PDA

View Full Version : Raising your vantage point

Larry Gebhardt
20-Dec-2014, 16:14
I'm looking for ideas on how to get the camera up higher than my eye height when I'm standing on the ground.

When I had my truck I have stood at various times in the bed or on the cap. Both have worked ok, but it wasn't the most stable platform for longer exposures. Plus I sold the truck. But it was about the height I'm aiming for, which is placing the camera 8 to 12 feet off the ground.

I imagine I can find a tall tripod and carry a step ladder in the car. I've also considered a taller ladder and placing a tripod head on the top step, but I'm concerned about stability with me also standing on the camera platform.

Ideally anything should be easy to transport and setup. But I don't expect to hike with this setup. It's more to get a better vantage point over obstacles such as cars and crowds.

So let's hear your ingenious ideas. Preferably ideas backed up with experience.

mdarnton
20-Dec-2014, 17:24
This one's missing some critical bits (mainly the crank for the elevator) but I used to have one. It was incredibly stiff and sturdy, very easily took 4x5, probably would have been fine with 5x7 and maybe even 8x10, and as far as height . . . . check out the last two photos in the ad:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Soligor-Quick-Set-Husky-Hi-Boy-Tripod-4-Section-Made-in-USA-/290949930093?pt=US_Tripods&hash=item43bdf79c6d

They come up often on Ebay. Here's another, complete:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Vintage-4-section-Professional-Photography-Quick-Set-Husky-Hi-Boy-IV-Tripod-/251763296164?pt=US_Tripods&hash=item3a9e4307a4

They're less stiff at full height, but you probably won't use it up there that often. Lower down it's the toughest, least elegant tripod I've ever used. If you get one, be sure it has the 3-way head.

lenser
20-Dec-2014, 17:54
Majestic makes one that easily elevates to 9 feet, maybe more.....I never measured mine. Relatively light and quite sturdy. Can handle anything up to and beyond 8x10. It has a double column with a very strong crank system that can elevate the full camera weight with ease. Found mine at a garage sale and have seen many on ebay.

Old-N-Feeble
20-Dec-2014, 18:05
I've considered using an A-frame ladder with a Manfrotto Magic Arm attached to the tripod socket of the camera plus one or two others attached to the camera to stabilize it further. How practical that is I don't know. I haven't tried it.

C. D. Keth
20-Dec-2014, 19:31
Tripod heads attach with 3/8-16 screws. You could very easily just bolt your head to a ladder.

Bill_1856
20-Dec-2014, 19:34
St. Ansel's most important contribution to photography was the Car Platform, not the Zone System.

Larry Gebhardt
20-Dec-2014, 19:35
This one's missing some critical bits (mainly the crank for the elevator) but I used to have one. It was incredibly stiff and sturdy, very easily took 4x5, probably would have been fine with 5x7 and maybe even 8x10, and as far as height . . . . check out the last two photos in the ad:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Soligor-Quick-Set-Husky-Hi-Boy-Tripod-4-Section-Made-in-USA-/290949930093?pt=US_Tripods&hash=item43bdf79c6d

They come up often on Ebay. Here's another, complete:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Vintage-4-section-Professional-Photography-Quick-Set-Husky-Hi-Boy-IV-Tripod-/251763296164?pt=US_Tripods&hash=item3a9e4307a4

They're less stiff at full height, but you probably won't use it up there that often. Lower down it's the toughest, least elegant tripod I've ever used. If you get one, be sure it has the 3-way head.

Thanks, I didn't know that model existed. It looks decent and would probably be high enough for my uses, though I worry about stability with the column extended.

Larry Gebhardt
20-Dec-2014, 19:36
Majestic makes one that easily elevates to 9 feet, maybe more.....I never measured mine. Relatively light and quite sturdy. Can handle anything up to and beyond 8x10. It has a double column with a very strong crank system that can elevate the full camera weight with ease. Found mine at a garage sale and have seen many on ebay.

Do you know the model number that reaches 9 feet? Most I've found don't go that high.

Larry Gebhardt
20-Dec-2014, 19:37
Tripod heads attach with 3/8-16 screws. You could very easily just bolt your head to a ladder.

Have you tried this? Are there issues with being on the ladder that's also holding the camera. I worry about moving the ladder during a couple second exposure.

Richard Wasserman
20-Dec-2014, 19:49
Why do you need to be on the ladder? Get a long pneumatic release and you're in business. I've think an A Frame ladder should work well for this, if you have a vehicle large enough to transport the ladder.

Have you tried this? Are there issues with being on the ladder that's also holding the camera. I worry about moving the ladder during a couple second exposure.

