PDA

View Full Version : No empty film boxes for shipping exposed film - what to do?

NoBob
5-Dec-2014, 02:14
Just starting out, so I don't have any empty film boxes for storing and shipping exposed film.

What are the alternatives?

Are these ok?
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/15808-REG/Delta_13510_Light_Tight_Safe_T_Bags_with.html

Liquid Artist
5-Dec-2014, 02:55
Most people just go to the for sale, wanted section. If there isn't any ads just start one. Price is usually the cost of shipping or so.

steveo
5-Dec-2014, 03:30
I've managed to stockpile enough holders to get me through a few sessions with out having to unload in between. Should do till I get through some more boxes.

Tobias Key
5-Dec-2014, 03:33
When I first started I just emailed my film lab and asked them to send me some boxes. They happily obliged.

Jeff Dexheimer
5-Dec-2014, 08:59
Back when I shot color, I used my first box as storage for both exposed and unexposed film. The box is three layers, a plastic bag and some cardboard dividers. Just slip the exposed film on the underside of the cardboard dividers. Face the notches inward for the exposed film and outward for the unexposed film. Once you are through the box, you now have your first empty box you can used for storage.

djdister
5-Dec-2014, 09:29
I've used some of the light tight bags from B&H and they work just fine. I will also add that I have used these bags as the "inner box" inside of a normal film or paper box as an extra security layer for exposed film. But you have to tell the lab (if you send it out) that you expect that black bag back...

Just starting out, so I don't have any empty film boxes for storing and shipping exposed film.

Are these ok?
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/15808-REG/Delta_13510_Light_Tight_Safe_T_Bags_with.html

SergeiR
5-Dec-2014, 10:08
What do you need? 4x5? 8x10? You can ask people. We not biting and some of us got empty boxes

Simplest and probably easiest solution - paper safe ;)

Jim Becia
5-Dec-2014, 10:30

Are these ok?

4x5 or 8x10?

Jac@stafford.net
5-Dec-2014, 17:24
This might seem silly but I cut the corners of a three-part box, flattened each to make a template to make my own boxes.

Regular Rod
6-Dec-2014, 03:57
Just 'phone the lab. you intend to use and ask them for help. That's how I got round the problem. One call and two days later, in the post 4 boxes arrived complete with the bags and I was ready to go. Your name and address on the box with a request for the lab. to return it and you need worry no more.

RR

NoBob
6-Dec-2014, 08:09
Thanks all for the advice and suggestions. Am not in the US, so getting hold of empty boxes isn't so easy.

I'm going to get some of the bags from B&H. I have several things in my 'cart' already.

I also emailed thedarkroom.com about what they meant in their FAQ by "If you use one of these bags, please pack carefully so it is not cut by postal equipment".

They said: "When the mail arrives and is opened, make sure it is packed carefully and does not go all the way to the edges of the envelop so that the bag is not cut when we open it. make sure the bag and envelope are not the same size and place something sturdy like cardboard on the outside of the bag on either side."

I'm going to make a cardboard sandwich (the film in the bag, taped in place between two pieces of cardboard [bigger than 4x5]) and put it in a large envelope.

Liquid Artist
6-Dec-2014, 08:42
Some cardboard envelopes come with a little tear strip that makes opening them safer.
They are what I usually ship my photos in.

NoBob
6-Dec-2014, 09:17
Thanks, I'll see if anywhere sells them.

BradS
6-Dec-2014, 09:20
....Am not in the US, so getting hold of empty boxes isn't so easy.....

That may not be a very good assumption. There are many here who are not in the US.

Please edit your profile and add your location...it is helpful in so many ways.

Really all you need to do is ask (and say where you are). Many of us have a surplus. :)

But, here's another way to deal with it...get 13 film holders - then you can load an entire box of 25 sheets into film holders and have an empty box!

Deval
6-Dec-2014, 17:13
Many labs accept loaded film holders and will return them post development