PDA

View Full Version : Just got a Crown Graphic

RodinalDuchamp
1-Dec-2014, 21:43
I just received my CG I bought from eBay. It has the ektar 127 which is awesome because I was hoping to get one with a wide angle. The shutter seems to work OK could probably use a CLA.

I am impressed by how stout everything feels. It is great to feel how something truly American made with metal feels, if only we were so lucky today.

I am going to attach some really low quality pictures.

I have attached a series vi no.28 adapter ring which I believe is 38mm so I can later have a lens hood which is on order. Those of you who have lens hoods on the ektar, mine just kind of popped on I couldn't get it to screw on but it feels like its on solid. Does yours pop on and screw off?

I am interested in stripping it down to bare minimum for a light weight field camera setup.

I am interested in getting some feedback about basic maintenance and cleaning that should be done before shooting. Thanks

Cheers.

David Karp
1-Dec-2014, 23:17
Just so there is no surprise, the box is wood.

johnm
1-Dec-2014, 23:33
I don't think my ektar 127 has front threads, it also runs out of room on 4x5 with very little movement....ask me how I know :rolleyes:

RodinalDuchamp
2-Dec-2014, 05:26
I don't think my ektar 127 has front threads, it also runs out of room on 4x5 with very little movement....ask me how I know :rolleyes:
I really just need some rise. I read everywhere to buy the series vi 38mm adapter ring. Mine sort of just pressed on to the inside of the lens. Hope I didn't break anything but its on sturdy.

jbenedict
2-Dec-2014, 07:34
Please don't strip it down... It makes them so ugly- especially the top rangefinder Pacemakers. The amount of weight saved is minimal. I'm guessing the amount of weight removed by taking off the rangefinder, viewfinder and hand strap to be about the same as a ham sandwich and a candy bar. It's nice to be able to use the hand strap to hold onto a camera. It's kind of nice to have an innocent bystander look at your camera and say, "That's a handsome camera" than have them say nothing and think, "Wow. What an ugly piece of crap."

The Ektar 127 was designed to be the standard lens for the 3.25x4.25 camera. You can use rise to the limits of the Crown Graphic but you are bound to get a little vignetting on the corners. I've never thought that kind of stuff was too objectionable and the corners can be dodged in the darkroom and they are not as obvious.

RodinalDuchamp
2-Dec-2014, 07:56
Please don't strip it down... It makes them so ugly- especially the top rangefinder Pacemakers. The amount of weight saved is minimal. I'm guessing the amount of weight removed by taking off the rangefinder, viewfinder and hand strap to be about the same as a ham sandwich and a candy bar. It's nice to be able to use the hand strap to hold onto a camera. It's kind of nice to have an innocent bystander look at your camera and say, "That's a handsome camera" than have them say nothing and think, "Wow. What an ugly piece of crap."

The Ektar 127 was designed to be the standard lens for the 3.25x4.25 camera. You can use rise to the limits of the Crown Graphic but you are bound to get a little vignetting on the corners. I've never thought that kind of stuff was too objectionable and the corners can be dodged in the darkroom and they are not as obvious.
My reasoning is that I shoot almost exclusively in areas I do not want to draw attention or am isolated anyway, and it would make it slightly more compact, I could store the accessories away so that they don't become in danger of being bumped or bruised on one of my outings. The handstrap will stay no matter what it's too practical.

I bought this camera mainly for nocturnal architecture work but also for traditional landscape. I only need a little rise to correct some structures occasionally but I love the 127 perspective so I'm sure I'll learn to cope/mitigate any fall off

John Kasaian
2-Dec-2014, 08:42
Its not a field camera. It's designed for being hand held press camera, and if you want to photograph in places where you don't want to draw attention(I'm thinking crime ridden inner city,) well they work well for that (at least better than most view cameras) They are wonderful cameras and the top mount RF is the best of the best IMHO but for nocturnal architecture, even with a tripod, suspect you're going to have challenges.
If you want to use movements, and Crowns do have limited movements, you'll speedily run out of wiggle room with the 127 Ektar. The 127 Ektar is really a incredibly fine lens for capturing details, but lacks the acreage for movements.
For nocturnal architecture you may want to consider a Super Speed (or Linhof if you've got the loot) which offer more movements, coupled with a lens with more generous coverage like a 135mm Wide Field Ektar.
My 2 cents anyway.
Edit Not wanting to sound discouraging here! I spent a lovely couple of mornings photographing delightfully funky pre Pearl Harbor attack buildings in Waikiki with a Crown and a 127mm Ektar 'cause that's what I had. It can certainly be done even at night (well, not any more those buildings have been torn down) but if I were investing in a kit especially for nocturnal architecture there are other options worth considering.