Larry Gebhardt
20-Dec-2014, 19:55
Why do you need to be on the ladder? Get a long pneumatic release and you're in business. I've think an A Frame ladder should work well for this, if you have a vehicle large enough to transport the ladder.

Good point. I hadn't thought of a pneumatic release. I'll get one and try out the ladder idea.

Bruce Osgood
20-Dec-2014, 20:04
I have a hard case to carry my 4X5 and I can stand on it to get 12 more inches of elevation

Tim Meisburger
20-Dec-2014, 21:30
This is a very interesting thread. I've been thinking about how I could get higher in Cambodia. Last time I was in Phnom Penh I shot the Independence Monument at night (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?101313-Show-Me-Your-Night-Shots!/page14). It sits in the centre of a traffic circle, but standing I was too low to get anything more that horizontal headlight trails. If I could get higher I imagine I would see the trails as an oval, and it might improve the shot.

Talking about getting higher and seeing trails somehow reminds me of the seventies...

lenser
20-Dec-2014, 22:13
Larry, I sold mine several months ago and can't remember the model number. Wish a hadn't done that, but it seemed wise at the time.

Bencher (manufacturer) currently offers the 6500 series which they claim goes to 93 inches (add the head and you've got about another 7 inches which would have it just short of nine feet.

I am basing my measurement on the fact that I had a garage with 11 foot ceilings and the top of the head with all extensions made, came within 2 feet of the ceiling itself.

Tin Can
20-Dec-2014, 22:23
Old twin tube biggest Linhof tripods show up, I have 2. They are rated at 45lbs. Can extend up a far bit, then wind a crank and center post goes up and for 30 more inches there is a center post
extension. All very HD.

I have never put it all up, but it's got to be 8 feet of heavy metal, then add the girder dolly.

B&H still sells it new, mine is from the 50's. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/31648-REG/Linhof_003323_Heavy_Duty_Pro_Tripod.html

That part is 5 feet, then add the $1200 center post which B&H has, but I see the extension is not sold. Adding the very heavy tall Linhof movie pan head adds almost a foot.

You can find them used, nobody wants them. Too heavy duty.

I notice the B&H price is down $2K from $5K to a mere $3K.

I use mine with the dolly, it's set up right now.

Rent a motorhome with the roof walkway.

Tin Can
20-Dec-2014, 22:25
This is a very interesting thread. I've been thinking about how I could get higher in Cambodia. Last time I was in Phnom Penh I shot the Independence Monument at night (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?101313-Show-Me-Your-Night-Shots!/page14). It sits in the centre of a traffic circle, but standing I was too low to get anything more that horizontal headlight trails. If I could get higher I imagine I would see the trails as an oval, and it might improve the shot.

Talking about getting higher and seeing trails somehow reminds me of the seventies...

LOL, I was hoping you remembered. Some don't.

Kirk Gittings
20-Dec-2014, 23:21
Gordon Hutchins used one of these with his tripod head mounted on the top. http://www.gemplers.com/product/WEB146886/Aluminum-Fruit-picking-Ladder

Keith Pitman
20-Dec-2014, 23:38
For every problem, there is a solution.

Kirk Gittings
20-Dec-2014, 23:49
I made some leg extensions a bit like that for my Manfrotto. I experimented with wood, aluminum and galvanized pipe. The galvanized pipe weighed a ton but the weight was necessary to get a solid stand.

Alan Gales
21-Dec-2014, 00:21
Gordon Hutchins used one of these with his tripod head mounted on the top. http://www.gemplers.com/product/WEB146886/Aluminum-Fruit-picking-Ladder

I'm sorry, Kirk, but that ladder just doesn't look right. :confused:

Tin Can
21-Dec-2014, 01:02
I'm sorry, Kirk, but that ladder just doesn't look right. :confused:

I'm sure that ladder would work. Fruit pickers work on them all day long.

What could go wrong...

But Adorama has a cheaper than Linhof solution.

My latest Adorama mini catalog showed this.Professional Octocopter
Weighing approximately 4kg with a maximum takeoff weight of about 11kg, the S1000 can easily carry equipment as heavy as a 5D mark 3. Used with a 6S 15000mAh battery it can fly for up to 15 minutes. (http://www.adorama.com/DJIS10005D3.html)

It could carry a 8x10 camera!

Larry Gebhardt
21-Dec-2014, 05:35

That's a lovely shot as it is. I'm not sure it would be better if taken from higher up, but it's worth a try.

;)

Larry Gebhardt
21-Dec-2014, 05:37

What could go wrong...

But Adorama has a cheaper than Linhof solution.

My latest Adorama mini catalog showed this.Professional Octocopter
Weighing approximately 4kg with a maximum takeoff weight of about 11kg, the S1000 can easily carry equipment as heavy as a 5D mark 3. Used with a 6S 15000mAh battery it can fly for up to 15 minutes. (http://www.adorama.com/DJIS10005D3.html)

It could carry a 8x10 camera!

