of rubber off the end and side of the connector.

mdarnton
22-Dec-2014, 06:30
The bottom, largest diameter, of my posts is about 1.9mm, the outside spread is 8mm, and the space between is 3.7mm. It sounds like yours are just a bit larger and farther apart. A standard cord might fit if you have a large enough hammer, otherwise, probably not. I find the Paramount cords are quite tight and so I usually don't put them on and off if I can't help it; I don't think one would fit what you have described.

I just tried a Braun rechargeable razor cord on my lens, and it's pretty loose--really too loose to work. Maybe that's what your setup was made for. Measuring, I think it would work. That gets you one end of the cord, unless you happen to have an old household-plug flash, too. :-)

I like LA's alligator clip link, above, best, though.

CTwist
22-Dec-2014, 09:38
Thanks for the info: it's a murky world. It seems the razor connectors are typically Female IEC320 C7 but they seem the wrong size to fit any of our measurements - see http://www.stayonline.com/documents/C7-USA-cUL-CSA.pdf . So I'd have to hunt for connectors on a one-by-one case. The alligator clips suddenly seem enticing.

The two posts of a cheater cord seem to be different sizes. Or have I got the wrong cheater cord?

Thanks for your help.

mdarnton
22-Dec-2014, 10:12
Or if you were the handyman type, you could slit two pieces of slightly-small brass tubing, solder leads to them, slide them on the contacts you have to establish the spacing and alignment, then bury them artistically in this stuff: http://sugru.com/
It's sort of like a rubber epoxy type stuff: mix it, shape it, and it cures into a rubber thing.

By the way, in case you had any doubts, that looks like a basement job. Back when, even little repair shops had the right stock plugs to mount for upgrading to sync.

CTwist
7-Jan-2015, 02:59
I like the Sugru idea so I'll make an adaptor with a PC socket and a pair of crimps.

Yes it is obviously a retrofit, but it looked so neat, I was curious to know whether it might not have been installed by Compur.

Sevo
7-Jan-2015, 03:33
Positively after-market, as there was no shutter-side flash sync in 1929 (if they did sync at all back then, the camera was released from the flash grip). Shutter sync became a necessity with the (1938) invention of the Xenon flash, but did not take off in the market until after WWII. DIY, as the case seems coarsely cut - regular conversion kits were mass produced.