PDA

View Full Version : Reducing backs

Sheldon Crook
12-Dec-2004, 15:00
I am a complete "newbie" in this field, yet to shoot my first LF sheet of film or get my darkroom set up. I have acquired two old view cameras, an 8x10 and a 5x7. The 5x7 is a 'Chicago View" brand and has two backs, the 5x7 and a 6.5x8.5 (what was called a full sheet I believe). I have no use or plans to use the 6.5x8.5 back but would like to obtain a reducing back for this camera to 4x5. If anyone would have use for the larger back I would be happy to sell or swap for a 4x5 reducing back. I also have a 4x5 back for a camera that I don't have or recognize. It has a pop up back over the glass with side curtains. I'd be willing to throw that in too if it helps. Is something like this possible or am I whistling in the dark? Thanks, Sheldon

Oren Grad
12-Dec-2004, 15:39
I'm not familiar with the "Chicago View" model. If it's not similar to one of the more common models, such as the various Eastman or Korona models, you may have a hard time finding an existing reducing back. However, if you have a spare 4x5 back as you indicate, it should be easy for a craftsman such as Richard Ritter or Alan Brubaker to use it to build a reducing back specifically for your camera. You would have to send them the 4x5 back along with your camera, and they would build a reducing back to fit. This might cost as much as $200-300, and depending on their backlog, you might have to wait a few months for the work to be completed.

Another possibility would be to adapt an existing 5x7/4x5 reducing back from another camera to yours, if the back dimensions allow - it's often possible to adapt smaller backs to fit larger cameras.

If you don't want to spend the money on a custom adaptation, you might be better off buying a different 5x7 camera for which a 4x5 reducing back is readily available, or even just buying a 4x5 camera if you think you will be using that format frequently.

Oren Grad
12-Dec-2004, 15:42
One other point occurs to me - you say that you have yet to shoot your first sheet of film. Before you spend any money on additional backs or adaptations, you should probably just "get your feet wet" - go ahead and use the camera to take some 5x7 pictures. You will learn a whole lot in a hurry, and the experience may well change your mind about where you want to focus your effort and your available money.

Ralph Barker
12-Dec-2004, 18:06
Although the film choices in 5x7 are somewhat limited compared to 4x5, I'd agree with Oren. You might want to try the 5x7 (assuming you have film holders) first. You might like it. Many people do, and it's a nice size for smallish contact prints.

Although the description of the 4x5 back you gave could fit various models, I suspect it might be for a Graflex press camera. If the springs are still good, and depending on the model, it might form the basis for a good adapter back, as Oren also suggested. If you could post a digital image of the 4x5 back, someone here might be able to identify it for you.

Ernest Purdum
13-Dec-2004, 07:51
Don't let that 6.5X8.5 back get away from you just yet. It might form the basis for a relatively inexpensive adapter back as compared to the cost of having one built from scratch. A local woodworker could do this work.