PDA

View Full Version : List of sources of information on lenses

Dan Fromm
6-Dec-2014, 08:41
I've posted a link to my list of links to sources of information on lenses several times. The list is on Microsoft's Onedrive, formerly Skydrive.

Microsoft has completed the transition from Skydrive to Onedrive and all of the links to files there that I've shared have changed. Aaargh!

The new link to my list of links to ... is http://1drv.ms/1w0vbMD I just tried it, it works. The old one doesn't.

djdister
6-Dec-2014, 08:50
Thanks Dan. This is very handy for us lens nerds...

Oren Grad
6-Dec-2014, 10:31
Thanks for the update!

The Congo lens website appears to be down. However, it can still be retrieved by feeding the URL in your listing to the Wayback Machine at archive.org.

Tin Can
6-Dec-2014, 11:05
Thanks Dan!

Dan Fromm
6-Dec-2014, 12:21
Oren, I suggested using archive.org in the list's first paragraph.

Oren Grad
6-Dec-2014, 12:37
Oren, I suggested using archive.org in the list's first paragraph.

Excellent, sorry I'd missed that. Given the rate of company- and product line-rot and corresponding link-rot in this domain, it's not reasonable to expect that such a list can be always up to date, so archive.org becomes an essential piece of the toolkit.

Tin Can
6-Dec-2014, 12:43
Excellent, sorry I'd missed that. Given the rate of company- and product line-rot and corresponding link-rot in this domain, it's not reasonable to expect that such a list can be always up to date, so archive.org becomes an essential piece of the toolkit.

Oren you are so right, it is sad to see link rot here and all the missing images and data.

I always forget to try the Archive and even it does not contain everything.

People have little patience for those of us (like me) who repeat things, but a lot of what is posted here and all over the World Wide Lost is gone for good. :(

Oren Grad
6-Dec-2014, 12:56
Of course, link-rot applies too to all of the valuable historical lens information that Dan has tracked down. Where the posted format allows, I try to save local copies of anything that's of special interest to me, because as you say, even archive.org is never complete.

Dan Fromm
6-Dec-2014, 15:30
To add to the fun, there were three links to files I shared on Skydrive in my list. I've corrected it and reposted. Arrgh! again.

Dan Fromm
31-Jan-2015, 08:21
Thanks to Emmanuel Bigler for directing my attention to a 1906 catalog from E. Krauss, Paris. It is now in the list and the updated list is still available at http://1drv.ms/1w0vbMD

While I was at it, I archived the page at www.archive.org