PDA

View Full Version : Replacement for Super Graphic bellows

nightbringer
7-Dec-2014, 09:45
I've recently discovered that there's a big tear in the bellows on my Super Graphic. It hasn't seemed to affect any of my photos yet (I usually shoot in a studio environment), but I want to get it fixed rather than let it come back and bite me and waste film.

Any idea how I could go about replacing the bellows? I've seen some on eBay but after research I figure that it might be better to steer clear of them. I don't use the solenoid on the SG.
Also, any idea of anyone who can do a CLA of these cameras?

IanG
7-Dec-2014, 10:43
In the past I repaired the bellows on a Speed Graphic with black invisible mend tape material, it's made for repairing suits but happens to be light-tight. It's very thin, strong with a permanent adhesive and it's very difficult to spot the repairs, I added the tape on the inside as well as the outside. The repair was done about 6 or 7 years ago and is still perfect.

I think the tape was actually made by 3M and repackaged in small packets, 3M don't sell it in small quantities. The Dutch company selling it ceased trading.

Ian

Teodor Oprean
7-Dec-2014, 20:11
Don't replace the entire bellows. Just patch the tear.

nightbringer
10-Dec-2014, 04:28
On closer examination it seems it's only the outer part of the bellows that is torn, the inside is still good, but how to patch this tear?
I'm thinking getting some electrical tape to patch it up, but would it affect the flexibility of the bellows?

Teodor Oprean
11-Dec-2014, 19:51
Yes, black electrical tape does the job very well. I know because I've tried it.

nightbringer
11-Dec-2014, 21:07
Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a go.