PDA

View Full Version : Bent Front Rails on a Crown Graphic

The Reverend
2-Dec-2014, 09:36
Howdy,

this is my first time posting. After a long time digital i decided to get back into film. Real film. I have been eying with 4x5 shooting for a long time and finally won a "broken" Crown Graphic on ebay germany for 59 Euros. I choose the crown because its cheap, robust and i shoot potraiture only so a slighty longer normal (150-210) and maybe a wideangle later down the road will be enough and i dont think i will need any movements for my style of shooting. Its on its way two me and has two problems:

1. The rangefinder cam is broken, but i dont really mind because i will dismount the rangefinder anyway.
2. The front rails were bent while closing the camera, i attached a picture of the seller, you can clearly see the bend on the end of the front rails. So far the camera is still working, but you have to fiddle the front standart by hand in the front rails since they dont allign correctly anymore.

So, here are some questions, is it possible to bend the rails back in shape without braking them? i suppose they are aluminium and aluminium is always brittle. If you advise against bending, i would start looking for a new set of rails. Sending it out for repair is not an option, broke student here and repair work always helps me to build an emotional connection to the camera.

Does this forum have some kind of private trading section? I still need a lens board, a cheap lens and some film holders and i usually try to avoid ebay. Prices in the USA seem a lot better then here in germany where analog shooting seems to be a hobby of rich elderly men with leicas, zeiss lenses and ridicolousy expansive equipment.

mdarnton
2-Dec-2014, 09:57
I'm not seeing anything in your photo that's bent--it's all pretty tiny in your small photo, though, even when I click through to the small "large" version. You can buy rails on Ebay, not too expensive, usually.

Jim C.
2-Dec-2014, 11:55
The rails may be brass, only sure way to find out is to take it out and buff off the plating in a inconspicuous spot.

Jim Graves
2-Dec-2014, 14:22
First place to go when you start with a Graphic is: LINK (https://www.graflex.org/)

It has an excellent search function ... and a trouble/help forum.

Alan Gales
2-Dec-2014, 14:55
You could always buy a "junk" Crown off Ebay, swap the rails and anything else you want and then resell the junk Crown as a "parts" camera.

If you do this then don't forget to steel the infinity stops off the junk camera. They will come in handy when you get another lens.

The Reverend
2-Dec-2014, 16:01
Thanks for the suggestions, i guess i will have to wait for the camera to see whats really going on. Crown Graphics are not that common here in germany. Got another email from the seller that the problem is related to the rail in the body. I hope the rail holders are not broken. I will post more detailed information when i receive the camera, should be here in 1 or 2 days. I downloaded the service manual too, thanks for the tip.

And i have to ask again, dont we have a classifieds section here in the forum? I still a lens and a matching lensboard

Jon Shiu
2-Dec-2014, 16:14
What happens sometimes is the user forgets to retract the rail into the body before trying to close the camera. This bends the rear section of rail and sometimes the guides inside.

Jon

The Reverend
2-Dec-2014, 16:17
What happens sometimes is the user forgets to retract the rail into the body before trying to close the camera. This bends the rear section of rail and sometimes the guides inside.

Jon

I think from the description of the seller this is exactly what happened here. Is it fixable or should parts be completely replaced?

Jon Shiu
2-Dec-2014, 16:27
It might be fixable with some bending and filing, but best to replace the rail and you might be able to reverse the guide rail.

Jon

Alan Gales
2-Dec-2014, 16:38
Yes, there is a for sale section here in the Community Section at the bottom of the forum page. You have to be a member for a month before you can access it or the lounge.

The Reverend
5-Dec-2014, 09:44
Howdy,

well, the Camera arrived to days ago. And actualy nothing was broken at all, the rear rails just slipped out of the holders. I slipped them back in and now everything works just fine... now i just have to survive this damn 30 days waiting period.

csxcnj
5-Dec-2014, 11:04
Howdy,

well, the Camera arrived to days ago. And actualy nothing was broken at all, the rear rails just slipped out of the holders. I slipped them back in and now everything works just fine... now i just have to survive this damn 30 days waiting period.

Language Rev, language.....;) Glad it worked out that the rails were okay. The front standard of my Super Graphic was not on the rails when I got it. Minor freak out cleared up by the seller in one email thank goodness.

The Reverend
5-Dec-2014, 11:09
Sorry... i had planned to repair this thin for weeks. Now i have a working camera, lots of spare time and very itchy fingers :D