PDA

View Full Version : Loading a 4x5 grafmatic with paper - is it possible?

Taran of Caer Dallnem
17-Dec-2014, 13:55
Well, the title says it all...
Paper is a bit thicker than sheet film, so will this be a problem?
Can I get the paper into the septums? Does the whole mechanical thing still work?
Who has tried this?
I'm curious!

IanG
17-Dec-2014, 14:12
Why not try it, remember that the film size is nominal - a a fraction smaller than 5x4.

There's no reason paper won't fit after all Ilford's Harman direct positive paper fits normal DDS (film holders) and Grafmatics are no different.

Ian

Jim C.
17-Dec-2014, 16:11
IanG, the nominal size is length and width, thickness is set with what the film base is plus emulsion, which is what the OP is asking.
Grafmatic septums leave very little wiggle room for thickness.
Taran - Why not try a sheet photographic paper to see if it will slide into the septum, I have a feeling that it's going to be a very tight fit.

jnantz
17-Dec-2014, 18:32
taran

i couldn't agree more with ian ...
i have used paper in bag-mags
they are the predecessors of grafmatic backs
also septums for film ..
jim i understand what you are suggesting about film and its thicknesses
but there are different thickness films and they work fine in septums as well
( different thicknesses as in efke/adox and supper xx .. total different thicknesses &c )
i use paper in film holders all the time too, never any trouble after i trim the edge .

photonsoup
17-Dec-2014, 21:29
I just tried some, and the paper fits fine in the septums. I tried Arista RC Glossy #2, and Ilford Multigrade IV RC Deluxe. both fit fine.

I cut my paper negatives from 8x10 sheets. Ive set up a jig that makes them slightly less than 4x5, they have always fit easily in the double sided film holders.

Michael Cienfuegos
17-Dec-2014, 23:33
I have also used paper in my Grafmatic holders. You just have to trim it slightly.

Taran of Caer Dallnem
18-Dec-2014, 00:41
Thank you for your answers. I hope to get a Grafmatic quite cheaply. As I usually shoot paper, it would be wasted on me if it only worked with film. Some light trimming of the paper is no problem, though. Looks like I can go ahead!

IanG
18-Dec-2014, 02:36
IanG, the nominal size is length and width, thickness is set with what the film base is plus emulsion, which is what the OP is asking.
Grafmatic septums leave very little wiggle room for thickness.
Taran - Why not try a sheet photographic paper to see if it will slide into the septum, I have a feeling that it's going to be a very tight fit.

My comment about the nominal size is because when J&C had chinese skeet film cut to size for them a few years ago their 5x4 & 10x8 film wouldn't fit all DDS (film holders), the film size is slightly smaller than the paper size. Ilford initially cut their direct positive parer (during rials) to the usual paper size and that wouldn't fit

A lot is going to depend on the choice of paper and it's thickness.

Ian