PDA

View Full Version : Toyo-Omega 45F - Reversible back?

M.S.Bizzle
14-Dec-2004, 13:36
I'm so impressed with the rapid responses of this forum. How great!

I'm considering purchasing a Toyo-Omega 45F to photograph artwork. Does this camera have a vertical / horizontal reversible back? (Forgot to ask seller and decided to ask here!)

Also - I believe the 45F has removable bellows, but what else sets the 45F apart from the 45E or other Toyo-Omegas from same time period?

thank you so much.

Gem Singer
14-Dec-2004, 14:04
You already figured it out, M.S. The reversible back and the interchangeable bellows is what sets the camera apart from the Toyo-Omega 45E. Thought you already decided to purchase the 45F from a trusted friend?

Donald Hutton
14-Dec-2004, 14:19
It's a little better than a standard reversible back - it's actually a rotating back (you don't have to remove and re-attach at 90 degrees).

M.S.Bizzle
14-Dec-2004, 14:53
Eugene,

Yeah, I am going with the 45F, but curiousity made me ask - just haven't been able to find good info online about the differecnces in models. But I knew it would be answered here! Thank you.

Bob Fowler
15-Dec-2004, 06:55
Take a look at the Toyo Users Forum at their website. There's a table here (http://www.macuserforums.com/webx?14@32.baDJafF1of1.2@.ee70688 ) which shows the different models.

Gem Singer
15-Dec-2004, 09:56
Thanks for the reference, Bob. Judging from that chart, the Toyo-Omega 45F has a reversible back as well as an interchangeable bellows, while the Toyo-Omega 45G (a later model) has the revolving back. I had a revolving back on my Toyo 45AII, and it made the process of switching from a horizontal format to a vertical format much simpler and safer (no danger of dropping the groundglass back while making the switch, and blowing dirt could not get inside of the bellows).

Bob Fowler
15-Dec-2004, 10:48
Eugene, keep in mind when buying a used Toyo that many of them have been around a while and the parts may have been mixed and matched. I have a 45E with a reversable back, but bought a revolving universal back (via ebay) which I sometimes use as well. The Toyo monorail cameras have been around long enough that you may find one with a back that wasn't standard - like my 45M with a revolving universal back from a 45F!

Bob Fowler
15-Dec-2004, 10:50
I almost forgot...

Columbus Camera Group sells drilled and undrill house brand lensboard for Toyo monorails that are a fraction of the cost of the Toyo version. I picked up several (brand new) on ebay for under $20 each.