PDA

View Full Version : Arca Swiss Model B Carrier Replacement bit thingy...

steveo
8-Dec-2014, 07:05
Last weekend i slipped and fell, unceremoniously on my back with the camera in a pack. At the time I looked over the lens and GG and forgot to check the base thinking it solid steel. But I've managed to break the base tilt lever on the front standard carrier.

From reading around Arca stuff is pretty modular so could someone help me understand what is compatible with my Model B assuming I currently only want to replace the standard carrier. I'm going to try and repair it with some aluminium rod and epoxy but just in case this fails it would be good to know what I'm looking for.

Emmanuel BIGLER
8-Dec-2014, 09:25
Hello from France

Your camera is most probably a pre-1984 model.
The functions carriers of current F-line models are different, but the rail shape and the dovetail attaching the format frame to the function carrier did not change except for the colour, from silver-finish (pre-1984) all Arca Swiss elements are now black anodised.
So at first you could look on eBay for some separate pre-1984 function carriers, they are easy to distinguish, they are silver-finished while all current F-line function carriers are black.
If you go for a modern F-line function carrier, try to negociate with the vendor a possibility to return the item in case they would not perfectly fit your rail and format frames.
The kind of F-line function carrier you could look for, are either the "classic" 1-st generation F-line models for which the format frame is secured to the function carrier with a screw pushing on a moveable part part of the dovetail; or the current F-line model with a spring-pushed clamp. Both will probably fit as far as attaching the format frame is concerned.
More subtle is the question of the fine adjustement of the pre-1984 rail to a modern function carrier, for this It is hard to guarantee that the fit will be perfect.
A good solution would be to meet somebody equipped with a modern F-line Arca Swiss camera and see if a modern function carrier actually fits well your pre-1984 "silver-finish" rail.
I recognise that, living close to Arca Swiss in Besançon, it is easier for me to have access to Arca Swiss spare parts and direct technical support ;)

biedron
8-Dec-2014, 16:49
There were some older function carriers in the For Sale section recently:

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?118250-FS-Arca-Swiss-8x10-4x5-6x9-part-2-function-carriers-and-viewers&highlight=arca+swiss

Not sure if these would work for you or not

Bob

steveo
9-Dec-2014, 09:23
Hello from France

Your camera is most probably a pre-1984 model.
The functions carriers of current F-line models are different, but the rail shape and the dovetail attaching the format frame to the function carrier did not change except for the colour, from silver-finish (pre-1984) all Arca Swiss elements are now black anodised.
So at first you could look on eBay for some separate pre-1984 function carriers, they are easy to distinguish, they are silver-finished while all current F-line function carriers are black.
If you go for a modern F-line function carrier, try to negociate with the vendor a possibility to return the item in case they would not perfectly fit your rail and format frames.
The kind of F-line function carrier you could look for, are either the "classic" 1-st generation F-line models for which the format frame is secured to the function carrier with a screw pushing on a moveable part part of the dovetail; or the current F-line model with a spring-pushed clamp. Both will probably fit as far as attaching the format frame is concerned.
More subtle is the question of the fine adjustement of the pre-1984 rail to a modern function carrier, for this It is hard to guarantee that the fit will be perfect.
A good solution would be to meet somebody equipped with a modern F-line Arca Swiss camera and see if a modern function carrier actually fits well your pre-1984 "silver-finish" rail.
I recognise that, living close to Arca Swiss in Besançon, it is easier for me to have access to Arca Swiss spare parts and direct technical support ;)

Excellent thanks. Probably best to try and get contemporary kit to be on the safe side.

There were some older function carriers in the For Sale section recently:

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?118250-FS-Arca-Swiss-8x10-4x5-6x9-part-2-function-carriers-and-viewers&highlight=arca+swiss

Not sure if these would work for you or not

Bob
Thanks Bob I'll check them out.