PDA

View Full Version : Canham JMC810 opinions & experience

Ari
15-Dec-2014, 14:31
Hi,

I have had to send part of my Toyo 810M in for a minor repair, it will be away for a week.
They say idle hands are the devil's playground, so I am looking at the Canham as a companion to the Toyo.
I was hoping that others here might have some good information to share about another all-metal camera, the Canham JMC810.

I've seen a video with Fred Newman explaining the various knobs and functions, and it looks like a fiddly camera with small knobs; true?
Also, I like the max extension (over 800mm), but is the camera rigid and stable?

After years with the Toyo 810M, which is akin to... well, any camera on steroids, the JMC seems like it has all the goods as well, but in a lighter package.
How is the focusing? rough or buttery velvet?

Anything you can do to give me user experiences with this camera would be much appreciated until I get my Toyo back.
If no one answers, well, I may have to shoot medium format or possibly digital.

Thanks in advance.

Tony Lakin
15-Dec-2014, 15:06
I like my JMC, the knobs are a little fiddly as is unfolding and setting it up but it gets easier with practice (I am never in any great hurry when using 810) the focusing is hardly buttery, the locking knobs (rather small) for the front and rear drives can be adjusted to vary the drive tension which is rather sloppy with the locks fully off, in my experience with the camera mounted on a sturdy tripod is pretty good up to about 450mm of extension and usable with care at longer extensions I wouldn't attempt to use it in high winds with more than 300mm extension as the bellows are rather flimsy, the camera is very versatile, light weight, long bellows which compress allowing the use of wide angle lenses without having to resort to bag bellows (I have used my 120 Super Angulon on it although without movements as none available with this lens anyway) I have a Sinar Norma 8x10 which I use when close to my car as it is more stable but backpack with the JMC when I need to and for this I find it to be very good.

I don't write very well but I hope this will help you.

Good luck.

Ari
15-Dec-2014, 15:50
Thank you, Tony, that was very helpful.

Ari
17-Dec-2014, 19:05
Anyone else have any thoughts on the JMC810?

Thanks

Gem Singer
17-Dec-2014, 20:06
The only focusing knob for the JMC810 rear standard is on the left side.

I asked Keith why he designed the camera that way. He said that he is left handed. Being right handed,I found that arrangement to be slightly awkward.

I owned a JMC810 for a while. Traded it for a Traditional (wooden) 8X10. with focusing knobs on both the right and left sides.

Ari
17-Dec-2014, 20:10
Interesting, thank you, Gem.
Do you concur with Tony about the rough focusing mechanism?
I am left-handed as well, but I use my right hand for focusing, even though I could use either hand with the Toyo.
They do seem like nice cameras, and I wish I could test drive one.
I contacted Keith about that, but the only way it will happen is to get myself to Arizona.

Gem Singer
17-Dec-2014, 20:20
Ari,

If you can find a good deal on a new or used JMC810, don't hesitate.

It's a neat camera. Especially for a left hander.

Light weight, and folds compactly into it's fitted soft carrying case.

Takes standard Sinar lens boards.

Ari
17-Dec-2014, 20:33
Thanks again, Gem, much appreciated.

jeroldharter
17-Dec-2014, 21:32
I had a Toyo 810 and a 4x5 Canham metal camera (DLC45 I think). Very different. the Toyo 8x10 is an absolute tank. It is like an arthritic, rigid old man relative to the Canham which like a nimble, ADHD young man. The Toyo is rock solid with limited movements and weighs just more than an anvil. The Canham is light, has more bellows extension, greater movements, much lighter, but it is fiddly. The fiddly you can adapt to, the weight is a constant. When I put most cameras in various packs, the packs control the camera. The Toyo 8x10 however is a beast that carves a right angle into your sacrum. I would not hesitate on the Canham.

Ari
17-Dec-2014, 21:48
Thank you, Jerold. But tell me how you really feel about the Toyo. :)
Kidding aside, what about focusing the Canham?
The Toyo is a real pleasure to focus, and very precise in that function as well.

Andrew O'Neill
17-Dec-2014, 22:04
years ago I came this close to buying one, but went with the 8x10 light weight version instead. Maybe it was because of the extra movements. I don't remember. I know it wasn't because of the left-hand focusing, because I'm also left-handed.

Ari
18-Dec-2014, 06:56
Andrew, there's a lightweight version as well? I thought this camera was already quite light.

