PDA

View Full Version : Maxwell Screen vs. Shen Hao Ground Glass

skiers4life
13-Dec-2014, 12:38
About three months ago, I purchased the Maxwell Hi-Lux Extra Brilliant Matte Screen. I had become frustrated with my Shen Hao ground glass; even purchasing a fresnel lens for that didn't get it bright enough in the corners for the locations I shoot. After speaking with Bill Maxwell, I decided to order their brightest screen. Even though it was pretty expensive (around $515 shipped), I think it is money well spent as I was having too many cases of missed focus. After using it for a bit now in some very dark areas (the Subway and Narrows in Zion), I can tell you that this screen is as good as advertised. It's probably the best money I've spent in LF. The image is SO bright all the way to the corners, even when I stop down to check focus. I did some tests in controlled lighting (looking through the camera at a picture in my basement) to show the difference the screen makes in case anyone was thinking about purchasing it. I tested the Shen Hao gg, the Shen Hao gg w/a fresnel lens, and finally the Maxwell Screen. If you're interested in seeing more, feel free to check out my blog at http://www.alanbrockimages.com/blog/2014/12/11/maxwell-screen-seeing-is-believing where I go over installation and discuss it more in-depth.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7497/15391158144_6467e9fdaf_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/ps4H6A)

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7573/15827664887_f9c46fe623_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/q7CVkV)

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7527/16011462331_dc60969f96_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/qoSVVn)

Old-N-Feeble
13-Dec-2014, 12:53
Nice comparison!!

Alan Gales
13-Dec-2014, 15:04
I've never used a Mexwell screen but I did have a Beattie Intenscreen on a Hasselblad 500/cm. It made a world of difference.

Bright screens are not cheap but as your example shows, they can be well worth the money.

Thanks for sharing!

Roger Cole
13-Dec-2014, 23:50
That's an awesome looking screen but for over $500 it ought to be.

If it's worth it to you, great, but given the relative prices and the differences I see here I'd probably go with the fresnel. I'm used to (well, more or less, with some cussing) the plain GG in my old Tech III anyway. It looks like the fresnel provides a bigger jump up from the plain one, then a smaller but still quite significant jump for the Maxwell. It's really impressive but still - wow, that's an expensive screen.

Rayt
14-Dec-2014, 00:31
I have Maxwell screens for my 3 LF as well as Rolleiflex TLR's. They are expensive but it is only a one time expense that brings you years and years of pleasure unlike the wine and women I otherwise would have squandered the money on :)

Old-N-Feeble
14-Dec-2014, 00:35
The way I justified the expense of a Maxwell screen is to buy a Chamonix 045-F1 which is known to have focus issues, so it was cheaper, then had the screen replaced with a Maxwell installed by the technician Maxwell recommended.

DennisD
14-Dec-2014, 01:26
Bill Maxwell manufactures an outstanding GG product. His ground glass is quite expensive as mentioned above, but the relative brightness is worth every dollar you will part with !

I like the comparison in the first post and can say it is certainly parallel with my own experience of old glass vs new. My camera is a Master Technika and replacing the glass is very easy if you follow the correct procedure with care. Maxwell supplies the necessary parts.

Bill is a super nice guy - very good with giving advice and explaining various options - and quite talkative. So call when you're not in a big rush.

I recall having had some difficulty contacting him as he did not have an official website. This is the information I have.
Maxwell Precision Optics
Work: 770-939-6644
Work: 770-934-0431
E-Mail: MaxwellPrecisionOptics@yahoo.com
Address: P.O. 33146, Decatur GA 30033-0146

dave_whatever
14-Dec-2014, 03:31
The way I justified the expense of a Maxwell screen is to buy a Chamonix 045-F1 which is known to have focus issues, so it was cheaper, then had the screen replaced with a Maxwell installed by the technician Maxwell recommended.

In what way is the 045-F1 "known to have focus issues"?

Michael R
14-Dec-2014, 07:17
That looks like a serious improvement. Wow. $500 ain't cheap but it looks worth it to me. I'm just too afraid to mess with swapping a ground glass. But again, wow. Very cool.

TXFZ1
14-Dec-2014, 07:27
In what way is the 045-F1 "known to have focus issues"?

Probably meant the N1, which has been discussed in the past. Google it.

David

dave_whatever
14-Dec-2014, 07:29
Yeah I'm aware of the N1 issues, although these were now many years ago. There's no problems with the F1.

Ari
14-Dec-2014, 07:50
The aerial image is bright and even, but how is the Maxwell screen for focusing with an 8x or 10x loupe?
I find with most screens, they will do one (bright image) or the other (focus fine details very well), but rarely both.

Old-N-Feeble
14-Dec-2014, 11:14
Probably meant the N1, which has been discussed in the past. Google it.

Yes, that's probably right.

Old-N-Feeble
14-Dec-2014, 11:16
The aerial image is bright and even, but how is the Maxwell screen for focusing with an 8x or 10x loupe?
I find with most screens, they will do one (bright image) or the other (focus fine details very well), but rarely both.

The Maxwell screen is excellent at focusing fine detail due to the very fine lines of the Fresnel lens. A very fine plain ground glass is usually better at rendering extremely fine detail than anything with a Fresnel but the trade-off isn't worth it if you shoot with wide lenses. I thought about purchasing a spare focus panel for the Chamonix so I could install a really nice plain GG for normal and long lenses but decided against it due to the cost.

skiers4life
14-Dec-2014, 15:35

I can't speak to 8x or 10x loupes as I only use a 4x, but resolving fine detail was an initial concern of mine. However, it was completely unfounded. I am able to see details just fine, and it's so bright that the fresnel lines never get in the way. If there is a tradeoff between brightness and details, I'll take brightness all day long.

Tim Meisburger
14-Dec-2014, 15:37
My (used) Ebony 45s came with a Maxwell installed, and the original glass wrapped up. I've never even unwrapped it, although I've been thinking of doing that and seeing if I can mount it on my Ikeda Anba, was the current glass pales (literally) in comparison to the Maxwell. So, although I probably would not have bought one, I'm sure happy with mine.

Ari
14-Dec-2014, 16:10
The Maxwell screen is excellent at focusing fine detail due to the very fine lines of the Fresnel lens. A very fine plain ground glass is usually better at rendering extremely fine detail than anything with a Fresnel but the trade-off isn't worth it if you shoot with wide lenses. I thought about purchasing a spare focus panel for the Chamonix so I could install a really nice plain GG for normal and long lenses but decided against it due to the cost.

I can't speak to 8x or 10x loupes as I only use a 4x, but resolving fine detail was an initial concern of mine. However, it was completely unfounded. I am able to see details just fine, and it's so bright that the fresnel lines never get in the way. If there is a tradeoff between brightness and details, I'll take brightness all day long.

Thanks, guys.

scheinfluger_77
14-Dec-2014, 16:34
OMG! What is that tugging in my hip pocket? Ugh....

Larry Kellogg
19-Dec-2014, 17:34
Any idea how much for a 5x7 screen? Can you PM me the secret contact details?

Tim Meisburger
19-Dec-2014, 17:41
From the Facebook page:

Please email Bill at maxwellprecisionoptics@yahoo.com or phone (770)939-6644
Thanks

Kevin Crisp
19-Dec-2014, 18:54
I thought a 5x7 was around $325, but that was about 5 years ago, I bought one for my Deardorff.