PDA

View Full Version : Is my lens ideal?

jzakko
6-Dec-2014, 11:07
Hi guys, new to large format. I got a wista vx with a schneider symmar S 180mm a few weeks ago, only took 3 shots with it so far. When I first got it, guys at adorama were skeptical of the lens, saying that the mount wasn't 'right' or something. Basically the copal no 1 shutter is labeled wista which threw the guy off (he mentioned never having seen a wista-labeled shutter) and he thinks maybe that's not the proper mount or something and might not produce sharp images. However, I'm not sure how much he knows what he's talking about and the guy at the licensed repair shop didn't see anything wrong with the setup. But since I don't know anything about these mounts, I figured I'd turn the question to you. Here is the link to high-res scans of my first 3 pics, I can also post a pic of the lens if helpful. Maybe the images are fine, but there are some spots where it's a little weird at 100% crop, maybe just the way the light is, or maybe some kind of double image, it just seems like it's not as sharp as it should be. Couldn't get the image embedding to work, so here's links to the full size images from my flickr:

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7577/15884328285_54c6cedbbf_o.jpg
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7559/15883676922_0a478974e0_o.jpg
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7528/15774789137_9cae0744c5_o.jpg

Thanks!

IanG
6-Dec-2014, 11:38
I've seen Wista labelled shutters but usually with Japanese lenses, so the shutter may have been swapped but if the aperture scale is right that won't matter.

Ian

Old-N-Feeble
6-Dec-2014, 11:45
First image shows vertical camera movement probably either wind or pulling on the cable release. Second image shows shallow depth-of-field so probably shot too open. Third image shows diagonal camera movement... I especially like this image though.

Some, Wista-branded lenses came with a proprietary barrel adapter to screw the whole lens onto the front of a special Wista lens board. It does't change the optical qualities of the lens in any way.

BradS
6-Dec-2014, 11:50
I do not have enough bandwidth nor patience to download those image files. Since your question seems to be about the lens, shutter and possibly lensboard you have, c wouldn't it make sense (i.e. can you please) post a photo of the lens and shutter ? A simple, relaitively low-resolution attachment to a post would be sufficient, I'm sure.

Bob Salomon
6-Dec-2014, 12:21
Wista cameras have a threaded hole for a cable which will connect to a Wista shutter and close the lens and set the shutter when the film holder is inserted. These shutters were most usually found on the Nikkor lenses that were supplied by Wista; 135, 150, 210 and 180mm) but we also offered them for sale to dealers seperately. The next to last picture on the below link to the Wista web site will show you a picture of the cable on a Wista going between the press shutter and the camera back.

http://www.wista.co.jp/e_wista/e_show/e_acces/e_acces1/e_acces1.htm

IanG
6-Dec-2014, 12:36
Some Press shutters were made by Copal for Wista and they came with various lens elements fitted, some Fujinon, the Wista branded ones (lenses) are possible Congo but there's no reason why they wouldn't be selling Schneider lenses in them as well.

Ian

Bob Salomon
6-Dec-2014, 13:06
Some Press shutters were made by Copal for Wista and they came with various lens elements fitted, some Fujinon, the Wista branded ones (lenses) are possible Congo but there's no reason why they wouldn't be selling Schneider lenses in them as well.

Ian

Except they didn't. Nikon and Wistar. Who made Wistar is anyone's guess. But they did not offer German branded lenses.

Old-N-Feeble
6-Dec-2014, 14:02
I do not have enough bandwidth nor patience to download those image files. Since your question seems to be about the lens, shutter and possibly lensboard you have, c wouldn't it make sense (i.e. can you please) post a photo of the lens and shutter ? A simple, relaitively low-resolution attachment to a post would be sufficient, I'm sure.

I understand, Brad. However, lower resolution images don't illustrate what the OP is asking about.

jzakko
6-Dec-2014, 16:00
fair enough, here are a couple pictures

Oren Grad
6-Dec-2014, 16:45
That does look like a Copal/Wista Press shutter.