PDA

View Full Version : Mounting Fujinon-L 420 f/8 on Technica board?

Christopher Barrett
6-Dec-2014, 15:18
I just received this lens and wonder what I need to mount it up to the little boards my Chamonix uses? My Rodie A-S 210 W came with a spacer and appropriate deep flange to get it off the board a bit. The Fuji doesn't have anything like that, so if I mount it flush to the board, it fouls the board mount on the front standard and you can't seat the lensboard. Thoughts?

Thanks!
CB

Oren Grad
6-Dec-2014, 16:47
Is the Fujinon in shutter? If so, which one?

Wista and others have offered extender lensboards that allow mounting of standard shutter sizes (1, 3, maybe 0 also) with a bit of clearance from the front standard. If necessary, it's possible to have someone like SK Grimes fabricate a custom extended mount.

Christopher Barrett
6-Dec-2014, 17:00
Thanks, I think a board with slight extender would do the trick. It's in a Copal 3 shutter btw.

Oren Grad
6-Dec-2014, 17:04
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/63472-REG/Wista_214523_Extended_Lensboard_for_3.html

You might be able to find Chinese-made extender boards on eBay for less, also possibly boards with greater extension.

Old-N-Feeble
6-Dec-2014, 18:39
You can get Technika-style extension boards on eBay for less than $50 delivered... from approximately 1cm to 20cm.

Doremus Scudder
7-Dec-2014, 04:22
FWIW, I use a Nikkor M 450 mm f/9 in a Copal #3 shutter on a Technika board regularly. No problems mounting. This is not on a Chamonix, however.

There are two issues you need to consider: First, If the shutter itself contacts part of the front standard on your particular camera, you can shim it out as is already done on your other board or get an extension board. An extension board might be needed anyway depending on your bellows.

Second, the Fuji L lenses are fairly weighty. Make sure the extra weight, especially on an extended board, doesn't put too much strain on your front standard/lens board mount.

Best,

Doremus

Christopher Barrett
7-Dec-2014, 08:19
Thanks, guys! I think this extended board will do the trick nicely. I need to buy an additional board for the new lens anyway.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Adjustable-10mm-15mm-extension-Lens-board-COPAL-3-or-pick-1-0-for-LINHOF-wista-/140939017757?pt=US_Lens_Boards&hash=item20d09ebe1d

CB

Richard Wasserman
7-Dec-2014, 08:32
Chris, I bought similar boards from that seller for my Horseman FA. They're very nice quality and they arrived quickly.

Christopher Barrett
7-Dec-2014, 08:36
Richard, maybe you can answer a question... the ID of the mount is shown to be 79.5mm. The Copal 3 flange I have looks to be just under 79mm OD. So I assume it will work? If not I'll just pick up one of the later thin designs.

Old-N-Feeble
7-Dec-2014, 08:44
Richard, maybe you can answer a question... the ID of the mount is shown to be 79.5mm. The Copal 3 flange I have looks to be just under 79mm OD. So I assume it will work? If not I'll just pick up one of the later thin designs.

I'm not Richard but I bought a similar Copal 3 extension board and the shutter fits perfectly. My example is well-made. Mine is the 100mm version but the tube can be swapped for whatever length tube I need and the top plate can be swapped for Copal 0 or 1. They come in three pieces... the board, tube and plate. I believe you're buying only the board and plate without tube. For another $7 you can have the option of an extra bit of extension and if you don't need it just don't use it.

EDIT to add pics...

126163 126164 126165

Sorry for the dust... this has been sitting on a shelf for quite awhile.

Richard Wasserman
7-Dec-2014, 08:49
Sorry Chris, I can't really help. The boards I bought for my Horseman are much smaller than Technika boards—they only accommodate Copal 0 and 1 shutters. If it helps, whoever makes these boards seems to know what they are doing as everything fit perfectly with the ones I have (which I bought on 2 different occasions)

Richard Wasserman
7-Dec-2014, 08:52
You walk away from the computer for a bit and someone beats you!

