PDA

View Full Version : Labeling negatives numeracly

Ramiro Elena
12-Dec-2014, 07:34
I got an old machine that labels large format negatives prior to development from 0 to 9
I am trying to figure out how to use it. Do you have any ideas or process you may want to share?

Apart from labeling each negative with a number I thought it could be worth adding extra information such as negative size, developer...

vinny
12-Dec-2014, 07:47
Don't you know the negatives size when you hold it in your hand??
I wouldn't want to risk handling my film any more than necessary. Why not just label the sleeve afterwards?

Ramiro Elena
12-Dec-2014, 07:59
I was expecting that question :)
The idea would be to keep a computer spreadsheet with the corresponding information. So when I decided to look for an image, i'd know it was on a folder where I keep 4x5's or 8x10's etc... Moreover I could know what developer I used, lens, etc...
I bought the machine and it looks very cool.

Light Guru
12-Dec-2014, 08:45
The idea would be to keep a computer spreadsheet with the corresponding information. So when I decided to look for an image, i'd know it was on a folder where I keep 4x5's or 8x10's etc... Moreover I could know what developer I used, lens, etc...

Better then a spreadsheet I use a app on the Mac to add medadata to the image file itself.

djdister
12-Dec-2014, 10:33
I generate a unique filename for each negative which combines the shooting date with a serial number. Embedded in the serial number is a key which tells me the film size, 120, 4x5, and etc. If you use folders, you could follow a similar pattern of numbering the folder which indicates the negative size too.

Ari
12-Dec-2014, 11:16
What about notching your film holders?
That would add another variable to the numeric coding system you eventually decide upon.

Ramiro Elena
12-Dec-2014, 13:42
Did I mention I have an awesome machine that engraves numbers onto the edge of the film???? :D :D

Jeff Dexheimer
13-Dec-2014, 07:45
I notch my holders much in the "Way Beyond Monochrome" style. I record all the information I need on a sheet of paper. And store my negs according to size in binders only for a specific size and year. I am with vinny on this one, I want to touch my negatives as little as possible. Once dry they go into a sleeve and stay there until I need to print them.

But, if iy are dying to use your machine, I would devise a numbering system that told you what developer you use. Say you have two developers xtol and rodinal. Call then 1 and 2. So negative 4511210 was a 4x5 negative in film holder #1 developed with xtol and shot with a 210mm lens.

John Jarosz
13-Dec-2014, 10:41
Simply give it a unique number that functions like a license plate. All the data attached to that number is then kept in a database.

alavergh
15-Dec-2014, 10:08
I got an old machine that labels large format negatives prior to development from 0 to 9
I am trying to figure out how to use it. Do you have any ideas or process you may want to share?

Apart from labeling each negative with a number I thought it could be worth adding extra information such as negative size, developer...

So, you're asking what we do to label our negatives? The method you described, if you can get it to work, otherwise, some of the film holders I've purchased used have either been notched on the bottom flap or somebody has attached a small transparent piece of acrylic with a number written on it. That way I'll always know which holder was used to shoot that negative. Then, if you wanted to keep track of other stuff, I'd recommend a spreadsheet. It could be a paper spreadsheet or an app. That way you could list the neg#, the film size! subject!many changes in development! and which developer you used.

I'd rather use something other than your machine because it seems like just another thing to do. I assume it leaves a notation similar to on the sides of 35mm film or the film brand and speed on kodak large format film? Or the quartz date on 35mm cameras?

Ramiro Elena
15-Dec-2014, 10:16
I have a few holders that have been notched and I don't like that idea. The machine works with light so it is probably not the greatest idea and like it has been said, it is another step more.
I like the 451214180 idea (4x5/dec 2014/180mm lens) or I could probably ditch the format info and include developer instead.

vinny
15-Dec-2014, 11:27
Here's what I've been doing for about a decade:https://www.flickr.com/photos/62218065@N00/11759612694/
The tape keeps the darkslide in place and eliminates the need to write on the holder with a pencil (which creates more dust when you erase it). I transfer the tape to the box of film, then the neg sleeve temporarily if need be.

C. D. Keth
15-Dec-2014, 23:23
Mine get a number written on as soon as they're dry. I use a system with a date and negative number so, for example, if I developed negs today and am numbering the 6th one, it would be "14 12 15 6"

That number also is used in file naming and metadata when a negative is scanned and worked in photoshop. It's numbered with the year first so that in a directory, the files arrange automatically according to when they were developed.

Dan Dozer
18-Dec-2014, 11:56
Does anyone else out there have the old Agfa Ansco film holders that have the little numbered tab along the margin of the film that gives your negatives a number in the very edge when you develop your film. I have about ten 8 x 10 holders that have that.