PDA

View Full Version : Lee Adaptor Ring

andred2809
7-Dec-2014, 13:11
Hi,

Which adaptor ring to I need for a fujinon W 135mm lens on a 4x5 camera? Will I need the Wide Angle adaptor, or will the standard one suffice?

Regards,

Andy.

Heroique
7-Dec-2014, 13:58
Hey Andy,

Either will suffice – the regular ring is high-quality plastic, the WA ring is aluminum.

The WA ring will allow a bit more room for movements.

In the Lee system, if you're also using a Lee shade, this extra room is pretty helpful in my experience with my 110mm lens.

I think the extra cost of the WA version is well worth it – I purchase them for all focal lengths, long and short.

But if budget is an issue, the regular rings are very well made and will last.

andred2809
7-Dec-2014, 14:44
Cheers pal, I'll go for WA version. I use them for my digital kit, but unfortunately not in such a small diameter.

vinny
7-Dec-2014, 18:44
All of my lee rings (standard and wide) are aluminum. I've never seen a plastic one.
I just use step up rings on all my lenses to 82mm instead of $$$!Lee rings. The standard ring allows you to use a circular pola on it's outer threads as well. Not sure if the wide does since I don't have my gear in front of me.

Heroique
7-Dec-2014, 20:19
Here's an image showing Lee's plastic vs. WA aluminum rings.

The plastic one is lying underneath; the WA version is lying on top of it. These two rings seem to be for two different thread sizes, but their outer diameter would, of course, be the same.

For most sizes, I think the plastic version is $30-40, and the WA is $60-70.

It's been a while since I purchased one -- I'm not sure how Lee is marketing these anymore.

Corran
8-Dec-2014, 08:21
I bought a few (WA) adapter rings on eBay from China for $5 a piece or something like that and they were identical in every way to the Lee rings that I had, and were aluminum.

Just an FYI.

vinny
8-Dec-2014, 08:53
I bought a few (WA) adapter rings on eBay from China for $5 a piece or something like that and they were identical in every way to the Lee rings that I had, and were aluminum.

Just an FYI.

Which seller/brand specifically? I'm afraid to buy ones that won't fit.

Corran
8-Dec-2014, 09:05
I looked it up and this was the seller I purchased them from:
http://www.ebay.com/usr/hody_cameraparts
Specifically this 67mm adapter:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/160847909247

And I guess I was wrong, it was $13, but still! And free shipping from China. They don't say WA on the auction title but look at the photo and you'll see it is, and they came as pictured.