Louis Pacilla
18-Dec-2014, 07:24
Andrew, there's a lightweight version as well? I thought this camera was already quite light.

He is speaking of the Canham 8x10 Wood Cameras as one uses a smaller front standard to lighten the weight by around 1 lb.The Canham 8x10 Standard Wood takes the Sinar boards and weights 9 1/2 lbs while the Canham 8x10 Wood lite 8 1/2 lbs takes the Canham 110mmx110mm lens boards.

I own & use the Canham 8x10 Standard Wood as my lighter weight 8x10 camera. A fine sub 10lb 8x10 camera...

Ari
18-Dec-2014, 07:28
Got it, thank you, Louis and Gem.
Wood is not an option for me, but there are many fine and beautiful wood cameras out there, and I can certainly understand their appeal.

At this point in time, weight is not an issue for me, either; I don't mind the Toyo's 15 pounds because the trade-off is precision and rigidity even at full extension with a 2.5 pound lens.

Andrew O'Neill
18-Dec-2014, 09:43
Yes, sorry for the confusion. Smaller lens boards was one of the reasons why I went with it. Lighter camera, and can pack more lenses.

Jonathan Barlow
22-Dec-2014, 11:40
The only focusing knob for the JMC810 rear standard is on the left side.

I asked Keith why he designed the camera that way. He said that he is left handed. Being right handed,I found that arrangement to be slightly awkward.

I owned a JMC810 for a while. Traded it for a Traditional (wooden) 8X10. with focusing knobs on both the right and left sides.

Your comment about Keith Canham putting the focusing knob on the left side of the camera because he's left-handed, sounds backwards to me. Most hand-held cameras were/are designed to be gripped with the right hand and focused (when focusing manually) with the left hand. 35mm and digital SLR's and most medium format cameras are focused with the left hand. Deardorffs have the focusing knob on the left side.

Oddly, V-series Hasselblads seem as if they were designed by a left-handed person. According to their instructions, the camera should be cradled in the left hand and fired with a left-handed finger while focusing with the right hand.

As a right-handed person, it's always felt natural for me to focus with my left hand.

Gem Singer
22-Dec-2014, 14:08
Jonathan,

All three format sizes of Canham metal cameras are similarly designed.

They utilize two (right and left) flat metal bars that slide back and forth along side of each other. These metal bars serve like an expandable, or telescoping, focusing rail.

The bar on the right side controls the front (lens) movements with a focusing knob located at the right front.

The bar on the left side controls the ground glass (film) movements with a focusing knob located at the left rear.

Being right handed, I find this arrangement slightly awkward. However, I can work around that quirk in the design.

I didn't mean to imply that Keith specifically designed his cameras that way because he is left handed.

I have owned all three format sizes of these unique designed Canham metal cameras. I highly recommend them.

Jonathan Barlow
22-Dec-2014, 14:30
How many people focus a large format camera by moving the front standard?

Gem Singer
22-Dec-2014, 14:42
Jonathan,

I usually always fine focus my large format cameras by moving the front standard.

I guess I'm just used to doing it that way. I've been doing it wrong for the past 69 years?

I'll try focusing by moving the rear standard and see if I like it better.

Peter Lewin
22-Dec-2014, 15:25
How many people focus a large format camera by moving the front standard?
I always focus using the front standard. Don't you find that focusing with the rear standard changes your framing? (I've stayed out of this thread because I use the Canham DLC2, and I'm not familiar with its 8x10 big brother. But FWIW, I have found it to be an excellent compromise in terms of weight, portability, and features. It isn't quite as rigid as my Sinar, and the movements aren't exactly as smooth, but as I said as a complete package I find it excellent.)

Jonathan Barlow
22-Dec-2014, 16:38
I'm talking about fine focusing; the last few millimeters. If I were 7' tall with appropriately long arms, I might focus using the front standard.

karl french
22-Dec-2014, 16:54
The metal 8x10 is rear focus only. I always fine focus with the front standard as well.

Gem Singer
22-Dec-2014, 16:55
Maybe that's why Keith placed the fine focus knob on the JMC810 at the rear. It's certainly easier to reach.

I remember how difficult it was for my shorter arms to reach the front fine focus knob from under the dark cloth when using a 450mm lens.

Doesn't seem to be a problem with the 4x5 or the 5x7 metal cameras, however.