PDA

View Full Version : 4.5x8.5 like 4x10 with an English accent

Sven Schroder
16-Dec-2004, 15:07
Hello

I've bought Six wood and plastic Darkslides in really nice mini banquet format, measuring the film (that was still in the DD's)it comes out at just under 4.5 inch by just under 8.5. So I think the format must be related to whole plate (1/1 plate 6.5x8.5) in the way 4x10 is related to 8x10. Iam not worried by film availablity and am happy to cut down film (whole plate is obtainable in a couple of emulsions here in the UK) .

I would be glad of any tips on cuting down film .

Does any one Know when this format was used and died its death (they smell of bakerlite so circ 1930)

Lens choices I allready shoot 8x10, do I treat it like 4x10?

The diagonal is nine and a half inch, what sort of coverage is the minimum to cover?

What about development, Trays, Jobo 3010 or 3005?

I will start with a box camera built around the DD's, whilst I get some funds together to have a back made for my 8x10 Gandolfi Precision or would it be sensible in terms of weight to find a Whole plate Gandolfi (or other field camera do Shen-hoe make one?) to convert?

Thanks from Sunny Morecambe

Sven

Ernest Purdum
16-Dec-2004, 17:15
This is quite an odd size. It isn't really like 4X10, because you get two 4X10s out of an 8X10, so the equivalent to a 1/1 plate would be 3 1/4" X 8.5". < p>

I hope someone else will give you tips on cutting film down.

I have no idea when the format was used. <-p>

Lens choices. Why not go with what you have for awhile.

A 9.5 film diagonal is just over 240mm, so that is the minimum image circle size you would need, however for movements to be useful you would need more.

I don't think you would save much weight by going to a whole-plate size Gandolfi. To save a significant amount you'd have to have a basically less sturdy camera, preferably either made for, or cut down to, something close to your format size.