RodinalDuchamp
2-Dec-2014, 08:50
Its not a field camera. It's designed for being hand held press camera, and if you want to photograph in places where you don't want to draw attention(I'm thinking crime ridden inner city,) well they work well for that (at least better than most view cameras) They are wonderful cameras and the top mount RF is the best of the best IMHO but for nocturnal architecture, even with a tripod, suspect you're going to have challenges.
If you want to use movements, and Crowns do have limited movements, you'll speedily run out of wiggle room with the 127 Ektar. The 127 Ektar is really a incredibly fine lens for capturing details, but lacks the acreage for movements.
For nocturnal architecture you may want to consider a Super Speed (or Linhof if you've got the loot) which offer more movements, coupled with a lens with more generous coverage like a 135mm Wide Field Ektar.
My 2 cents anyway.
I don't have the loot lol. This camera ran me about $300 and another $50 for used film holders. Im in for a total of about $400 with shipping. This is my first 4x5 so I'm just getting my feet wet. I think this guy should be able to make pictures that exceed my own ability at this point.

AA did say the best wide angle lens was taking two steps back.

John Kasaian
2-Dec-2014, 09:05
I don't have the loot lol. This camera ran me about $300 and another $50 for used film holders. Im in for a total of about $400 with shipping. This is my first 4x5 so I'm just getting my feet wet. I think this guy should be able to make pictures that exceed my own ability at this point.

AA did say the best wide angle lens was taking two steps back.
You're destined for a lot o fun then! Have you checked out www.graflex.org yet?

Drew Bedo
2-Dec-2014, 09:31
RD: You have a good camera and lens set up. It is capable of good photography.

Generally speaking, I do not encourage severly altering these old cameras when they seem to be essentially intact and in original condition. Back in the 1980s these were being thrown away or sold as junk (OK, I exaggerate some). Now there wre fewer and fewer of these vintage cameras in original condition. .

If you want one of these cameras as a minimalist self storing camera, please get one that is very poor cosmetically . . .a fixer-upper . . . and fix it up. I have a pre-anniversary that someone resurrected by stripping the leather off, pulling the focal plane shutter and the view finder and rangefinder, . . .hand strap and everything else. Then they filled the voidsand gaps with Bond-O and painted it black..

When stripped down the wood is sometimes not that great to look at. . it was ment to be covered and a blemish or two didn't matter. I have seen some that look good and some that look less so.

If you are trying to be low-observable, one of the Polaroid conversions with a Grafmatic might be a good way to go. The "standsrd" lens is often a 127mm. It is self-storing and has a paealax corrected combined range/viewfinder. The un-modified Polaroids are not revered as a classic or vintage camera.

Anyone else feel this way or am I just trying to pet a unicorne here?

RodinalDuchamp
2-Dec-2014, 09:39
The consensus seems to think leaving it alone is the best practice. I will concede, she will remain original.

Now that you bring up polaroids I definitely want to delve into this topic more. I have twin girls and would love to be able to use this camera with a polaroid back for instants and possible negative recovery. Though I have read some articles about the different pola oid/Fuji backs I am Stoll confused. Maybe someone on here knows which backs are the easiest to find film for which seems to be the main issue.

Alan Gales
2-Dec-2014, 09:52
If you strip it down you will hurt it's resale value. Shoot with it a while first before disassembling it just in case you end up not liking it for some reason.

Personally, I wouldn't strip down a nice looking one. There are plenty of ugly ones out there for that.

