PDA

View Full Version : An invitation to landscape photographers

paulr
13-Dec-2004, 20:38
After being unable to find something like it on the web, I started a yahoo group called Contemporary Landscape Photography.

Here's the description from the home page:

This is a group for artists interested in contemporary issues in landscape photography. We also welcome curators, critics, collectors, and those working in other media (including the written word) who have something to add on the topic, but the focus is photography. Our definition of landscape is a loose one; we embrace the urban, suburban, and industrial landscape as well as the pristine variety. We strongly prefer images with depth beyond prettiness--we are not interested in work that looks like postcards, unless it is being discussed in a broader, deeper-reaching context. We are also not interested in discussing f-stops, chemistry, and gizmos, unless the discussion serves a larger issue. There are plenty of other places on the web for all that.

I'd invite anyone who might be interested to join, even though the group is brand new and currently without content. Think of it as a barren, dessicated landscape waiting for your form-finding genius to make something out of it. It will be your ideas and input that ultimately make this group a valuable resource and community.

If you know anyone else who might be interested, please pass this along.

The address is:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/contemporarylandscape/ (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/contemporarylandscape/)

tim atherton
13-Dec-2004, 22:24
great idea paul!

Graeme Hird
14-Dec-2004, 01:30
Sorry Paul,

I can't make it. I've come to the realisation that my work is mainly oversized postcards - I make pretty pictures of the landscape ,whether they be urban, suburban, industrial or the pristine variety. I like "pretty" because I have an optimistic outlook. Dark, brooding and profound I'm not so good at.

If you drop the restrictions, I'll stop in and contribute.

Cheers,
Graeme

Ken Lee
14-Dec-2004, 05:01
I added a small album of images, but it does not appear to be visible to others.

If you enable that setting, others will be able to share images for discussion.

Finally, someone can tell me if they are merely pretty, or something more :-)

Bob._3483
14-Dec-2004, 05:27
Yikes! I've not been to Yahoo groups for ages.... how can you stand that intrusive advertising? Sorry, makes it unuseable for me. Good luck, but I think you need to move it elsewhere.

Cheers,

julian_4860
14-Dec-2004, 05:39
Its a pain Bob, but for yahoo groups I just set my mail app to text only and you don't see any of it

paulr
14-Dec-2004, 06:32
"I make pretty pictures of the landscape ,whether they be urban, suburban, industrial or the pristine variety. I like "pretty" because I have an optimistic outlook. Dark, brooding and profound I'm not so good at.
If you drop the restrictions, I'll stop in and contribute."

Graeme,
I have nothing against pretty pictures ... just a predisposition that prettiness is an optional ingredient in the beautiful or the significant, and that prettiness by itself isn't enough to cary an image.

Before you reject yourself from the group, why don't you stop by and see the kinds of things people are posting and discussing? Maybe it will click. You don't even have to join to see read the postings.

It's been less than a day and already a small village is forming.

paulr
14-Dec-2004, 06:47
"Yikes! I've not been to Yahoo groups for ages.... how can you stand that intrusive advertising? Sorry, makes it unuseable for me. Good luck, but I think you need to move it elsewhere."

Yeah, the advertising can be a nuissance, but as Julian said, you can always just receive it as text.
I'd be open to other options if I could find them. Creating and administering a site like this one really isn't something I can do. Even if I knew how, this would be way too much to take on. Yahoo provides a structure already in place, so all a group needs to do is find each other and show up. My kind of party .. dress casual.

Philippe Gauthier
14-Dec-2004, 08:57
Paul, I have a relatively sleepy photo bulletin board up and running. It's well set up, though, and you can upload pictures along with your text. If Yahoo Groups annoy you and your people, I'll be glad to create a new forum on my system and to welcome you all absolutely free of charge (this is basically a demo site and the expenses are part of my firm's budget).

Check the site (it might be down for short periods as we upgrade the software today) and write me if you find the offer interesting.

http://photopixel.tilttek.com (http://photopixel.tilttek.com)

Bill_1856
14-Dec-2004, 09:56
Unlike Photo.net, which works quite intuitively, I've never been able to get the Yahoo Forums to function where I can use them.

paulr
14-Dec-2004, 10:19
Thanks for the input, everyone. I'll see how things go for now in the current format. If people start grumbling about anything, then we'll explore jumping ship.

So far I'm finding yahoo to be limited, but quite intuitive.

Seems like there's been a big pent-up demand for this ... the group's been around less than 12 hours and there are almost 50 members.

Ken Lee
14-Dec-2004, 10:52
Phillipe - Please check the spelling. That site does not seem to be available. The link fails.

Philippe Gauthier
14-Dec-2004, 11:01
The link is OK, but the site isn't - it was scheduled for a major maintenance today and it takes longer than expected. It should be back on line later this afternoon or this evening, though.

Philippe Gauthier
14-Dec-2004, 22:23
The maintenance took longer than expected, but the site is back on line, now. I'll be glad to let you moderate your own group within the site if Yahoo ever fails you.