I'm curious how long the bellows are on your Chamonix? Sounds like a nice camera.

Christopher Barrett
7-Dec-2014, 08:58
They're supposed to be 420mm on the 4x10. I did get the 420 temporarily mounted and I had bellows to spare. I expect that's the longest lens I'll be using.

Old-N-Feeble
7-Dec-2014, 09:08
They're supposed to be 420mm on the 4x10. I did get the 420 temporarily mounted and I had bellows to spare. I expect that's the longest lens I'll be using.

Then I would buy the 100mm extension set. If you don't need the middle tube just don't use it... but if you ever do need the extra extension then you'll already have it.;)

Richard Wasserman
7-Dec-2014, 09:19
Is any of the work on your website done on 4x10? I look forward to seeing what you will be doing with it.

Christopher Barrett
7-Dec-2014, 09:32
I've only had the 4x10 a couple months but there are a few images in a blog post I made. I think I've put 40 sheets through it so far and have maybe 6 keepers.

http://christopherbarrett.net/blog/?p=2730

Richard Wasserman
7-Dec-2014, 11:43
Nice start! You seem to like the lakefront (and moody weather)—are you familiar with Bob Thalls' "At City's Edge"? It's a black and white somber depiction of Chicago and its interaction/intersection with Lake Michigan.

Peter De Smidt
7-Dec-2014, 14:09
I have a 420L. It's a very good lens. I'm sure that you'll like it.

Christopher Barrett
20-Dec-2014, 19:01
FYI, the Chinese extender board worked perfectly. I've got the 420 all mounted up and am anxious to put it to the test.

Richard, while I'm a fan of Bob's work, I wasn't familiar with the series you mentioned... great stuff! He's also a nice guy, I've exchanged a few emails with and he's been very helpful.

Cheers,
CB

Ari
20-Dec-2014, 19:56
I should have considered one of these before; pardon my ignorance, but how does it work?
Do you need to unmount the lens from its regular lens board, then re-mount it to the extension board?

I have a 650mm [convertible] lens which, when used, must sit behind the shutter, causing a longer-than-normal FFL.
As such, my camera can almost focus it at infinity.

Will such a board help? Will I have to un-mount/re-mount the lens each time I want to use the longest FL?

Thank you, I hope I'm not barging in on this interesting thread.

Richard Wasserman
20-Dec-2014, 20:02
I'm glad I could point you to some unfamiliar work! I've been a fan of his for some time. Bob is a good guy, and not just because he played a significant role in the publication of my book...

FYI, the Chinese extender board worked perfectly. I've got the 420 all mounted up and am anxious to put it to the test.

Richard, while I'm a fan of Bob's work, I wasn't familiar with the series you mentioned... great stuff! He's also a nice guy, I've exchanged a few emails with and he's been very helpful.

Cheers,
CB

Christopher Barrett
21-Dec-2014, 21:09
Ari, the extender is basically like a recessed lens board turned around (to oversimplify it), so you mount your lens on it instead of a flat board. I expect you could mount the convertible in it and leave it... with the shorter focal lengths covered by just using less bellows.

Make sense?

Ari
22-Dec-2014, 06:53
Got it; thank you, Christopher, that makes sense.

Drew Wiley
22-Dec-2014, 14:21
That's an awfully heavy lens. Hope you have a very rigid front standard. Otherwise, you just need a spacer between the board and shutter. You can order Technika
style boards with these built-on.

Christopher Barrett
23-Dec-2014, 08:05
420 mounted on the Chinese extender board. The Chamonix has just a little bellows to spare at Inf. Can't wait to get this beast out into the field!

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/10857791_10204673274126820_877935853206483898_n.jpg?oh=439f2213dac4029cab1acfbab9c8f83b&oe=5544C894&__gda__=1425681150_111c687932718197d870d1781f5d5df8

Richard Wasserman
23-Dec-2014, 08:17
Where I am the sun has come out and it's relatively warm with almost no wind. What are you waiting for, I'm sure you have nothing else to do....