PDA

View Full Version : WTB: affordable tripod for my 4x5

jzakko
20-Dec-2014, 16:15
Hey guys, I've had my wista vx for a little over a month now. I've had a super cheap slik 500DX that I used for my other cameras like my bronica and bolex, and have had a difficult time getting steady images with long exposures. I posted about it a while ago, but since I've taken more pics since then, you guys can check out this link for reference, the image links are in the comments:

http://www.reddit.com/r/analog/comments/2pl18j/more_4x5_i_cant_get_those_long_exposures_right_mic/?sort=top

What's a good tripod to buy to ensure sharpness? I'm trying to spend as little as possible without sacrificing necessary quality, I'd put my ceiling at around $300. Do most tripods ideal for LF not come with a head? If that's the case, what would be a solid and affordable head?

Also, just to make sure, the bellows catching wind and shaking up the image is a problem completely separate from the tripod, correct? I suppose I'll just have to do a double team of a better tripod and an umbrella to shield the camera from wind.

Thanks for everything, this forum is a goldmine of a resource.

Ari
20-Dec-2014, 17:08
I used to have an Induro tripod, it was the heavier aluminum version, but at least it was steady.
They are priced well and offer a decent warranty.
Build quality has improved, as well.

Alan Gales
20-Dec-2014, 17:18
You can buy a used Marchioni or Leitz Tiltall for less than $100.00 and it comes with a head. I own one.

Used Gitzo aluminum tripods are nice. Add a head of your choice.

A used Berlebach tripod is nice if you like wood. If you get one with the center ball you may not even want a head.

jzakko
20-Dec-2014, 17:20
looking around there were some more expensive ones over 300 without a head, but then I saw this one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Induro-AKP0-Tripod-with-3-Way-Pan-Head-Kit-/161528671614?pt=US_Tripods&hash=item259bdbed7e
is that sufficient for long exposures on windy (not hurricane wind or anything, but a fair breeze) days?

jzakko
20-Dec-2014, 17:22
looking at marchionis, it seems many of them are branded as tiltall, were the two companies associated? Is marchioni a line of tiltalls?

Alan Gales
20-Dec-2014, 17:25
looking at marchionis, it seems many of them are branded as tiltall, were the two companies associated? Is marchioni a line of tiltalls?

From my understanding the Marchionis brothers originally designed and made the Tiltall and sold it under their name. Later they sold the rights to Leitz. Both were very well made.

Now a Chinese firm owns the name and the quality standards are not the best.

jzakko
20-Dec-2014, 17:32
do you know where this one would fall in quality?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271460355610?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Alan Gales
20-Dec-2014, 17:35
My main tripod is a wooden Ries J100 with J250 double tilt head. Come to think of it, I did pay $250.00 plus shipping for mine used off Ebay but I got a pretty nice deal.

jzakko
20-Dec-2014, 17:38
yeah, i'd love a ries, but the only one on ebay currently is brand new with a manfrotto head and everything, bit out of my price range

Alan Gales
20-Dec-2014, 17:40
do you know where this one would fall in quality?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271460355610?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

It's a Marchioni. Some say that they were the best of the Tiltalls. I own a Leitz Tiltall and I heard that the Marchioni was a little bit better quality. I would look for either one and let price and condition be your guide.

Ari
20-Dec-2014, 18:33
looking around there were some more expensive ones over 300 without a head, but then I saw this one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Induro-AKP0-Tripod-with-3-Way-Pan-Head-Kit-/161528671614?pt=US_Tripods&hash=item259bdbed7e
is that sufficient for long exposures on windy (not hurricane wind or anything, but a fair breeze) days?

No, that seems like very low-end stuff.
I was thinking, at a minimum, this is what I'd recommend from Induro: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?N=10655224&InitialSearch=yes&sts=pi
Their next largest tripod is the AT413, but that would be more suitable for 8x10.

Jim Jones
20-Dec-2014, 19:40
I've owned Tiltalls labeled Marchioni, Leitz, and Star D, and found all to be reliable. A plastic handle on one broke when the tripod fell onto a cement parking lot, but that was no big problem.

Bill_1856
20-Dec-2014, 19:47
I've always thought that the best reasonably priced tripods for 4x5 are the Leitz TILTALL, and SLIK Pro700 DX, which is a step up from what you've got now. Both have excellent built-in heads. The Tiltall has twist grips, the Slik has flip locks (which I prefer) and a unique quick-release system. Either should last a lifetime.
Probably just over $100.

kmack
20-Dec-2014, 21:11
I'm going to have to agree with Ari on this. I have an Induro (the AT213) and it has served me well with my 5x7 on some moderately long exposures. I have even used it with my 8x10 in a pinch but only indoors or very mid conditions.

scheinfluger_77
23-Dec-2014, 17:36
I used to have an Induro tripod, it was the heavier aluminum version, but at least it was steady.
They are priced well and offer a decent warranty.
Build quality has improved, as well.

