PDA

View Full Version : Dual Purpose View Camera

Alick Crossley
17-Dec-2004, 14:49
What a great website! So much info.

I am looking to buy a used view camera. I want to use it for both architecture/interiors and table top still life.

I was initially leaning towards a Sinar F2, due to the low cost, availability of parts, (I live in NYC,) and weight. (Not necessarily in that order, but the combination thereof.) I noticed quite a few people on this site expressed disapproval, but didn't mention why. Is it very awkward to use compared to a P?

I like low light situations, so sturdiness during long exposures is important. Is this camera flimsy?

I see that a used Sinar P is about the same price, around $1000, but I imagine it is much heavier. Is it worth it?

Others have mentioned the Arca Swiss Discovery, (which can be had new for $1500,) Linhof tk45s, Toyo GII, (not yaw free,) and others. All of which I have no experience with.

I don't really like renting things, as I like to work at my usual slow pace, but I do like having accessories readily available.

I have only worked with the Sinar P2, so I am the most comfortable with that system, though not completely against change.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Armin Seeholzer
17-Dec-2004, 16:35
F2 is just the right tool and later you can switch to a P or P2 or P3 for studio work! I worked for years with an Arca F-Line but switched to Sinar because of the most completed system and of the troubles with the back of the Arca wich ruined to much shoots on the long run.
Now I have the F1 for outside and the P for my studio work and it is my tool!
I only take the P outside for a very long and heavy lens for example my 610mm APO Nikkor!
The F2 is not flymsy at all!

R. Sulc
17-Dec-2004, 17:29
Alick, F2 should be the right tool for you, but many Americans will disagree, they strangely don't like Sinars, but Arcas. I really like F2 is perfectly suited for architecture work. I use F2 for many years for architecture work , as well as for landscape photography around the world and works great . P2 is better for studio work, because is very heavy. I pack F2 into LowePro Pro Trekker with all necessary accesories. I can only recommend F2. DOF calculator mounted on rear standard is also very useful for fast focusing.
Good luck.
Radim

Jan Virtanen
18-Dec-2004, 09:31
Theres a 5x7 version of F2 which i have. It has specially beefed bearers.
It is pretty stiff but ofcourse it isnt totally solid like some heavy monorails
like Master GTL or P2. The 5x7 model seems to be very rare on used market,
but i once saw someone selling an F2 4x5 that had both these special stronger bearers.

Bill_1856
18-Dec-2004, 09:49
Since you live in NYC, go down to Lens and Repro. They have nearly every LF piece of equipment that you can imagine, new or used. Talk to them, they're busy but honest. Sometimes their prices may be a little higher than other places but (IMHO) it's worth it for the support you can get.

Alick Crossley
18-Dec-2004, 10:25
Thanks for the info guys, though I would still like to hear from some naysayers.

I acutally have always found Lens and Repro to be very condescending. Other friends of mine have had similar experiences.

I personally like Photogizzmo, but I would rather get advice from users instead of salesmen.

David Karp
18-Dec-2004, 13:56
A good friend of mine used a P2 for studio and architecture work. He loved it. He also used the DB shutter system.

I have to say, I watched him once when he was doing an evening architectural photograph. Watching him work with the DB shutter and just shooting away as an assistant handed him Quickloads one after another, I was impressed with the speed at which he could work. He was even able to make a few bracketed shots by changing the aperture on the DB shutter. I don't think I could have worked that fast with my Copal shutters. The P2 was heavier for architectural shots, but he felt that the conveniences of the camera "outweighed" the weight.

It may depend on the ratio of studio to field work that you foresee. From what I have seen, it would be hard to beat that P2 (and I assume the P will be similar) for studio work. (I must warn you, I am not a studio photographer, so I am just going by what I have seen, and what my friend had to say about his camera.)

David Flockhart
21-Dec-2004, 18:56
I use a P base and have modified two cameras to utilize the base (an 8x20 and an 11x14). I use it more in the field than in indoors but have done lots of architectural work with it. I probably can't say enough good things about the Sinar P system. I can't speak for the F system but the weight of the P isn't a drawback when considered against the usability of the system.

Ellis Vener
22-Dec-2004, 08:28
The right tool might be a Sinar C. This model has the rear function carrier of a P or P2 camera and the lens standard of the F series cameras. The F2 is much better than the F or F1 cameras and the combination works well for architectural and still life work.