PDA

View Full Version : The new Velvia versus Provia: How do they rate?

chris jordan
14-Dec-2004, 10:18
Hi guys, I'm trying to find a short-term replacement for my favorite film (Astia 100F), and I'm wondering if any of you have tried Velvia 100F and Provia 100F side by side? Before switching to Astia I used Provia, and never liked it at all-- it is wayyy too blue in the kind of light I shoot in, and has thick, heavy oversaturated shadows. I always presumed that Velvia 100F would be even worse, but maybe it isn't? Or, maybe there's a Kodak film out there in 8x10 that would be better, until my beloved Astia is back in town?

I'd appreciate any thoughts or suggestions

~cj

www.chrisjordan.com

Scott Rosenberg
14-Dec-2004, 10:30
hey chris... an earlier thread, one you might recognize, has a few comments on just what you're after. check john hollenberg's comments here (http://largeformatphotography.info/lfforum/topic/497963.html).

Ellis Vener
14-Dec-2004, 10:33
From shooting all three types in a head to head to head comparison: The Provia 100F is closer in contrast range to Astia 100F. Kodak EPN is pretty close to Astia 100F but a bit grainier but you might try E100G as well.

Glenn Kroeger
14-Dec-2004, 12:20
Chris:

I agree with Ellis that Provia is closer in contrast, but, like you, I find Provia tends to go very blue in overcast lighting. Velvia 100F doesn't go as blue, and I find its color palette closer to Astia. I shoot Astia most of the time and carry some Velvia for flat lighting but have pretty much stopped using Provia... of course with scanning and PS, these things can be patched up.

QT Luong
14-Dec-2004, 13:17
I don't know why you assumed that Velvia Fwould be worse. I think it shines in the flat lighting conditions that you like (although the old Velvia would be even less blue). I'd have to agree with Glenn that in overcast, Provia's color is just too awfull.

Scott Atkinson
14-Dec-2004, 19:10
Provia is my LEAST favorite of all the 8x10 films I've tried outdoors. Which is a drag, because it's the only Fuji film that's actually easy to get. I've tried Velvia 100, but after shooting it head-to-head with Kodak 100VS, I preferred the Kodak, and that's my standard in 8x10 . Both of these are pretty contrasty and saturated compared to Astia, at least in other formats--I haven't tried Astia in 8x10 because I can't find it! I'd guess that in terms of contrast and neutrality the closest available match to Astia is Kodak 100G. By the way, can you actually find Velvia 100F in 8x10? I bought one 50-box from Samy's when it first came out, but I haven't seen it since, and some folks state flat-out that it isn't available, period.

David Hempenstall
14-Dec-2004, 22:28
i would have thrown up EPP as a possibility. With a light 81 series in the flatter light, it can have that wonderful pastel, subtle look.

good luck with whatever you find.

and congratulations on pushing ahead with your personal work.

D.

Diane Maher
17-Dec-2004, 22:40
I shot some Velvia 100 & Provia 100 earlier this year at a balloon glow. All the shots were after sunset.