I imagine the you could get quite the buzz cut trying to focus the 8x10 with that rig.

I do like the looks of the fruit picker ladder.

C. D. Keth
21-Dec-2014, 10:05

Yeah, I have tried it. You just don't move during exposure, same as with being in a building with creaky wood floors or on top of a car platform.

Alan Gales
21-Dec-2014, 12:07

What could go wrong...

I don't know, Randy. It just doesn't look safe to me. Besides, fruit pickers are easily replaceable.

This is much safer: http://www.jlg.com/en/equipment/engine-powered-boom-lifts/telescopic

Jac@stafford.net
21-Dec-2014, 13:25
Apple Boxes are handy (http://blog.kupogrip.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/Apple_Box_Comp.jpg).

Kirk Gittings
21-Dec-2014, 13:34
I used his a little bit and it worked fine. As a three legged ladder it is very stable on most ground.

Heroique
21-Dec-2014, 13:37
Here's an image with several ideas.

Tripods, ladders, wedges, hills...

Note how one leg of the tripod is resting on one step of the ladder.

No matter the method, if you get high with your camera, please be careful!

"I was shooting the 35mm hand-held version of the view," Norman McGrath explains, "so I could get even higher on the ladder than was possible with my 4x5, tripod-mounted camera. Be warned, it's easy to become giddy in a situation such as this one."

HMG
21-Dec-2014, 19:07
I haven't tried them as a camera stand, but I do like the Little Giant telescoping ladders in terms of stability.

vinny
21-Dec-2014, 20:15
The BFT.
Nothing convienant about it. I've been considering the fruit ladder option for several years.

Michael Roberts
22-Dec-2014, 08:50
Ries makes leg extenders for their tripods. With the leg extenders on my old 1930s model Ries, I need a step ladder like Vinny's (BFT indeed!). Without the leg extenders, I use an ordinary two-step step-stool when I need to shoot over an obstruction or get a little more elevation for some other reason. Particularly, for the 11x14, I need/prefer a little more height so I don't have to stop down as much or focus closer to get the foreground in focus.

scheinfluger_77
23-Dec-2014, 17:31
I haven't tried them as a camera stand, but I do like the Little Giant telescoping ladders in terms of stability.

I was going to suggest this, they are very stable, well built and you can get a step through platform for the rungs.
https://www.littlegiantladder.com/?source=gg-branded&gclid=CK2ywaW23cICFeVj7Aod_SYARw

richardman
23-Dec-2014, 18:27
At 5'4", height is an "issue." At least we are now equally short if the goal is 10 feet high.

Larry Gebhardt
23-Dec-2014, 19:11
I've got a knock-off of the Little Giant ladders. It's a nice stable ladder, but there's no platform at the top. I'm now looking at building a platform that affixes quickly to the top rungs to hold a tripod head. I hope to finish it and try it out this weekend.

Jim Andrada
25-Dec-2014, 14:18
+1 on the Ries extensions. I've gotten a camera up close to 10 feet by being bad and extending the legs of the tripod itself - I think they don't really want you doing it when you have the extensions clamped on but it worked just fine for me. Also thought about the fruit picking ladders.

Gudmundur Ingolfsson
26-Dec-2014, 04:54
A FOBA tripod is the solution. I have a forty years old Foba C-40 tripod with three double Combitubes that reaches 10'+ with my Norma head. For every 3' you want go higher you need three more normal size Combitubes, one for each leg.The FOBA company does not make the C 40 any more but those can be found on EBay. They however make a very exspensive new model (that seems fantastic) that can go as high as you want with the Combitubes added.

Jeicob
26-Dec-2014, 06:25
http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffgallery/gallery/32563/U32563I1296138712.SEQ.0.jpg

Lenny Eiger
27-Dec-2014, 11:55
How about this?

Tin Can
27-Dec-2014, 12:23
Hollywood does it all the time. Camera cars here. (http://www.shotmaker.com/index.html)

Larry Gebhardt
27-Dec-2014, 12:55
I'm not sure the budget will stretch to cover a bucket truck or camera car. But they look fun to play with.

Larry Gebhardt
27-Dec-2014, 12:56
http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffgallery/gallery/32563/U32563I1296138712.SEQ.0.jpg

That looks nice. What type of camera is that?

Richard Wasserman
27-Dec-2014, 13:54
Sinar Handy

That looks nice. What type of camera is that?

Lenny Eiger
27-Dec-2014, 14:43
I'm not sure the budget will stretch to cover a bucket truck or camera car. But they look fun to play with.

