PDA

View Full Version : Need advise on spanner wrenches.

Leszek Vogt
7-Dec-2014, 15:44
Howdy,

Just looked around the web (a little) and noticed Rodenstock, Gepe and even General Brand, etc...spanner wrenches. I don't want to go "low branch" hwy, but I also don't need one
for $100. Any suggestions/advise will be considered. Appreciated.

Les

Nodda Duma
7-Dec-2014, 16:01
Hi Les,

At work we usually have custom tools made.. But in a pinch the Neewer sets are inexpensive enough that the tips can be ground down if they don't already fit. They work just fine especially for typical camera lens sizes.

Just look up Neewer spanner wrench on Amazon

Bob Salomon
7-Dec-2014, 16:08
Glad you found aa Gepe but they never made one. The Rodenstock one fits all 0, 1 and 3 Copal, Compur and Prontor shutters on all flat surfaces.

8x10 user
7-Dec-2014, 16:43
I haven't used one but I suspect the SKgrimes spanner wretch (http://www.skgrimes.com/products/spanner-wrench) to be top notch and the price seems good to be.

Christopher Barrett
7-Dec-2014, 16:45
I emailed Grimes to get one of those, never heard back. :(

8x10 user
7-Dec-2014, 16:47
They seem to miss about a quarter of my emails but their work is top notch. I sent them a broken shutter and they machined new parts to make it work. Calling them seems to work.

DennisD
7-Dec-2014, 16:49
I haven't used one but I suspect the SKgrimes spanner wretch to be top notch and the price seems good to be.

I have these in both versions. They are excellent. Solid construction and work well if high torque is needed.

john borrelli
7-Dec-2014, 18:31
Some wrenches don't work with all board and lens combinations. The wrenches made out of a thin square of metal (like the rodenstock) may not work with certain wooden lens boards as the lens boards have a groove that will only accept the pincer style wrenches. There are ebay sellers that sell this type. They look like the Grimes style but can be cruder tools. The type that tapers to a fine point rather than the screwdriver type point is the most flexible. The linhof or other flat metal lens boards are less problematic. The flat wrenches like the rodenstock should be fine just make sure they fit the size and type of shutters on your lenses. The advantage of the flat ones is that they are light weight so you are more likely to pack it rather than leave it at home.

Leszek Vogt
7-Dec-2014, 18:35
Bob, I'm unable to verify this, but I did see Gepe spanner at Midwest (?).

Les

Bob Salomon
8-Dec-2014, 03:38
Bob, I'm unable to verify this, but I did see Gepe spanner at Midwest (?).

Les
No you didn't. They may have mis-labeled it but they did not have a Gepe spanner.

Jac@stafford.net
8-Dec-2014, 06:09
I have these in both versions. They are excellent. Solid construction and work well if high torque is needed.

The first ones were not hard. I bent the pointed tool on a difficult lens.

Leszek Vogt
8-Dec-2014, 07:35
Thanks all. Just ordered one from SK Grimes...it seem rather stout.

Les

Tin Can
8-Dec-2014, 08:35
Thanks all. Just ordered one from SK Grimes...it seem rather stout.

Les

Pretty sure incorrect or lazy usage of tools around lenses accounts for those rear element scratches.