PDA

View Full Version : Tripod Head for Toyo 8x10 Rail Camera

neil poulsen
6-Dec-2014, 17:56
What's a pan/tilt head for a 19lbs, rail 8x10? In particular, a Toyo 8x10 G camera. Like a Sinar F 4x5 rail camera, one gets some side to side tilt just on the rail for leveling the image. So, all that's needed in a head is forward/back tilt and pan.

Right away, I think of the tilt/pan head Sinar tripod head. It has the two needed degrees of freedom. But, is it strong enough for a heavy, 8x10 rail camera? Are there other pan/tilt heads that might work.

Ari
6-Dec-2014, 18:57
I had a Toyo 810G once upon a time, and back then I would use a Manfrotto 229 with hex plates; it did a nice job with the (absurdly heavy) Toyo.
Better if you can find the hex plate with the 4x4 inch platform.
I can't comment much on the Sinar head; I considered buying it at one point for some other heavy camera, but I was told the Sinar head is best used with a Sinar camera.

Taija71A
6-Dec-2014, 19:00
The Cambo SCH Geared Head... Will easily meet your 'Load Requirements'.
Highly Recommended!
--
Best regards,

-Tim.

Peter De Smidt
6-Dec-2014, 20:40
Right away, I think of the tilt/pan head Sinar tripod head. It has the two needed degrees of freedom. But, is it strong enough for a heavy, 8x10 rail camera? Are there other pan/tilt heads that might work.

I used one for a few years with a Sinar P 8x10. I didn't feel a need to look for anything else.

tgtaylor
6-Dec-2014, 21:46
For my Toyo 810G I use a Manfratto 475B w/ 329RC4 low-profile pan/tilt or an Gitzo G1500 w/G1570 head. The benefit of latter is the large platform which allows you to mount two tripod mounts (see my avatar) which results in greater stability. The downside is that you have to tighten the shit out of the pan level handle to keep it from drifting downward. The 329RC4 keeps the camera in a vice grip in which downward drift is impossible. But without the two tripod clamps it is not as stable as the G1500 w/G1570 head.

Thomas

Daniel Stone
7-Dec-2014, 18:10
A Gitzo #5 pan/tilt head can be hand now for under $100. I got mine for $50 shipped a few years ago on ebay. Still one of my favorite tripod heads, and has worked very well for 35mm Nikons up to multiple 8x10 cameras(Calumet C1)

Easily sourced, and tough as nails. Not light, but it's super strong :)

-Dan

Peter De Smidt
7-Dec-2014, 18:26
I agree with Dan. A Gitzo #5 is a great value. The Sinar is a terrific head for Sinar camera, because the head is keyed into the rail holder, and so it's impossible for the camera to spin on the head. But other cameras aren't appropriately keyed.

Cor
8-Dec-2014, 07:55
For my Toyo 810 M Field I use this: http://www.adorama.com/FOFASMIA.html

Sticker shock here, that is not what I paid, I believe about 1% or so including the Manfrotto Triaud (sp?) tripod it lives on.. I am confident it will handle a G810 with ease as well.

Best,

Cor

Ari
8-Dec-2014, 08:24
I am sure the FOBA is an excellent head, Cor, and superbly engineered; I would like to point out that, having owned both the 810G and 810M (currently), they are two very different animals.
The G, even with a short rail, is significantly heavier, no attempt was made to make it lighter; the standards are thick and dense, and its admirable steadiness is a by-product of its heavyweight construction.

Cor
13-Dec-2014, 07:08
Ari, never seen a 810G I trust you on it but won't Load Capacity 44lbs / 20kg for the FOBA do ?

Best,

Cor

I am sure the FOBA is an excellent head, Cor, and superbly engineered; I would like to point out that, having owned both the 810G and 810M (currently), they are two very different animals.
The G, even with a short rail, is significantly heavier, no attempt was made to make it lighter; the standards are thick and dense, and its admirable steadiness is a by-product of its heavyweight construction.

Ari
13-Dec-2014, 08:57
Ari, never seen a 810G I trust you on it but won't Load Capacity 44lbs / 20kg for the FOBA do ?

Best,

Cor

Hi Cor,
Yes, it will work; how well it will work is another question.
It won't work as well as a tripod head with a larger base, or larger QR plates; monorail is a different beast.
The smaller surface area of the FOBA head might introduce a little wobble, due in part to the way a view camera is made, namely, with weight at two ends.
I've seen this with our own FLM heads, which are rated for 20kg (the smaller ones), but try to keep an 8x10 VC steady on one of those. You'll wait a while before the vibration stops.
The displacement of weight makes a difference, as does the overall weight.

Cor
15-Dec-2014, 01:18
I see your point, I use my FOBA in combination with a Manfrotto 394 Quick Release plate (http://www.manfrotto.com.br/quick-release-plate-adapter.html) this plate is not sticking out over the top plate of the AISMA, and is rock steady in combination with my Toyo 810M as well as my INKA (a clumsy and extremely heavy Dutch Sinar (4*5) clone, monorail, heavier than the Toyo even !). That said I agree that a large base plate and 2 attach points to the monorail is probably best

Best,

Cor

Hi Cor,
Yes, it will work; how well it will work is another question.
It won't work as well as a tripod head with a larger base, or larger QR plates; monorail is a different beast.
The smaller surface area of the FOBA head might introduce a little wobble, due in part to the way a view camera is made, namely, with weight at two ends.
I've seen this with our own FLM heads, which are rated for 20kg (the smaller ones), but try to keep an 8x10 VC steady on one of those. You'll wait a while before the vibration stops.
The displacement of weight makes a difference, as does the overall weight.

Michael Graves
15-Dec-2014, 07:05
A Gitzo #5 pan/tilt head can be hand now for under $100. I got mine for $50 shipped a few years ago on ebay. Still one of my favorite tripod heads, and has worked very well for 35mm Nikons up to multiple 8x10 cameras(Calumet C1)

Easily sourced, and tough as nails. Not light, but it's super strong :)

-Dan

Either the Rational 4 or 5 will work fine for this camera...with sturdiness to spare. I have quite a bit of experience with both of the Toyo 8x10 cameras. These heads are a bit heavier, but lock down like vise grips and the action is pretty smooth if you get a clean example. I'm using the R4 on my Berlebach for my 8x10 as we type.