PDA

View Full Version : how can i remove lens shutter from lens board?

lfb
10-Dec-2014, 04:18
i bought a 150mm schneider symmar-s with sinar board.

they were combined. and i want to separate them.

if i turn the lens shutter counter clockwise then is this gonna be separated?

because when i do that it doesn't move.

i am worry that whether this is going to be broke.

Doremus Scudder
10-Dec-2014, 04:45
i bought a 150mm schneider symmar-s with sinar board.

they were combined. and i want to separate them.

if i turn the lens shutter counter clockwise then is this gonna be separated?

because when i do that it doesn't move.

i am worry that whether this is going to be broke.

lfb,

You need the proper tool to remove the retaining ring from the shutter. Then the lens will come right out of the hole.

If you look carefully at the ring holding the shutter to the lens board, you will see small slots that accept the tips of a spanner wrench designed to remove such rings. Some of these wrenches are in the form of a horizontal rod with two adjustable "legs" with tips to fit the slots on the ring. Other wrenches are fixed and usually made from a flat piece of metal with different sizes on each side.

See here for some images https://www.google.at/search?q=lens+spanner+wrench&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=3TGIVKq4GIa7UYmrhPAD&ved=0CCAQsAQ&biw=1456&bih=769&dpr=0.9

You can find them cheaply on auctions sites, etc.

Best,

Doremus

Dan Fromm
10-Dec-2014, 04:45
Obtain or improvise a spanner and use it to unscrew the retaining ring (second photo). Rodenstock makes a tool for that purpose that isn't too expensive.

SergeiR
10-Dec-2014, 08:40
Big scissors will do in pinch. open, stick ends to notches of flange and counter-clock-twist it ;)
Shutter might have a notch in it to prevent it from twisting.

Jac@stafford.net
10-Dec-2014, 09:26
Big scissors will do in pinch. open, stick ends to notches of flange and counter-clock-twist it ;)
Shutter might have a notch in it to prevent it from twisting.

Be careful. Most scissors have little strength when twisted that way. They can shatter or break at the pivot.

towolf
10-Dec-2014, 09:31
Vernier Calipers work as well. Of course whether you want to potentially misalign your calipers when you exert too much force is another question. And they are sharp and can scratch metal (or, god forbid, glass).

SergeiR
10-Dec-2014, 09:31
Be careful. Most scissors have little strength when twisted that way. They can shatter or break at the pivot.

Never had problem :) And i been using it since i was wee kid to take apart watches and stuff.. But then may be i just was lucky :)

Alan Gales
10-Dec-2014, 09:38
Buy one of these: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/131992-USA/Rodenstock_260600_Metal_Lens_Wrench.html

They work great unless you have a lens shutter that is really old and needs a spanner. They are really easy to use and are flat so they fit in your camera bag nicely.

Jac@stafford.net
10-Dec-2014, 10:41
Never had problem :) And i been using it since i was wee kid to take apart watches and stuff.. But then may be i just was lucky :)

Maybe I'm overly cautious due to some serious hand injuries.