PDA

View Full Version : Someone near NYC please buy this!

ScottPhotoCo
11-Dec-2014, 00:31
http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/pho/4798921500.html

beaur
11-Dec-2014, 05:27
I currently have no space for this. Coming back to LF but not there yet. Sent them an email anyway. Hopefully the photo gods will provide.

Kodachrome25
11-Dec-2014, 06:22
Wow....like wow what a deal! I feel bad for the guy, it sure does not look to be unused and neglected.

paulr
11-Dec-2014, 08:12
If no one's jumping on this I'll mention it on Flakphoto.

Daniel Stone
11-Dec-2014, 08:13
SMOKING deal

Peter De Smidt
11-Dec-2014, 09:22
Please, someone grab this.

Tin Can
11-Dec-2014, 09:34
Heck, it's NYC and rent is insane.

But it does show these things are still available.

Looks like he or she mostly did 8x10 enlarged to 30x40.

I would love the 30x40 easel, but the rest somebody else needs.

Rent a box van and go get it.

DrTang
11-Dec-2014, 10:29
might as well pick this up as long as your are getting stuff:

http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/pho/4800175962.html

Jim C.
11-Dec-2014, 12:01
Been eyeballing this, I've been looking for one for the past 4 years
and only two have shown up, this one would be the third.

While we're passing info along there is this pretty little Elwood on Craigslist too -

http://cnj.craigslist.org/pho/4753822044.html

djdister
11-Dec-2014, 12:47
We've got someone in the Washington DC area (Herndon VA) tryign to sell an Elwood 8x10 with Aristo grid 11x14 cold light head:

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/pho/4799542709.html

StoneNYC
11-Dec-2014, 13:33
You know I PMed at least :)

Tin Can
11-Dec-2014, 15:32
Been eyeballing this, I've been looking for one for the past 4 years
and only two have shown up, this one would be the third.

While we're passing info along there is this pretty little Elwood on Craigslist too -

http://cnj.craigslist.org/pho/4753822044.html

But it's NOT an autofocus model!.

So what. It is missing the filter holder, which is listed on EBay.

I have one just like it.

Tin Can
11-Dec-2014, 15:34
might as well pick this up as long as your are getting stuff:

http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/pho/4800175962.html

Does anybody believe it really exists? In Chicago we get listings like this as bait to get a sucker with cash in the wrong place.

Larry Kellogg
11-Dec-2014, 16:11
Does anybody believe it really exists? In Chicago we get listings like this as bait to get a sucker with cash in the wrong place.

Thieves know to use enlargers as bait? This I got to see. A bunch of us need to go!

We vant zee money you brought for zee enlarger Lebowski!!!!

Tin Can
11-Dec-2014, 16:42
Thieves know to use enlargers as bait? This I got to see. A bunch of us need to go!

We vant zee money you brought for zee enlarger Lebowski!!!!

No, the lens in the other CL

Jim C.
11-Dec-2014, 17:08
But it's NOT an autofocus model!.

So what. It is missing the filter holder, which is listed on EBay.

I have one just like it.

I already have a wood model that I'm almost done restoring, but if I didn't I'd be all over the Elwood
auto focus or not, I'm not picky.

Just putting it out there if anyone wants a 5x7 enlarger.

Jim C.
11-Dec-2014, 17:12

The area that it's located in has/had photo studios there, so it may be legit.

Andrew O'Neill
11-Dec-2014, 18:42
OMG what a deal!

Larry Kellogg
11-Dec-2014, 20:20
No, the lens in the other CL

Ve vant zee money you brought for zee vet plate lens Lebowski!

Here, here, I have six dollars.

Evanjoe610
12-Dec-2014, 06:05
Chelsea was part of the photographic movement in the downtown area. Near the waterfront as many of lower Manhattan was, Chelsea had old turn of the century piers and warehouse. As a teenager growing up in NYC, I remember the boxes and crates of OLD photographic equipment to thrown out as garbage. Tintypes and glass plates....

The NEW Chelsea area is home to the Mixed Media Industry, so rest assure the lofts are super nice and I would think that its not a Scam as Larry is squawking about!
I probably could take a drive down there JUST to look it over for anyone interested. Just a LOOK, nothing more. Reminds me of my college days in the Wet Darkroom, but using newer equipment (Yes 8 X 10 enlargers ad many more items than what I see here) plus 14 flatbed process camera..... Chelsea and the upper portion of Houston Street were at one point home to the Graphic Arts industry...

I'm sitting on (3) enlargers: Beseler 23CIII XL, Beseler 23CII XL, and Omega D2V. All collecting dust, as i do my art on my (2) scanners - Scitex Eversmart Pro II and Imacon Flextight Precision III.

Kodachrome25
12-Dec-2014, 10:33
Chelsea was part of the photographic movement in the downtown area. Near the waterfront as many of lower Manhattan was, Chelsea had old turn of the century piers and warehouse. As a teenager growing up in NYC, I remember the boxes and crates of OLD photographic equipment to thrown out as garbage. Tintypes and glass plates....

The NEW Chelsea area is home to the Mixed Media Industry, so rest assure the lofts are super nice and I would think that its not a Scam as Larry is squawking about!
I probably could take a drive down there JUST to look it over for anyone interested. Just a LOOK, nothing more. Reminds me of my college days in the Wet Darkroom, but using newer equipment (Yes 8 X 10 enlargers ad many more items than what I see here) plus 14 flatbed process camera..... Chelsea and the upper portion of Houston Street were at one point home to the Graphic Arts industry...