Peter York
2-Dec-2014, 10:05
I stripped the rangefinder from a Meridian 4x5 many years ago, thinking that I would never use it. That was the dumbest mistake I ever made with large format. Your shooting style will probably change over time, and the top mounted rangefinder works brilliantly for handheld, night, and fast photography.

RodinalDuchamp
3-Dec-2014, 09:19
You're destined for a lot o fun then! Have you checked out www.graflex.org yet?

No, I haven't been there yet but thanks I'll check it out.

photonsoup
3-Dec-2014, 19:36
The consensus seems to think leaving it alone is the best practice. I will concede, she will remain original.

Now that you bring up polaroids I definitely want to delve into this topic more. I have twin girls and would love to be able to use this camera with a polaroid back for instants and possible negative recovery. Though I have read some articles about the different pola oid/Fuji backs I am Stoll confused. Maybe someone on here knows which backs are the easiest to find film for which seems to be the main issue.

A polaroid 405 works great with this camera. My grandkids love to take instant pictures of each other with it. The Fuji FP100c is readily available, i get mine from Amazon. If you really want to have some fun at night get some FP3000b, it's been discontinued but there is still some available.

The 405's seem to have come down some on Ebay, you should be able to find one in the $100-150 range.

David Schaller
4-Dec-2014, 07:56
I agree with you Drew. Plus no one wants to buy a stripped down Crown, so you'd be killing the resale value by doing that. Intact, the camera probably can be resold at, or close to, the purchase price. (Sorry, I didn't move to page 2, so this is redundant, but I'll add my voice to the chorus)

RodinalDuchamp
4-Dec-2014, 08:56
A polaroid 405 works great with this camera. My grandkids love to take instant pictures of each other with it. The Fuji FP100c is readily available, i get mine from Amazon. If you really want to have some fun at night get some FP3000b, it's been discontinued but there is still some available.

The 405's seem to have come down some on Ebay, you should be able to find one in the $100-150 range.
Thank you! I have twin baby girls and my wife is always bugging me for more pictures but I really hate digital cameras yes I'm one of "those" people. Instant pictures would be so great, I'm eyeballing eBay now for one of those backs.

RodinalDuchamp
4-Dec-2014, 08:58
I agree with you Drew. Plus no one wants to buy a stripped down Crown, so you'd be killing the resale value by doing that. Intact, the camera probably can be resold at, or close to, the purchase price. (Sorry, I didn't move to page 2, so this is redundant, but I'll add my voice to the chorus)
Well what I meant by stripping it down wasn't to discard all the pieces but merely remove them and store them away to be used at some later point in time but I've decided just to leave it alone. I can't get the focusing viewfinder to do anything, its supposed to align the two images which would be handy but I can't get it to work. Does it take those old batteries or something?

Dan Fromm
4-Dec-2014, 09:27
Good for you for deciding to leave the rangefinder on the camera. If you attempt to remove it you will lose pieces that are very hard to replace.

You've been told to visit www.graflex.org. Do so, you'll get better advice and help there than here. For a repair manual that covers your camera, go to http://www.southbristolviews.com/ and click on Graflex Manuals.

smithdoor
4-Dec-2014, 12:08
Great camera I have just like I have use for over 40 years still have today
Just look left

Dave

Steven Tribe
4-Dec-2014, 14:08
You've been told to visit www.graflex.org. Do so, you'll get better advice and help there than here.

Typically, people here have Crowns or Speeds AND other large format cameras. Graflex.org is a super place for a starter, with lots of practical information in non-forum sections.

R. Peters
4-Dec-2014, 19:52
Don't assume the infinity stops are set correctly. I've had a few graphics over the years and I never had ONE where the infinity stops were set correctly. Set it on a tripod, open the lens wide open and focus on a smoke stack, tree, or something at least 3/4 of a mile away. Then check the infinity stops. Odds are you'll have to use a jeweler's screwdriver to loosen the screws and move the infinity stops. If you need to adjust the rangefinder, there is a cam below and behind the bellows that can be set to infinity. If the rangefinder proves to be way out of adjustment, there are instructions on Graflex Org on how to adjust the Kalart Rangefinder. It isn't that difficult.
bob

