PDA

View Full Version : Salvaging Old Glass Plates

WmRenick
15-Dec-2014, 14:04
Hello again
I've just received a box of old glass plates. I give myself a 20% possibility that they are useable.
I did expose and develop one. I rated it ISO 4. I developed it in Rodinal 1:25, visual inspection.
It came out very dark with just a small area that had a faint image. With some areas having a sharp edge.
Like if you dipped the plate in a chemical. I placed it in the tray emulsion side up.
Anyone have any experience salvaging old plates like this?
I paid very little for them, so if them can't be used it's not a big deal.
Also has anyone had success with liquid light? I would like to make glass negatives.
Wet Plate is amazing, but costly and time constraints are prohibitive.
Thanks for any suggestions.
Wm

Tin Can
15-Dec-2014, 15:21
Hello again
I've just received a box of old glass plates. I give myself a 20% possibility that they are useable.
I did expose and develop one. I rated it ISO 4. I developed it in Rodinal 1:25, visual inspection.
It came out very dark with just a small area that had a faint image. With some areas having a sharp edge.
Like if you dipped the plate in a chemical. I placed it in the tray emulsion side up.
Anyone have any experience salvaging old plates like this?
I paid very little for them, so if them can't be used it's not a big deal.
Also has anyone had success with liquid light? I would like to make glass negatives.
Wet Plate is amazing, but costly and time constraints are prohibitive.
Thanks for any suggestions.
Wm

I once found a box of old 1/4 plate negs. I shot 2 at 1 ASA, did basically the same as you and got low contrast images. Mine had peeled edges from the emulsion coming off. Fun, but obviously not the best. I put them away as I think it would take all of them to get one fairly good result.

As for LL, some are doing that, and I also plan to. Look for Dry Plate threads here and APUG. Also look at this. http://www.thelightfarm.com/