PDA

View Full Version : Chamonix Iris-Mount for Lenses?

Mark Sawyer
19-Dec-2014, 12:35
I was just curious if anyone had tried one of these yet, and how it compares to the older versions?

http://www.chamonixviewcamera.com/irislensboard.html

Jim C.
19-Dec-2014, 13:08
It doesn't look that different than the old ones and the mechanics of it should be the same as the old
iris clamps, so I would assume they'll function the same, materials on the other hand are another story.

Price seems good too for a new one.

The Chamonix Iris mount has some dimpling in the leaves, probably wouldn't affect use but they could have
at least used a better sample for their promo.

Steven Tribe
19-Dec-2014, 14:36
It is an exact copy of the mechanical design of the old brass/steel versions. Perhaps someone read a thread here about 3 years ago.

I assume this is a combined lens board/iris - that's what the ad copy says. A good idea.

Mark Sawyer
19-Dec-2014, 15:09
I think it's just the mount, not a lensboard too, as the copy says "it can be used on the Sinar style lensboard". The photos look like just a mount, although it has "lensboard" cast into it. Maybe just a Chinese-English translation problem.

As popular as the hundred-year-old iris mounts are, I'm surprised we don't hear more about these new ones. They also don't seem to have impacted the price of the old ones, making me wonder a little...

Hugo Zhang
19-Dec-2014, 18:59
The story is that I had an old one and one of the knobs was broken so I sent it back to the factory for a repair. They found out that many people in China asking for this so they decided to make a copy of my old one. It took a year and they made a batch of 100 and half of them were gone in a few weeks inside China.

Not many people know we have this. You have to look for it in our website. The $315 price does not come with a lens board which you can purchase with it and we can mount it on it and ship them together.

Roger Thoms
19-Dec-2014, 19:18
The story is that I had an old one and one of the knobs was broken so I sent it back to the factory for a repair. They found out that many people in China asking for this so they decided to make a copy of my old one. It took a year and they made a batch of 100 and half of them were gone in a few weeks inside China.

Not many people know we have this. You have to look for it in our website. The $315 price does not come with a lens board which you can purchase with it and we can mount it on it and ship them together.

So are these a stock item? Also what materials are they made from. From looking at them on the Chamonix site I couldn't tell if the housing was plastic or aluminum.

Roger

Jim Graves
19-Dec-2014, 20:18
What are they made of?

The iris leaves in the display photo look awfully rough.

Hugo Zhang
19-Dec-2014, 20:23
Iris is made of steel and the housing is made of aluminum. Yes we have them in stock and I use one right now and it is better made than my previous one.

Roger Thoms
19-Dec-2014, 21:30
Iris is made of steel and the housing is made of aluminum. Yes we have them in stock and I use one right now and it is better made than my previous one.

Hugo, Thanks for the info. I do recall seeing your post with the Iris-Mount and a very nice looking shutter box a while back.

Roger

Oren Grad
19-Dec-2014, 23:33
That is extremely cool. I'm delighted to see someone making these again.

pierre506
20-Dec-2014, 02:15
It's a good option and a fair price~
The diameter of it is quite big.
Enjoy it~

mdarnton
20-Dec-2014, 07:01
Man, why couldn't someone have said something about this about two months ago, before I started making boards for every lens I have for the various cameras I use. Now that the project is finally done. . . . this . . . :-(

Roger Thoms
20-Dec-2014, 08:57
I was just curious if anyone had tried one of these yet, and how it compares to the older versions?

http://www.chamonixviewcamera.com/irislensboard.html

Mark, thanks for posting this, I had seen these a while ago and had been considering one. Just hadn't got around to inquiring about it. Mine is now on order. :)

Hugo was great to deal with btw.

Roger

Tin Can
20-Dec-2014, 09:01
Man, why couldn't someone have said something about this about two months ago, before I started making boards for every lens I have for the various cameras I use. Now that the project is finally done. . . . this . . . :-(

I only noticed it on the website 2 weeks ago.

Jim Noel
20-Dec-2014, 10:32
I saw one Hugo had at the ULF Southern California gathering.It looks great, and functions very smoothly.The price is certainly right when compared with asking prices for old brass ones.