PDA

View Full Version : What is "Inscape?"

Bill_1856
17-Dec-2004, 08:07
I've just come across the photographic term "Inscape." Could someone define it for this elderly ignoramous? Please. Thank you.

Edward (Halifax,NS)
17-Dec-2004, 08:27
The term inscape was coined by Gerard Manley Hopkins and can be described with the following quote:

"He (Hopkins) looked hard at things until they looked back at him, revealing within the process the mysterious, glorious, sometimes terrible presence of God who stood behind and within nature. He understood the visual image to be reflexive, both a window onthe world and a mirror of the created and creative self. This quality of "inscape" in a particular work was for him the touchstone of good art, what distinguishes inspired art from slick or poorly conceived offerings."

- Michael Fleckly (1994)

Edward (Halifax,NS)
17-Dec-2004, 08:28
That should read Flecky, not Fleckly.

Ralph Barker
17-Dec-2004, 08:40
Inscape is also a photography magazine published in the UK. Their stated focus seems to be introspective personal work, which seems consistent with the Hopkins coinage.

I could also, however, see the term being used for architectural interiors, as a contrast to landscapes (outscapes).

Barry Wilkinson
17-Dec-2004, 09:35
Inscape is also the name of a book by UK photgrapher John Blakemore.

Barry

John Kasaian
17-Dec-2004, 09:46
Inscape? The opposite of Escape? Like trying to break into a prison or mental facility to avoid the mayhem of the outside world?;-)

paulr
17-Dec-2004, 10:27
sounds like a neologism for a romantic (with a capitol R) picture.

tim atherton
17-Dec-2004, 10:38
Hmm not much "neo" about Hopkins 1884-89....

(I remember Blakemore referencing Hopkins poetry years ago in his early seashore/rock work - looks like the influence stuck. Hopkins was also something of an inspiration behind Bishops use of the term in publishing and naming his journal I believe)

paulr
17-Dec-2004, 11:13
how about old-logism?

tim atherton
17-Dec-2004, 11:18
yep... :-)