RodinalDuchamp
4-Dec-2014, 20:00
Don't assume the infinity stops are set correctly. I've had a few graphics over the years and I never had ONE where the infinity stops were set correctly. Set it on a tripod, open the lens wide open and focus on a smoke stack, tree, or something at least 3/4 of a mile away. Then check the infinity stops. Odds are you'll have to use a jeweler's screwdriver to loosen the screws and move the infinity stops. If you need to adjust the rangefinder, there is a cam below and behind the bellows that can be set to infinity. If the rangefinder proves to be way out of adjustment, there are instructions on Graflex Org on how to adjust the Kalart Rangefinder. It isn't that difficult.
bob
Thanks for the tips, I'll be sure to take you up on the advice.

Alan Gales
4-Dec-2014, 20:34
I just pulled out the front standard on my Crown and the infinity stops moved. I'm going to have to reset them and tighten them down again. I own a set of cheap little screwdrivers I bought at the hardware store. They work on the Crown and on my Calumet shutter speed testers for changing the batteries. They come in handy for many things.

Watch on Ebay for infinity stops for sale. They can come in handy for additional lenses. I added a set on mine for a 210mm lens. The infinity stops make it faster to focus.

The battery in the camera is for a light.

Enjoy!

RodinalDuchamp
4-Dec-2014, 20:35
I just pulled out the front standard on my Crown and the infinity stops moved. I'm going to have to reset them and tighten them down again. I own a set of cheap little screwdrivers I bought at the hardware store. They work on the Crown and on my Calumet shutter speed testers for changing the batteries. They come in handy for many things.

Watch on Ebay for infinity stops for sale. They can come in handy for additional lenses. I added a set on mine for a 210mm lens. The infinity stops make it faster to focus.

The battery in the camera is for a light.

Enjoy!
You bring up an interesting point. I just purchased a 90mm lens but didn't factor the infinity stops into play. Another topic I will have to research.

Alan Gales
4-Dec-2014, 20:43
You bring up an interesting point. I just purchased a 90mm lens but didn't factor the infinity stops into play. Another topic I will have to research.

You don't have to have them but they are nice when shooting portraiture. They help make it a little faster setting up especially when shooting kids! :)

Doug Herta
4-Dec-2014, 21:38
Fuji instant film with the 405 is a great way to go. I went to a couple weddings this summer with the Crown Graphic, instant film and flashbulbs. The old folks remember and really enjoy seeing something like that again. Even the most jaded teenagers think it is the COOLEST! I used a Grafmatic back with FP4 to take "formals" of the groomsmen. I sent each of them an 8X10 - it is something folks don't see or have anymore.

RodinalDuchamp
10-Dec-2014, 18:36
Thank you for the recommendation. I thought I would get an instant back for Christmas but for a super 8 camera instead

Kuzano
11-Dec-2014, 02:04
If you succumb to the desire to modify the camera, you will become a Gearhead.

If you leave it alone and use it as is, you will become a photographer!!!

There is little in between and it's a waste of your time to try to become both.

That said, I have and do still do some modding, mostly to lighten, and that's not really productive with this camera. I like the analogy about the sandwich and the candy bar.

Also, I have a fast rule I follow. I only modify camera's that are trashed. I would never consider taking a working, fully complete camera out of the market. This I hold particularly true with all the Graflex line. You will gain nothing but distracting your self from actual photography in doing mods on this camera. Use it to learn and then pass it on to the next person to learn with. When you find something you need that this camera won't do, buy another camera.

However, even as you advance, you will find little that this camera will not do in 4X5, and quite well at that. Has more movements than many photographers ever use outside a studio.

I wonder how many great large format images this world will NOT see and enjoy, while a Crown Graphic was sitting on someone's table, or out on a bench in the garage being dismantled and often never put back into action.

Those are my thoughts as a sinner and a Gearhead. Now I am 71 and don't have much time to create all those wonderful images. I could have purchase a Graflex camera NEW and have captured hundreds of images. Now, I am waiting for my two Travelwides to start capturing images... nothing to mod. Minimalist camera. Meanwhile I am using a beatup old Super Graphic which serves me well. Heavy yes, but I have no impairments nor physical limitations. What's a pound or two?