Well, far be it from me to suggest a $20K truck when two ladders and a platform would suffice.... I did know someone who picked up one of these at auction for very little. It had a column in the back that went straight up for about 25 feet. Of course, I'm guessing it used enough gas so you wouldn't want to go very far anyway.... and it was a truck, so not very comfortable to ride around in...

Lenny

Jim Andrada
27-Dec-2014, 22:23
While raising your vantage point don't forget to watch out for power lines. Bad things can happen.

William Whitaker
28-Dec-2014, 10:32
Here's one of Ezra Stoller competing for the Darwin award: http://news.esto.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/96ES02.002.jpg

Jim Andrada
28-Dec-2014, 20:07

Costs less than a new Linhof Technika

Larry Gebhardt
28-Dec-2014, 20:58

I can't afford the Linhof either :(

Jim Andrada
30-Dec-2014, 23:02
Neither can I but somehow I've would up with 5 of them in 4 x 5, 5 x 7, and 8 x 10.

Darin Boville
31-Dec-2014, 01:44
The Majestic is fairly stable at 9 feet. One of the columns is also air-cushioned which is nice of you loosen the wrong knob with you camera way up there. I just retightened and re-lubed mine and it works perfectly despite being as old as I am (probably). Can't remember the model number--it's not here with me right now.

The real problem is how to get the photographer up there...

--Darin

toyotadesigner
31-Dec-2014, 06:38

But at least in Europe you can rent these lifts everywhere for small money. Or even secured trucks with lifts, with a platform that is isolated from the ground to prevent electrical shock. Cost per hour is around 120 Euro incl. driver.

smithdoor
31-Dec-2014, 06:48
I like this low cost and portable
Also will go any were
On the down side need light weight photographer or just have the wife take photo

Dave

Jim Andrada
1-Jan-2015, 23:24
You can rent them everywhere in the US as well. Moving them to where you want to use them can be a bit of a problem though.

Tin Can
2-Jan-2015, 00:35
Of course they can be deadly as this article explains (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5736851).

toyotadesigner
2-Jan-2015, 00:49
Of course they can be deadly

This is America. Nobody reads the manual or safety regulations. Someone with common sense and a healthy brain would never use those lifts in strong wind conditions. I already see the large stickers on the lifts:

Do Not Use In Wind. Use at your own risk. Children under 16 must be accompanied by their parents. No SMS or Twitter allowed during operation.

And so on...

Tin Can
2-Jan-2015, 01:06
Did you read the story? The kid was scared to death, but football must go on. Just following orders.

toyotadesigner
2-Jan-2015, 23:49
Yes, I read the story. The kid was scared to death, but nobody could imagine that, nobody got him back to ground.

The show is more important than a life. I see what you mean.

Racer X 69
6-Jan-2015, 12:19

I'd like to see the photograph made during that setup. :rolleyes:

Racer X 69
6-Jan-2015, 12:52
This is America. Nobody reads the manual or safety regulations. Someone with common sense and a healthy brain would never use those lifts in strong wind conditions. I already see the large stickers on the lifts:

Do Not Use In Wind. Use at your own risk. Children under 16 must be accompanied by their parents. No SMS or Twitter allowed during operation.

And so on...

For 30 years I worked at an electric utility performing maintenance and repairs on aerial work platforms (we used to call then "manlifts" until the Word Police came along). My primary job was to perform monthly inspections on the lifts to ensure the safety of the men and women who used them everyday to keep the lights on. The job was similar to that of an A&P, having responsibility for equipment that absolutely must be perfect, all the time.

The part of the job I enjoyed the most was the test flight of the unit after the inspection was complete. I usually timed it for just about sunset each evening. The view was always spectacular.

Some units would take two linemen as high as 220 feet, while standing in a fiberglass bucket at the end of a fiberglass boom. This was of course mounted to a truck that had outriggers at four corners, and there were not only the commensurate decals and operator's manuals warning about use of them in winds exceeding 20mph, the state and federal working rules also addressed use in high winds.

There was also a crane mounted on a class 8 truck that would go as high as 250 feet with a 25 foot swing out jib. That unit had a basket for two linemen to work from, but only had controls in the turret mounted control cab, so the guys in the basket had to rely on the guy down below for their safety. This rig was not electrically insulated like the others, being of all steel construction.

Robert Langham
2-Feb-2015, 15:23
Landscape photography is like the 60s....you just can't seem to get high enough.

Peter Gomena
3-Feb-2015, 13:53
Bogen/Manfrotto used to make a really big tripod, very sturdy. I owned one once, seem to remember it would get you up to about 12 feet. Sturdy enough for 8x10.

Kirk Gittings
3-Feb-2015, 18:10
Landscape photography is like the 60s....you just can't seem to get high enough.

:)