PDA

View Full Version : processing steps - Jobo Expert drum

DrTang
15-Dec-2014, 08:51
okay - got my 3005 drum and decided to give it a run

now..I am used to dip and dunk or reels and tanks.. but have no idea exactly how to use a drum

#1 after dumping the developer - do you dump stop bath in..or do you rinse in water first?..and if so? how?

right at the sink or do you run it on the motor base with water?

#2 - what the heck do you do after fixing?... my idea was to pull the film out and transfer to frames to finish with clearing.. and then washing and then photo flo...in the dip and dunk tanks I have

note..I was testing using some old 4x5 film I had and yes I know the tank isn't designed for 4x5.. and also I stupidly put the film in skinny side around instead of fat side - but it worked okay anyway

BUT - how does one get the film out of the tubes w/o scratching it all up???

I had to use the cleaning sponge..but I am hoping with 5x7 film..it will be way easier

angusparker
15-Dec-2014, 09:49
okay - got my 3005 drum and decided to give it a run

now..I am used to dip and dunk or reels and tanks.. but have no idea exactly how to use a drum

#1 after dumping the developer - do you dump stop bath in..or do you rinse in water first?..and if so? how?

#2 - what the heck do you do after fixing?... my idea was to pull the film out and transfer to frames to finish with clearing.. and then washing and then photo flo...in the dip and dunk tanks I have

note..I was testing using some old 4x5 film I had and yes I know the tank isn't designed for 4x5.. and also I stupidly put the film in skinny side around instead of fat side - but it worked okay anyway

BUT - how does one get the film out of the tubes w/o scratching it all up???

I had to use the cleaning sponge..but I am hoping with 5x7 film..it will be way easier

Are you using it on a Jobo processor? Or just a roll base or by hand? The processors have an attachment head that allows liquids to be poured in and emptied out easily. My stop bath is water but you can put an acid stop in right away. With the fixer you can recollect it in the same Jobo bottle and reuse - just empty out by hoisting the tank and make sure the black flexible tube at the end is in your bottle. For me film slides out fairly easily. I use my hands which doesn't seem to affect the film, dip in photo flow and then hang it up in a cabinet to dry unaided for several hours.

adelorenzo
15-Dec-2014, 09:52

I just go developer, stop bath, fixer like any other process.

I sometimes wash my film in the expert drum, 5-6 changes of water and run it on the motor base for a minute or two each wash. I also sometimes stick my 8x10 film into my print washer.

I do a photo-flo rinse in a dedicated tray for that purpose.

BUT - how does one get the film out of the tubes w/o scratching it all up??? I had to use the cleaning sponge..but I am hoping with 5x7 film..it will be way easier

I just reach in and pull it out, but then again I'm using 8x10 film. Are you putting the emulsion side in?

DrTang
15-Dec-2014, 10:22
I just reach in and pull it out, but then again I'm using 8x10 film. Are you putting the emulsion side in?

yup

but it was 4x5.. and I have stubby little fingers

I bet 5x7 the long way in will make it easier...I'll use some finished 5x negs tonight to test how they fit in

oh... and 'motor base' - I used a unicolor one I had around..I cut the reversing toggle deal off and manually turned the drum around every 2 minutes

angusparker
15-Dec-2014, 10:31
yup

but it was 4x5.. and I have stubby little fingers

I bet 5x7 the long way in will make it easier...I'll use some finished 5x negs tonight to test how they fit in

oh... and 'motor base' - I used a unicolor one I had around..I cut the reversing toggle deal off and manually turned the drum around every 2 minutes

Whole lot easier to use a Jobo processor... Just my two cents. Especially if you are going to the effort of using an expert drum to get really good results.

TXFZ1
15-Dec-2014, 10:36
Search youtube for Michael Gordon's video, he recorded his process with Pyro and using a motorbase.

David

DrTang
15-Dec-2014, 10:42
Whole lot easier to use a Jobo processor... Just my two cents. Especially if you are going to the effort of using an expert drum to get really good results.

I bet... which ones are best? just B&W film only

of course this is already getting muy expensive.. and space is a concern

angusparker
15-Dec-2014, 10:47
I bet... which ones are best? just B&W film only

of course this is already getting muy expensive.. and space is a concern

Only the later models can take the heavier expert drums because they have the beefier motors. Serial numbers above 22001 see here: http://www.catlabs.info/why-are-jobo-cpa2-cpp2-serial-numbers-important

I only use it for B&W but when commercial E6 development goes away I may be forced to do color slides as well.

adelorenzo
15-Dec-2014, 11:10
For B&W film only I don't know why you'd want a Jobo machine. I have a CPE that I use for C-41 process (roll film only although I could do 4x5) but I do all my B&W, 35mm through 8x10, on my plain old motor base.

karl french
15-Dec-2014, 11:12
Not true. Any CPA2 or CPP2 with a lift can handle the expert drums. It would be nice to have a later one with the stronger motor, but the earlier processors can handle the big drums just fine and cost significantly less. The CPA2 is cheap because everyone wants the CPP2. I found mine on Craigslist for $350. At that price I'll use it until the motor goes and then find another. 400 sheets of 8x10 with 3005 drums so far this year and still going strong. Keep your eye on Santa Barbara or LA Craigslist, I've seen many listed there. I hardly ever even use the heater in mine as it tends to stay between 68-71 degrees in my apartment.

vinny
15-Dec-2014, 11:14
youtube

angusparker
15-Dec-2014, 13:04
Not true. Any CPA2 or CPP2 with a lift can handle the expert drums. It would be nice to have a later one with the stronger motor, but the earlier processors can handle the big drums just fine and cost significantly less. The CPA2 is cheap because everyone wants the CPP2. I found mine on Craigslist for $350. At that price I'll use it until the motor goes and then find another. 400 sheets of 8x10 with 3005 drums so far this year and still going strong. Keep your eye on Santa Barbara or LA Craigslist, I've seen many listed there. I hardly ever even use the heater in mine as it tends to stay between 68-71 degrees in my apartment.

Actually JoboCat says the following suggesting that some CPA2s have the stronger motor, so while SN 22001 and up is best, these ranges for these models will work. So you are right go with a CPA with the SN in the range below.

2nd Upgrade: The rotation motor circuit was strengthened to accommodate larger loads, that is, 3000 series EXPERT Drums.

CPP Serial # 20456 - 21999

CPA Serial # 13310 - 21999

koh303
15-Dec-2014, 20:14
Actually JoboCat says the following...

:) - thats awesome!

tgtaylor
15-Dec-2014, 20:51

1. After the developer I dump in the stop bath which, in my case, tempered water.

2. After fixing I wash for 1-minute and then dump in hypo-clear which, in my case, is sodium sulfite and sodium bisulfite (see Formula # 189 in Anchell's Darkroom Cookbook, 3d edition, page 312). Skip the hypo clear step if you're using a staining developer. Then wash as normal.

Thomas