PDA

View Full Version : I'm interested in your opinion of this lens

scheinfluger_77
19-Dec-2014, 07:18
http://www.ebay.com/itm/221613489534?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

It's a Velostigmat series II 162/4.5. After seeing some of the work with Velostigmats here and elsewhere I'd like to try one of them. It looks like it's missing its mounting flange. How tough are those to come by?

As for what I'm using it for, anything. Mostly I do landscapes but I'm just interested in trying out different things. This one is more or less in my budget at the moment. Thanks.

Steve

uphereinmytree
19-Dec-2014, 08:11
It's a coated lens so the contrast should be a bit better than older ones. I've had luck in moving the front elements away from each other for some softness with 7.5" velostigmats. Jim Galli has sample images and a write up from the 7.5" velo series II. ( Thanks Jim) It will likely cover 4x5 well enough. please keep in mind that I don't know for certain that a 162mm velo will do the same, but it should be the same lens design. those shutters usually need some cleaning, and will often come back to life with a bit of tlc. if the seller could confirm the state of the shutter, it may be worth the money, but if the shutter is busted beyond repair, keep looking

mdarnton
19-Dec-2014, 09:12
Being coated, is this lens any different from the 162mm Raptar? I don't really think so, but I'm open to correction. The Raptar, and also as the Optar, shows up on Ebay regularly for half that price, in a better shutter.

See http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?57385-Velostigmat-Series-II-Info-and-Images for history.
As one of the shorter lengths, it won't have the diffusion adjustment, of course.

Dan Fromm
19-Dec-2014, 09:26
Steve, if you want to play and can afford to play (no doubt about that), don't let the naysayers, me included, deter you.

There are better Tessar types than Wolly Ser. IIs. In the range of focal lengths you're thinking about the 150/5.6 Xenar may be the best.

Bill_1856
19-Dec-2014, 10:21
The "standard" lens on my 4x5 Crown Graphic is a 162mm f:4.5 Raptar in Wollensak shutter. Excellent lens, with good coverage. I don't know what it's doing in that huge old Alpax shutter. I think that the price is high for an uncoated lens.

Louis Pacilla
19-Dec-2014, 10:52
The "standard" lens on my 4x5 Crown Graphic is a 162mm f:4.5 Raptar in Wollensak shutter. Excellent lens, with good coverage. I don't know what it's doing in that huge old Alpax shutter. I think that the price is high for an uncoated lens.

This was a very late Velostigmat before the Raptar renaming and was probably among the 1st to receive coating (WOCOTED) & is marked as such.

The Alphax shutter was Wollensaks self cocking shutter and one of the BEST of the time frame. The Rapax was made at the same time by Wollensk and was the shutter which you manually cocked. The two offered or met different needs one self cocking, one manually cocked and because of this the spring could be stronger allowing faster top speeds to be reached. This made it a better choice for hand/press camera users. While The Alphax was favored by studio workers most times.

Bill_1856
19-Dec-2014, 11:54
This was a very late Velostigmat before the Raptar renaming and was probably among the 1st to receive coating (WOCOTED) & is marked as such.

The Alphax shutter was Wollensaks self cocking shutter and one of the BEST of the time frame. The Rapax was made at the same time by Wollensk and was the shutter which you manually cocked. The two offered or met different needs one self cocking, one manually cocked and because of this the spring could be stronger allowing faster top speeds to be reached. This made it a better choice for hand/press camera users. While The Alphax was favored by studio workers most times.

As usual, I put brain into neutral before putting mouth in gear. The only Alpax shutter that I have is an absolutely huge thing which won't fit on the lensboards of my Crown or Technika.
I apologize for giving uinformed advice.

Mark Sawyer
19-Dec-2014, 11:57
...After seeing some of the work with Velostigmats here and elsewhere I'd like to try one of them.

Most of the work you've seen here has been done with the older uncoated Velostigmats, so be aware of that if you're interested in the look given by an older lens. I wouldn't classify them as "better" or "worse", just "different". If "better" was so easily defined, we'd all be shooting multi-coated Plasmats, and there'd be no market for the older lenses.

Joe Smigiel
19-Dec-2014, 18:04
I don't think the flange will be that difficult to find. I've purchased a few off ebay that IIIRC fit both Betax and Alphax shutters.

However, that shutter doesn't look like it has a flash synch if that is something you'll want. Also, it appears to take the old style cable release with non-tapering threads. Those might be much harder to find, especially heavy duty ones needed by a self-cocking shutter.

It also looks like the rear element group is starting to separate slightly as evidenced by the yellowish balsam around the edge.

I suspect you'll be chasing a flange plus shipping, and a rare cable release plus shipping, and so the cost of this non-synched separating lens will be much more than just the auction BIN price.

Louis Pacilla
19-Dec-2014, 18:14
Also, it appears to take the old style cable release with non-tapering threads. Those might be much harder to find, especially heavy duty ones needed by a self-cocking shutter.

Hey Joe.While these do take either the Wollensak air bulb attachment or Wollensak cable release w/ the non-tapered end for exterior threads the Alphax & Betax shutters are also tapped for the VERY common inner tapered cable releases.

John Kasaian
19-Dec-2014, 22:54
If your interest is driven by budget, consider that you can find a used modern 210mm from Schneider, Nikon and Rodenstock in a Copal for way under $200 in a working shutter.
OTOH, if it is vintage glass you're after, the Velostigmat series II is a real peach IMHO. Put a wtb post here---these are very common lenses and you can probably find a better deal on a better described lens from one of our forum members.

scheinfluger_77
20-Dec-2014, 14:37
Thanks everyone for the advice. In asking about this lens, or any other non-modern sharp etc. lens, because I'm trying to expand my outlook. When I first became involved in LF, I was all-in for the f/64 ethic. I still like this approach to landscapes, but it's only one of many. I want to develop multiple visions in the way I look at things and shift gears if I feel I'm getting stale (I'm sure this will make my pocket book scream in agony). My work with pinhole these last few years has helped me do that.

My present camera is a 4x5 Crown Graphic with the Ektar 127/4.5 lens. I need to experiment more with this one. I picked up an SA 90/8 a couple of years ago and recently an SA 120/8 and Fujinon W 180/5.6. These two are really overkill for the Crown but I'm pretty sure I'm going to move to 5x7/5x8 eventually. Thanks again.

Steve

Joe Smigiel
20-Dec-2014, 15:07
Hey Joe.While these do take either the Wollensak air bulb attachment or Wollensak cable release w/ the non-tapered end for exterior threads the Alphax & Betax shutters are also tapped for the VERY common inner tapered cable releases.

Good to know Louis. Thanks for the info.