PDA

View Full Version : New lens, things to check

NoBob
13-Dec-2014, 22:23
Apart from the checking the glass for marks or defects, is there a way to check if the shutter is working okay? I just bought a lens and everything looks fine. The shutter triggers okay, but is there a way to check the accuracy of the shutter speed? Or is it just take pictures and see if they're over or underexposed?

John Kasaian
13-Dec-2014, 22:36
There are shutter testers you can buy, or take your shutter in to a repair shop for testing. If it is an older lens and you send it in for a CLA the shop generally tests the shutter and will give you a paper with the actual shutter speeds notated opposite the indicated shutter speeds.
As a practical matter I just fire the shutter at the different speeds and listen. Unless there is something very wrong---like most of the shutter speeds are taking the same time to fire, I'll load up some holders and go have fun.
The proof is in the prints.
If it the shutter speeds don't sound right or the negatives indicate a problem, I'll send it to Carol Miller at Flutot's for a CLA.

Alan Gales
13-Dec-2014, 22:45
I use a Calumet shutter speed tester. They come up on Ebay occasionally for around $150.00. There are other testers out there and there is also an app for i-phones that lets you check shutter speeds.

NoBob
14-Dec-2014, 04:00
Thanks.

Thanks Alan, I didn't know about the iPhone app.

Michael E
14-Dec-2014, 04:43
Older shutters that haven't seen a lot of use in recent years tend to get "sticky". The mechanism slows down, or starts off well and slows down, or even stops completely. This shows most notably at the 1 second setting. To test, trigger the shutter and count off a second. Repeat a few times. If 1 s runs smoothly and sounds accurate, I stop worrying and go shooting.

Doremus Scudder
14-Dec-2014, 05:14
I'm a musician, and I can determine by ear if shutters are within spec up to about 1/15 sec. You can too if you use a metronome (set it on 120 bpm = one beat every 1/2 second and then subdivide. Sixteenth notes at 120 bpm = 1/16 second).

I also use the Shutter Tester app for iPhone. Alone it works fairly well for slower speeds. With the dedicated light sensor that you can buy on eBay, it is quite accurate.

If, like me, you end up using speeds in the more-than-one-second to 1/15-second range, the above methods work fine. If you need more accuracy at higher speeds and/or if you think your shutter sounds erratic, sticky, etc., then by all means send it in for a CLA (Carol Flutot is my go-to tech as well).

FWIW, faster speeds on clockwork shutters are rarely accurate as marked. Have your tech give you a list of the actual speeds (or figure them out yourself) and tape a copy of the list on your lensboard. Use these instead of marked speeds when determining exposure.

Best,

Doremus

NoBob
14-Dec-2014, 07:21
Thanks,

About the iPhone app (sound), I used it, but it's not easy to tell where to measure. The shutter's quite noisy. But the 1s test was the best result. I've ordered the light sensor.

John Kasaian
14-Dec-2014, 08:07
Old shutters often need to be "exercised" not exorcised( although that may be an option :rolleyes:) for consistent results. I'll dry fire my big Ilex Universals at all the settings a few times before a shoot and a couple of more times at the selecting shutter speed before pulling the dark slide.
At least that was what I was instructed to do by a guy who earned his living shooting catalog illustrations many decades ago. Can't hurt---might help.

NoBob
14-Dec-2014, 09:00
Thanks John.

Alan Gales
14-Dec-2014, 11:00
Old shutters often need to be "exercised" not exorcised( although that may be an option :rolleyes:) for consistent results. I'll dry fire my big Ilex Universals at all the settings a few times before a shoot and a couple of more times at the selecting shutter speed before pulling the dark slide.
At least that was what I was instructed to do by a guy who earned his living shooting catalog illustrations many decades ago. Can't hurt---might help.

John, whenever I buy a lens I check the shutter accuracy with my Calumet shutter speed tester. I have tested shutters before and after exercising them. The fellow told you right. It can make a difference. I always do as you and dry fire my shutters before I leave the house and then once again at my selected speed before I take the image.

Alan Gales
14-Dec-2014, 11:07
After checking your shutter speeds if the shutter is way off you need to send it in for a CLA. If just a few speeds are a little off (common for faster speeds) write down all your speeds and their actual tested speeds down on a notecard and tape it to your lens board.

I learned this trick from Ken Rockwell.

Tin Can
14-Dec-2014, 11:09
Listening to many shutters gets your ears tuned, but also look at the shutter at a light source while firing it. Soon you will be almost as good as ANSI standards.

Just a reminder to new guys, that ANSI shutter accuracy is OK within 20%. So don't go nuts and and things that are not actually broken.

I'm, not sure if 20& is full range or 20 up and 20% down. If the later, 1/50 second is OK from 1/40 to 1/60th if my morning math is correct.

B&W film is forgiving beyond that error.

And you are going to fix it in post anyway...