I'm sitting on (3) enlargers: Beseler 23CIII XL, Beseler 23CII XL, and Omega D2V. All collecting dust, as i do my art on my (2) scanners - Scitex Eversmart Pro II and Imacon Flextight Precision III.

I think they are talking about another ad, anyone who knows NYC knows Chelsea is ripe in photo history. About that darkroom equip, having it collecting dust is no good, you should get it to folks who will take it into the brave new world of analog. I have a dust cover on my scanner for a reason...it collects a lot of it.

Larry Kellogg
12-Dec-2014, 13:31

LOL, sqawking, I was riffing on Randy's idea that it was a scam by quoting lines from The Big Lebowski.

Don't get into your car, I have the lens. The seller made the drop.
The seller is a nice guy, he told me to have fun with it, and I intend to.

So, what do I do, somehow adapt it to my 5x7 Wisner?
Find a cheap 5x7? Do I have to shoot wet plate?

The thing comes with a little focus screw, not attached.
Is that required? It is also kinda stuck, should it in move in and out with no resistance? Twist?

All help appreciated.

Tin Can
12-Dec-2014, 14:44
Good for you, put it on anything you have and shoot it.

I have no ideas about knob twiddling, nobody ever talks about it. I think it was for focus with fixed box cameras. But I sometimes think wrongly.

Larry Kellogg
12-Dec-2014, 14:56
:-)

The pickup was nowhere as dramatic as in the movies.

Yeah, I think you're right, the knob was for fixed box cameras.

I guess I have to figure out if I can fit some Packard shutter in my Wisner or use a hat or two dark slides, lol.

Tin Can
12-Dec-2014, 15:09
:-)

The pickup was nowhere as dramatic as in the movies.

Yeah, I think you're right, the knob was for fixed box cameras.

I guess I have to figure out if I can fit some Packard shutter in my Wisner or use a hat or two dark slides, lol.

I have completed purchases sitting on my van, motor running, feet on both pedals, it was just like a drug purchase, but it was a LF camera in a bad neighborhood. I do not believe it was stolen, unless the college kid was a fence...

Packard shutter is the way to go, I really like them now that my hands are working, sorta.

Larry Kellogg
12-Dec-2014, 16:06
Nah, I bet the college kid just needed cash.

I don't want a permanent Packard solution, is it possible to have a temporary solution?
I shoot too many modern lenses to only use a Packard.
Wisner boards are four inches square, and I see lots of 4 inch Packards but I don't know if it will work.
Plus, I'm a little worried about hanging this lens off my front standard.

Sorry to hear your hands weren't working!

Jody_S
12-Dec-2014, 20:58
I'm sitting on (3) enlargers: Beseler 23CIII XL, Beseler 23CII XL, and Omega D2V. All collecting dust, ....

Only 3? Lucky bastard. I literally can't walk into my workshop without tripping over an old enlarger (or 10). I have them disguised as lamps, stuffed into spare bedroom closets, linen closets, under tables, in boxes (the smaller ones), and I still can't back up my desk chair without hitting a Focomat IIc.

StoneNYC
12-Dec-2014, 21:24
Only 3? Lucky bastard. I literally can't walk into my workshop without tripping over an old enlarger (or 10). I have them disguised as lamps, stuffed into spare bedroom closets, linen closets, under tables, in boxes (the smaller ones), and I still can't back up my desk chair without hitting a Focomat IIc.

Hoarding much?

You only need two in the largest size and carriers for all the lower sizes, one that works, and a backup that works, that's it.... 3 by accident, but any more than 3 and you're hoarding.

Tin Can
12-Dec-2014, 21:31
Forget hoarding, it's nothing to complain about unless you are personally involved with the victim.

Seriously, we should have a survey on how many enlargers each of us have. Of all sizes, not just how many Saltzman's we have...

Might be interesting.

I already did one enlarger poll, so I will not do another.

Anybody good at polls?

StoneNYC
12-Dec-2014, 21:48
Forget hoarding, it's nothing to complain about unless you are personally involved with the victim.

Seriously, we should have a survey on how many enlargers each of us have. Of all sizes, not just how many Saltzman's we have...

Might be interesting.

I already did one enlarger poll, so I will not do another.

Anybody good at polls?

Haha when my darkroom is up and running it will have 2 enlargers, either 1 Saltzman and one Omega 4x5 or if this guy replies to me, 2 Saltzman's

It will be open to the public for use by those on the Ilford darkroom list.

Here's to hoping.

I have 2 other enlargers, a 6x7 I've been trying to give away that will soon go in the trash, and a 4x5 unknown brand that will also soon go in the trash as no one wants it. Or it may go back to its original owner.

Larry Kellogg
13-Dec-2014, 05:41
Packard shutter is the way to go, I really like them now that my hands are working, sorta.

Some said I need one of these adaptor boxes:

http://m.ebay.com/itm/231411653813?_mwBanner=1

Anybody else build them? The Packard shutter goes on the large end. I am certainly a little worried about hanging this much weight off the front of my beautiful 5x7 Wisner.

An old time photographer friend told me I bought a paperweight, which kinda hurts, LOL. He said Imagons were way better. I bought this thing to see if thieves were actually luring people with lenses from the 1800s, haha! What is the bloody thing worth?

As for disparaging people by calling them hoarders, it's a free country, you can buy as many enlargers, lenses, cameras, whatever, as your wallet and space allows.

I have respect for people who keep these enlargers from going to scrap, no matter how many they own. My father restored old John Deere tractors, and did beautiful work. You think you got problems finding parts, try getting a manifold for a 1929 John Deere GP, forty years ago, before eBay. We froze our butts off in the winter getting one off a tractor that had been rusting away for decades.

In the end, we're all dust.