This is good to hear, particularly from you. I've had my eye on this brand for awhile. (I like yours though too) :)

Ari
27-Dec-2014, 09:51
This is good to hear, particularly from you. I've had my eye on this brand for awhile. (I like yours though too) :)

My pleasure; FLM tripods are not inexpensive, but that doesn't mean that there are no decent and low-priced tripods available.

I had the Induro AT413 aluminum tripod; it is, by my reckoning, a middleweight. It was ok for carrying over-the-shoulder for a while, but not for too long, certainly not all day.
It could support my Toyo 810G monorail very well, and was a welcome relief from the crappy-and-unbelievably-heavy Manfrotto (10-12lbs) I had been using.
It was built well enough and had a 5-year warranty, but the warranty was not really useful.

After about 6 months of using it, I noticed a slight wobble in the tripod plate/center post area. I disassembled it, tightened a couple of screws and it was ok until the next time, when the problem would re-appear.
And whenever I would remove the centre column to invert it, a retaining ring inside the tripod would pop out; eventually I removed the ring, and this made re-inserting the centre column very difficult, but still possible.
I took it back to the store that sold it to me; they told me I could send the tripod in for repair/replacement to China, but Induro couldn't (or wouldn't) send me a replacement part.
That meant being without a tripod for an unknown period of time. I ended up selling the tripod with the caveat, and for much less than I paid for it.
Maybe Induro has improved this area of their repair/customer service, along with their build quality.

If you go that route, know what you're getting into. In the long run, it's cheaper and better to buy a good tripod once, and for life, than to buy an average tripod three or four times over.
Good luck!

Alan Gales
27-Dec-2014, 11:28
In the long run, it's cheaper and better to buy a good tripod once, and for life, than to buy an average tripod three or four times over.

Amen!

Lenny Eiger
27-Dec-2014, 11:49
It depends on where you want to go. There appear to be two types of people that shoot outside, those that don't want to venture more than 100 feet from the car, and those who want to photographs things that other people haven't seen, or at least not noticed. That takes some walking, maybe a willingness to go 1-10 miles form the car.

I use Gitzo's because I am in the latter category.. and weight is important to me. I can't stand Tiltall's, I think they are awful, they weigh a ton, and they pinch your fingers nastily if you don't watch out. I dislike those 15 lb wooden tripods as well, for the same reasons. Bear in mind, these are personal opinions, there are plenty of people who love these things.... but they usually like to walk less from the car... (usually, not always).

You will be able to do nothing about the wind, save some sort of windbreak, like an umbrella, or a group of 3 or 4 friends. The tripod won't make a difference. I had a good friend, also a photographer, whose teacher brought in a 100 lb rock that he attached a laser pointer to, to make this point. It was in a city, but in the center of a large building. He pointed it so that the pointer was on the wall and it was clear that it wasn't that stable...

My own opinion is that all tripods work. They are just more or less convenient when it comes to opening the legs, etc. I don't need something that auto-levels the head, but some people do. I especially like the Gitzo legs that lock so you can loosen one part of the leg without having to lock all the others. It's quite ingenious. However, some days I wish Gitzo would make a tripod with levers because that looks even easier... I also like a three way head for 4x5, also I like the ball head for med format, which I rarely do...

The For Sale section here has lots of great used equipment. Plenty of tripods have gone buy in recent months. I'd say take your time. As you get older, you tend to collect the perfect camera, the perfect lens, light meter and tripod. If you do them one at a time you can amortize the cost over a lot of years...

Best of luck,

Lenny

Bill_1856
27-Dec-2014, 12:32
I can't stand Tiltall's, .... they weigh a ton, and they pinch your fingers nastily if you don't watch out.Lenny

Actually, they only weigh 6# including the head (you'll have to spend a lot of money to get anything lighter), and yes, they will pinch your fingers -- TWICE, and then you'll learn something and believe me it won't happen again.
They're still the best for the buck.

Amfooty
27-Dec-2014, 13:41
They're still the best for the buck.

I agree with this--the build quality is great and it has plenty of support weight. Yes it is heavy and uncomfortable to carry but it's hard to beat for $40.

Leszek Vogt
27-Dec-2014, 14:37
I'd go with a good carbon fiber type and 3-legged solution & w/o the middle column....it does wonders for stability. After several years, I still like the Feisol (4.5 lbs) that I have. If you hike longer distances (longer than 100' ;)) your back will thank you. You can add rocks/water/sand from the middle, while you are in the field....for even more stability.

Les

jzakko
28-Dec-2014, 09:26
Thanks guys. I ended up going with the induro AT313 that Ari recommended along with the Manfrotto MHXPRO 3-Way head.

Ari
28-Dec-2014, 10:07
Thanks guys. I ended up going with the induro AT313 that Ari recommended along with the Manfrotto MHXPRO 3-Way head.

Good luck with the new set-up!